#1 - The Sharpshooter

There is always a lesson to learn when you watch “The Rifleman.” There is no better teacher for Mark than his father, Lucas McCain. Lucas teaches Mark from “The Bible” and from experience. Sometimes the lessons are hard ones and at times rather easy ones. They are still lessons learned! Let’s discuss the lessons learned in each episode. “Every lesson you learn makes you a better partner.” “Just remember the lessons!”
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

#1 - The Sharpshooter

Post by cowgirl » Sat May 06, 2017 6:34 pm

cowgirl:21890 wrote:“Every lesson you learn makes you a better partner.”   “Just remember the lessons!”  ~Short Rope for a Tall Man episode #103
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: #1 - The Sharpshooter

Post by cowgirl » Sun May 07, 2017 8:53 am

Cowgirlatheart:22084 wrote:I think Mark summed up one lesson from this first show when he said "I'm not looking back, I'm just remembering".  If we constantly "look back" at our life we have no way of enjoying the present and no future to look forward to.  Remembering is something we need to do, especially the good times and remembering the lessons we learned from the bad times (not the times themselves) help us to avoid those same mistakes (hopefully).  :smile:  :smile:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Sun May 07, 2017 8:53 am

Rhiannon:22087 wrote:I agree Cowgirlatheart and I really liked the way Lucas seemed to ponder Mark's words and then said "What do you say we start from here?". Mark's sweet smile and the way he said "Fine" showed he had trust in his Pa and for their future.

Thanks for this new room, Cowgirl. I love it!!

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Sun May 07, 2017 8:54 am

Michelle P.:22091 wrote:Another lesson learned in here...and I don't know that Mark understood the whole thing until maybe he was older and looked back on it, but it's that there is NOTHING in life more important to a father (or mother) than his children.  No matter how proud you are, or how much money is involved, the safety and well-being of your child comes FIRST...

This was a wonderful, wonderful lesson to start with in this pilot of the five season show.  The audience knew that yest, this is a shoot 'em up Western (perhaps one of the most violent of the time), but there is also a little boy, so be prepared because this little boy comes FIRST!!!

And if Lucas had won the turkey shoot, it wouldn't have been as great.  The fact that he lost...made him the winner!

Lesson learned:  I love you more than anything else in the world!!!!

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Michelle P.:22092 wrote:
Cowgirlatheart wrote:I think Mark summed up one lesson from this first show when he said "I'm not looking back, I'm just remembering".  If we constantly "look back" at our life we have no way of enjoying the present and no future to look forward to.  Remembering is something we need to do, especially the good times and remembering the lessons we learned from the bad times (not the times themselves) help us to avoid those same mistakes (hopefully).  :smile:  :smile:
And this is a lesson we ALL need (at least I do!!!  How many times do i look back and get stuck there?  There's one time in my life that is so confusing...My disobedience cost me the man God had chosen for me, yet at the same time, it gave me my son...That's hard to swallow.  Yet if I "look back" on that, I can't help but to think 'what if.'  Yet, on Remembering Back, I can remember the mistake I made, try to teach Dakota not to make the same one, and remember a harsh lesson learned.

I think I learned as much from "Pa" in this episode as Mark did.

"What do you say we start from here?"  Everyday, God asks me that question when I get to thinkin', and everyday I say "fine" with that same little smile Mark had...

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cowgirlatheart:22093 wrote:I know this lesson also belongs in "The Surveyors".  Lucas told Mark "I Love you more than anything else in the whole world".  It was a recurring theme in every show.  Lucas never failed to make sure Mark knew how loved he was.  Yes, Lucas lost his cool at times, and said things that were wrong or in the wrong way, or in anger.  No one is perfect, and we've all done that at one time or another (I know I have).  We all need to reinforce this same lesson with our own families every day.  I make sure there is never a phone call, a visit or any communication with my sister, my daughter or my grand daughter that doesn't end with the words I love you.  Then I know that should anything happen, to me or them, those are the words that will always stay with them - possibly the last words they heard.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Sun May 07, 2017 8:55 am

Michelle P.:22095 wrote:Totally agree!  And my nine year old son HATES it!  When I drop him off at school in the morning, I say "I love you," and sometimes if I say it after the door opens, he'll be like "MOO-OOM!"

When I talk to him on the phone, I say I love you.  Depending on who is listening, I usually get an "I love you too" back.

When we're at home, I'll tell Dakota I love him.  Sometimes he declares, "I know!  You tell me EVERY SINGLE Day like 100 times a day!"

Then he tells me sometimes I SHOW him so I don't have to TELL him.  I didn't really hear those words much when I was growing up, and I longed to just hear those three words.  I told Dakota that if I have a car accident and die on my way to work, I want him to remember the last three words that came out of my mouth - and I want those words to be "I LOVE YOU!"  There are no greater words!

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Sun May 07, 2017 8:56 am

cowgirl:22142 wrote:WOW!  You guys are awesome!  This is a great thread & your feelings sure do shine through!
there is NOTHING in life more important to a father (or mother) than his children.  No matter how proud you are, or how much money is involved, the safety and well-being of your child comes FIRST...
This is so true for my daughter & grandson are first, unconditional love!

As a kid, I never hear the words "I love you" from my parents.  I knew my father loved me, no doubt.  But I can't help but wonder if my Mom did?  She never said & I couldn't feel it.

I've learned a lot from Lucas & his love for Mark.  I always wanted the same kind of relationship with my daughter as Lucas & Mark had.  

I thank God everyday for my daughter & grandson for the love & the relationship we have!
"I Love you more than anything else in the whole world".

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Sun May 07, 2017 8:57 am

Cowgirlatheart:22145 wrote:You are so right Cowgirl.  My daughter and I have the kind of relationship that lets us talk to each other about ANYTHING and I am so grateful for that.  I am trying to nurture that same kind of relationship with my grand daughter, and I think it has started to sink in.  We should all be thanking God each and every day for those we love and that love us.  That's really the only thing that matters.  Unlike anything else in this messed up world, love can't be bought and sold and all the money in the world can't bring happiness if you have no one to share it with.  Love should be our motivation every day and our prayer every night.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Sun May 07, 2017 8:57 am

winterhawk:22170 wrote:Is do wish people could live by some of the lessons learned from this topic.

Return to ““Just Remember the Lessons!” - 2015 to present”