#115 - The Journey Back

There is always a lesson to learn when you watch “The Rifleman.” There is no better teacher for Mark than his father, Lucas McCain. Lucas teaches Mark from “The Bible” and from experience. Sometimes the lessons are hard ones and at times rather easy ones. They are still lessons learned! Let’s discuss the lessons learned in each episode. “Every lesson you learn makes you a better partner.” “Just remember the lessons!”
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

#115 - The Journey Back

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 23, 2018 11:05 am

We usually see Mark & Lucas having serious talks. But in The Journey back when Mark finds out about Will Temple we see a very serious talk between these two.

Also in Old Man Running, again we see a very touching scene between Mark and Grandpa Gibbs.

Same man, just different characters. I can't help but wonder if John Anderson was considered at one time for the role of Lucas McCain.

Guess we'll never know! :dontknow:
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: #115 - The Journey Back

Post by wildwest » Wed May 23, 2018 2:28 pm

I think we have all read this. they are good actors but I cannot imagine John Anderson or James Whitmore as our Sodboy.

Chuck Connors Initially Turned Down the Role of Lucas McCain
The producers first offered the role of Lucas McCain to Chuck Connors, a popular actor around that time but the wage offered by the show’s producers was so low that Connors rejected the offer. James Whitmore and John Andreson were next on the list, but even those two thought that the pay was not good enough. But soon the network realized that Connor was the perfect man for the job and decided to raise the salary.

I also loved the serious talk Lucas had with Mark under the tree in Sheridan Story and also the 'growing up time' speech in Long Gun from Tucscon
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Wed May 23, 2018 6:20 pm

The best conversations between Mark and Lucas (for me) were when Mark asked Lucas questions that made Lucas un-easy, :lol:

"Eddie's Daughter"
“Pa, what’s a hussy?”

"The Actress"
"Spite you being so much older, could you explain love to me?"

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Thu May 24, 2018 12:11 am

Those two conversations were so sweet!
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:48 pm

John Anderson was so wonderful at playing characters a good twenty older than he was in real life that is rather shocking to realize he had a pretty boyish face in real life.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:13 am

I love Mark kissing Lucas's cheek good night at the end of the episode!

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:54 pm

so do I....and today they probably would not show that. another episode Lucas was shot up.....and in bed and Mark covers him up and kisses his forehead....precious

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:51 pm

This is one of the series most ironic episodes with two of the most ironic lines. Will tells Mark he asked God to let him, but God was not listening. (Paraphrase).will also tells the Grady brothers they will hand if they shoot him. (Paraphrase). At the end of the episode, Will faces death by firing squad.

Return to ““Just Remember the Lessons!” - 2015 to present”