#18 - The Photographer

There is always a lesson to learn when you watch “The Rifleman.” There is no better teacher for Mark than his father, Lucas McCain. Lucas teaches Mark from “The Bible” and from experience. Sometimes the lessons are hard ones and at times rather easy ones. They are still lessons learned! Let’s discuss the lessons learned in each episode. “Every lesson you learn makes you a better partner.” “Just remember the lessons!”
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Re: #18 - The Photographer

Post by cowgirl » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:31 am

You guys, these posts are so funny! Thanks!
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:55 am

I watched this episode last night and realized for the first time how calm Lucas was with Bart Jameson. After all, Bart Jameson put Mark ( and others) in danger by firing into North fork's main street.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:10 am

What was the reason for the bond/association between Whiteside and Jameson? I know they were business partners, but I got the impression the two never liked each other. Did Jameson know a big secret and have a hold on Whiteside? Any thoughts?

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:30 am

We learn why Lucas is known as The Rifleman, not The Mixing Dangerous Chemicals Man!

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:15 pm

ha Dana...you're on a roll
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:58 am

Thank you. Actually, I did read being a photographer was a fairly hazardous profession-back then, due to working with all those chemicals.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:06 pm

wow ... maybe Abel was sniffin' the solvents ... ha ... thats probably why they put their heads under the cover thing

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:44 pm

wildwest wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:06 pm
wow ... maybe Abel was sniffin' the solvents ... ha ... thats probably why they put their heads under the cover thing

[/quote

Ha! Ha!

Was the dark material used to shut out light and enhance concentration or for some other reason? Any ideas?

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:51 pm

good question....i guess just to block the light from the exposure of the slide????????

The history of the camera can be traced much further back than the introduction of photography. Cameras evolved from the camera obscura, and continued to change through many generations of photographic technology.

The forerunner to the photographic camera was the camera obscura. Camera obscura (Latin for "dark room") is the natural optical phenomenon that occurs when an image of a scene at the other side of a screen (or for instance a wall) is projected through a small hole in that screen and forms an inverted image (left to right and upside down) on a surface opposite to the opening. The oldest known record of this principle is a description by Han Chinese philosopher Mozi (ca. 470 to ca. 391 BC)

Early fixed images
The first partially successful photograph of a camera image was made in approximately 1816 by Nicéphore Niépce using a very small camera of his own making and a piece of paper coated with silver chloride,

Dry plates
Collodion dry plates had been available since 1857, thanks to the work of Désiré van Monckhoven, but it was not until the invention of the gelatin dry plate in 1871 by Richard Leach Maddox that the wet plate process could be rivaled in quality and speed. The 1878 discovery that heat-ripening a gelatin emulsion greatly increased its sensitivity finally made so-called "instantaneous" snapshot exposures practical. For the first time, a tripod or other support was no longer an absolute necessity.

Judy
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Judy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:39 pm

That is some good information, Wildwest! :grinning-cowboy:

Return to ““Just Remember the Lessons!” - 2015 to present”