TV Western Spin-off #3 Johnny Ringo/video & photos

One good spin-off deserves another. I will post a TV Western show that was a spin-off of another TV Western show. Let's see how well you know where some of these westerns came from. After we guess the answers, I will put some video in about that show for everyone to enjoy. Okay, lets just see how good you are?
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

TV Western Spin-off #3 Johnny Ringo/video & photos

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 11:05 am

cowgirl:594 wrote:Can you guess just who this Cowboy is and the weapon he used?
(I thought the guys would be interested in this TV Western, also because of this Cowboy's gun)

Ex-gunfighter, now the sheriff of a small Western town, attempts to keep the peace.  

This rather average western rode into the sunset after one season. Originated as an installment of the TV anthology series on Dick Powell's  "Zane Grey Theater" Dick Powell's Four Star Production Company gave us this TV Western.

The gun this Cowboy carried was rare and was made especially for this show.  After the show ended, Dick Powell gave this weapon to the star of the show, which he originally purchased at Harrah's and had re-fitted for cartridge firing by Stembridge Gun Works.  This is the only gun used in the show.  A Colt .45 is sometimes seen when the gun is "fanned" or when a "stunt gun" was needed.

This cowboy was the only prime-time TV cowboy to solely compose (lyrics and music) and sing the theme for his own show.

Can you guess just who this Cowboy is and the weapon he used?

Catch ya' later!

p.s.  After you guess this TV Western I will be posting some snippets from the pilot and also another episode I thought you might enjoy.  And yes, just who are those character actors?
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TV Western Spin-off #3 Johnny Ringo/video & photos

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 11:05 am

PJH:602 wrote:I just watched this one on Saturday.  The show was called Johnny Ringo and it starred Don Durant.

The gun he used, I think, was a LeMat revolver that had a second barrel that used a shotgun shell.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 11:25 am

cowgirl:629 wrote:Good work PJH!  You guessed this before I even got my videos loaded.  :wink:

Ex-gunfighter Johnny Ringo, now the sheriff of a small Western town, attempts to keep the peace.  

This rather average western rode into the sunset after one season. Originated as an installment of the TV anthology series on Dick Powell's "Zane Grey Theater" Dick Powell's Four Star Production Company gave us this TV Western.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEzAUMe6KYU

This cowboy was the only prime-time TV cowboy to solely compose lyrics and music and sing the theme for his own show.

The Le Mat Johnny carried was rare and was made especially for this show.  After the show ended, Dick Powell gave this weapon to the star of the show, which he originally purchased at Harrah's and had re-fitted for cartridge firing by Stembridge Gun Works.  This is the only gun used in the show.  A Colt .45 is sometimes seen when the gun is "fanned" or when a "stunt gun" was needed.

Here is a video to the episode "Cully".  This shows how Cully became Johnny Ringo's deputy.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF_ks41CxUU

See any familiar faces in these episodes?

Catch ya' later!

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 11:25 am

Michelle P.:630 wrote:Looks like a pretty interesting show!  I wonder why it only lasted one season?  I like the gun...boy, would that be some surprise for an unsuspecting outlaw???

I noticed some music in this show (first clip and last clip) that was played on Rifleman.

I also noticed Mark Goddard (who played in Mark's Rifle) and James Coburn (High Country) from Rifleman.  I saw James in Bonanza yesterday too.  I thought I saw Paul Fix in the first clip, but I didn't get a good look at the guy.

Thanks for posting!  Another show I want to watch (boy are these Westerns addicting!)

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 11:26 am

cowgirl:641 wrote:That's funny about the music Michelle.  The music for this show and many others were done by the "Theme Weaver" himself - Herschel Burke Gilbert.  Now you know why you heard some of The Rifleman themes in this show.

I love these old TV Westerns, I am a collector of them.  I guess you can tell.  I have a long way to go to get a lot more of these.  I'm working on a couple others I'm trying to get to share with all of you. Keep your fingers crossed!

Catch ya' later!

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 11:27 am

rooster davis:1225 wrote:Cowgirl and I talked about that wacky seven shooter a long time ago. Whew, what a strange piece that was. In the opening scene where Ringo fans his revolver, it brought to mind something I read very recently - chances are that 'fanning' a revolver was something that just never happened much. I guess maybe once or twice someone managed to hit something (or someone) by doing that but as a rule, fanning a gun makes it near impossible to really expect to hit anything. (Unless you're Grid Maule perhaps...)

Return to “Spin Offs - TV Westerns Archives”