#18 - The Photographer

There is always a lesson to learn when you watch “The Rifleman.” There is no better teacher for Mark than his father, Lucas McCain. Lucas teaches Mark from “The Bible” and from experience. Sometimes the lessons are hard ones and at times rather easy ones. They are still lessons learned! Let’s discuss the lessons learned in each episode. “Every lesson you learn makes you a better partner.” “Just remember the lessons!”
Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Re: #18 - The Photographer

Post by Dana » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:18 am

I did not mean to sound judgmental and apologize if I came across that way. Believe me, I would be the last person to pass judgment on this subject. I do try to have a sense of humor, but sometimes it can be misconstrued.

I think the powers that be delighted in seeing what they could get past the censor. For example, there is sully Hobbs holding the razor near Sam barrows 's mid-section, implying Sam has been emotionally emasculated by life and circumstances. There was also miss Bertie telling duke Jennings Leavenworth is full of lonely men. An implied "shotgun wedding " actually seems kind of tame in comparison.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:15 am

Dana - I didn't take offense to your post. No apology is needed for me. We all have our individual perspectives and opinions about The Rifleman and life in general.

As I've said before - it takes a lot to offend me and I understand others may be more sensitive than I am about certain subjects. C'est la vie!

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:34 am

Re the "shotgun marriage": the powers that could have been lousy with math and chronology!

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:25 pm

I just read the secret of the cottingley fairies by f.r. maher. According to the author, many people in the late 1800's believed the camera could capture things invisible to the naked eye, such as fairies and departed loved ones, hence the term spirit photography.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:03 pm

shotgun marriage???........Did the show ever give any exact info on when Lucas married and Mark was born? they established the ranch when Mark was 10 in 1881 so Mark would have been born around 1870-1871.

in Tension they give the year.....said Margaret died same year as robbery....1871 and Mark was supposed to be 6 and that would work since it would have taken Lucas a couple of years to get to North Fork and Mark be 10 at that time. but if Mark was 6 in 1871 he would have been born when Lucas was in the Civil War.

in Safe Guard Lucas says they lost everything in the slump of 1878. but Margaret died 1871 so that throws dates off as well. none of the dates add up. I doubt the writers thought people would be looking at this 59 years later

opinion anyone??
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:36 pm

As excellent as the writing is, I don't know if the powers that be bothered overmuch with continuity-or maybe they were trying to keep us on our toes. Mark was a witeness at Abel Goss's trial. Three years later, Mark speculates about what it would be like to be a witness at Corey hazlitt's trial-or was Mark trying to get out of school.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Deleted dialogue

Mark : maybe you just didn't see so well!

Lucas: boy, you and I will be doing some serious talking tonight!

Mark :yeah, about how you need to remember to wear your contacts!

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:51 am

Occasionally, we see Lucas out of his comfort zone emotionally it when Mark pulls a stunt. However, when it comes to working with his hands (mind out of the gutter now), Lucas is a pretty competent fellow. Photography is the exception -sure, it was the first time Lucas had tried to develop a picture, but Lucas had no clue what Abel is talking about!

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:07 am

This is from the Victorians by a.n. Wilson. Re photography: the 1880's saw the invention of the dry plates which made the development of photographs a quick process. Also, in the 1880's , cameras became more portable and easier to move than cameras had been in the past. Plus, while not motion pictures, instead of just posing, in 1883, oxford photogapher Henry taunt showed people actually doing things in pictures.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:22 am

more good info on photography Dana. I guess Able Goss was right on point. I wonder if the photos of Lucas and Margaret wedding were photos or the earlier tintype? The one photo on the wall in the bedroom looks like a photo......

Oh the things we will never know about the McCains

About tintypes:
The name might come from the fact that tin shears were used to cut the iron plate. Time period: Introduced in 1856 and popular until about 1867.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Return to ““Just Remember the Lessons!” - 2015 to present”