#134 - The Tinhorn

There is always a lesson to learn when you watch “The Rifleman.” There is no better teacher for Mark than his father, Lucas McCain. Lucas teaches Mark from “The Bible” and from experience. Sometimes the lessons are hard ones and at times rather easy ones. They are still lessons learned! Let’s discuss the lessons learned in each episode. “Every lesson you learn makes you a better partner.” “Just remember the lessons!”
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

#134 - The Tinhorn

Post by cowgirl » Sat May 06, 2017 6:11 pm

cowgirl:21890 wrote:“Every lesson you learn makes you a better partner.”   “Just remember the lessons!”  ~Short Rope for a Tall Man episode #103
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: #134 - The Tinhorn

Post by cowgirl » Sun May 07, 2017 6:58 pm

wildwest:55803 wrote:I usually don't finding fault in Lucas     cause he's just so cool

but   in this episode I don't understand why the writers did not let Lucas tell Millie why he was playing poker.  it made Lucas look arrogant toward Milly.  Lucas finally told Mark because Mark was getting into fights about it.  and Micah knew about it.  The writers should have had Lucas tell Milly because he trusted and valued her.  the scene with Milly made no sense at all

He could have told Millie and still played poker undercover.  think the writers messed that point up.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Deneen:55809 wrote:Hmmm - Not telling Milly about the gambling is something to ponder - I guess.

Lucas was "dating" Milly but I don't think he was in love with her. In "Closer Than A Brother" - Lucas tells Micah that he is second to Mark. Where does that leave Milly?

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Random rambler:55810 wrote:Granted, Lucas was not a doctor or a lawyer, but most of us deal with information at work we are not allowed to discuss.  Millie and (especially)  Mark could not accidentally let something slip they didn't know.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:00 pm

The look on Mark's face afer he sees his hero, his pa, the rather puritanical and prudish Lucas, not only gambling but flirting with a saloon girl is classic. Mark is disillusioned and struggling not to cry.

Later, Mark is so angry with Lucas, He flinches and pulls away from Lucas when Lucas tries to check Mark's bruises. Mark even implies he does not need his pa as Millie took care of him.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:10 pm

wildwest:55803 wrote:I usually don't finding fault in Lucas     cause he's just so cool

but   in this episode I don't understand why the writers did not let Lucas tell Millie why he was playing poker.  it made Lucas look arrogant toward Milly.  Lucas finally told Mark because Mark was getting into fights about it.  and Micah knew about it.  The writers should have had Lucas tell Milly because he trusted and valued her.  the scene with Milly made no sense at all

He could have told Millie and still played poker undercover.  think the writers messed that point up.
Lucas only truly trusted Mark and Micah. There were times Lucas tried to protect Mark from knowing what was going on but he often explained things to Mark as a "need to know" basis at that particular time.
Lucas didn't always share/discuss things with the women he dated.

He didn't explain to Mark why he shot Simon Lee in the hand.
I looked him straight in the eye and spoke to him as firmly as I could so there would be no more discussion about what happened today. "Mark, let me tell you something. When you get a little older, your going to find out there are some thing's you want to forget. This is something I want to forget. Alright?"

I turned to Micah. I knew that what had been said would always be between me and him. We both knew that some secrets were better left buried.

Micah and Marshal Burks were the only two that knew why Lucas went to "Wyoming". Milly and Mark were not told. Micah was certainly Lucas' confidant.

Lucas had a temper - It makes me wonder how he kept that from Margaret? :dontknow:

In my mind - I find a way to justify what Lucas does even when I think he's wrong. I just LUV Lucas!!!! :lol:

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:09 am

Deneen I agree with you!!! about the poker playing and also when Lucas went to Wyoming. He could have - should have confided in Milly since he valued her and would let Mark stay with her I think the writers did not really know how to let Lucas co-exist with women. or maybe the writers thought Lucas would appear weak if he confided in a woman. I agree with you, they messed up on that one several times.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:32 am

I have to go with Lucas on this one. Most jobs frown on employees discussing confidential information with friends and family-granted Mark and Millie did not know Lucas was on a job, though.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:49 am

Deneen, I really don't buy Lucas's statement that Margaret never saw him lose his temper. He has idealized the relationship. I do think he was rather henpecked by her, though. Lucas and Millie had words when they first met. Lou and Lucas leered a bit, but their first encounter was rather pointed. If these scenes are any indication, then Lucas and Margaret probably butted heads.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:20 am

Dana - Why do you think Lucas was hen-pecked? :thinking:

I can't use the word I want to use :giggle: so I'll just say I think Lucas was hopelessly in love with Margaret. I just can't see Lucas as being hen-pecked.

Lucas had competition before and after he married Margaret. :yes:

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Return to ““Just Remember the Lessons!” - 2015 to present”