#54 - Surveyors

There is always a lesson to learn when you watch “The Rifleman.” There is no better teacher for Mark than his father, Lucas McCain. Lucas teaches Mark from “The Bible” and from experience. Sometimes the lessons are hard ones and at times rather easy ones. They are still lessons learned! Let’s discuss the lessons learned in each episode. “Every lesson you learn makes you a better partner.” “Just remember the lessons!”
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

#54 - Surveyors

Post by cowgirl » Sat May 06, 2017 5:08 pm

cowgirl:21988 wrote:“Every lesson you learn makes you a better partner.”   “Just remember the lessons!”  ~Short Rope for a Tall Man episode #103
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: #54 - Surveyors

Post by cowgirl » Sun May 07, 2017 7:44 pm

Rhiannon:22652 wrote:Just a quick lesson when Lucas doesn't believe Mark and just goes by the past again (he does this a few times, doesn't he? Like with Julia in The Boarding House), because of those two times before with Mark; thinking Mark didn't know what he heard. Mark learned that running away didn't solve the problem. (He was so cute hiding in the hay). I'm sure there's more to this one but I don't have time to get into it right now. These just came to mind and I wanted to mention these lessons : )

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Sun May 07, 2017 7:45 pm

Cowgirlatheart:22654 wrote:I think one of the lessons here involves learning to "read" your child.  Lucas had a problem with this, especially as Mark got older - not just when he was telling the truth or not, but just how much certain things meant to him - like the problem they had communicating in "The Vision" and how deeply Mark was hurting.  Basing our reactions on the past is our first, but not necessarily the right thing to do.  If our love is unconditional, second chances are what it's all about.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Sun May 07, 2017 7:45 pm

Michelle P.:22655 wrote:Lucas was an excellent Rifleman, BUT he was a typical parent.  I can relate to him in many ways...Unfortunately, parenting doesn't come with an instruction manual.

I give Lucas all kinds of kudos for the wonderful job he did - and for messing up  Who wants to watch a show about a perfect father anyhow???

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Sun May 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Cowgirlatheart:22667 wrote:I totally agree Michelle, Lucas was a great parent.  I realize we all need to learn as we go.  I just thought it was a possible lesson to be learned - perhaps by all of us.  
:oops: :oops: :oops:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Sun May 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Random rambler:54475 wrote:Did Lucas really learn to listen to Mark from this experience?  I am not so sure. In a time for singing,  Lucas brushed mark off,  thinking Mark was being rude and interrupting him and Micah,  when Mark was trying to tell Lucas about something else he found suspicious.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:11 am

This is one of my favorite episodes! I watched it last night again and something occurred to me. Were the surveyors picking up some extra money pulling bank jobs? Elliott did not seem disbelieving, indignant, or even angry about len and charlie pulling a job. Elliott just seemed like he did not want to participate. Could mark's innocence and admiration made elliott decide to go straight-albeit too late?

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:16 am

Virtues of the villainous : Charlie was hesitant about pulling a job on Sunday. Len liked to tell the truth and did not smoke.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:24 am

When Lucas says men living together alone get on each other's nerves, referring to len and charlie, was he also speaking of himself and Mark?

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:26 pm

Dana....good point!!
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Return to ““Just Remember the Lessons!” - 2015 to present”