TV Western Spin-off #7 The Virginian/video & photos

One good spin-off deserves another. I will post a TV Western show that was a spin-off of another TV Western show. Let's see how well you know where some of these westerns came from. After we guess the answers, I will put some video in about that show for everyone to enjoy. Okay, lets just see how good you are?
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

TV Western Spin-off #7 The Virginian/video & photos

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 11:33 am

PJH:2703 wrote:This spin-off TV series began life as a best-selling western novel, published in 1902. Several movies have been made from this book; the most famous and critically acclaimed are the 1929 and 1946 versions.

The first pilot for this spin-off was made in 1958 and featured a hero dressed in western wear with lace cuffs, shiny boots, and skin-tight pants.  Understandably, this pilot went nowhere with audiences who wanted their leading men to be like Lucas McCain, Cheyenne, and Josh Randall.

Using the same actor, a more successful second pilot was produced in 1962 and featured “the mysterious stranger who never reveals his identity.  No one knew his origin, only that he was fast with a gun and short on words.”  The hero’s name was never revealed during the entire run of this series.

This series was set in the 1880-90s in Wyoming and ran from 1962-1970.  It was broadcast in color and had an ensemble cast that supported the hero in his quest for justice.  The show relied on strong characterizations by both a regular cast and weekly guest stars who included Joseph Cotton, Paul Fix, George C. Scott, Ricardo Montalban, Leonard Nimoy, Leslie Nielsen, Warren Oates, Claude Akins, Royal Dano, Harrison Ford, Robert Redford, Pernell Roberts, William Shatner, etc.

Who can answer any or all of these questions?

Question1
Can you name the show, the main character, and the actor who portrayed him?

Question 2
Can you name two co-stars—character names and the actors who portrayed them?

Bonus Question
During its last year, this series changed it’s name and jumped ahead in time to the early 1900s.  Several new characters where added.  What was the name of this spin-off of a spin-off?

Hints
This was the first 90 minute western TV series
The setting for this show was the Shiloh Ranch near Medicine Bow, WY
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TV Western Spin-off #7 The Virginian/video & photos

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 12:21 pm

Dianna:2747 wrote:I think I know this. But I answered the last one so I'll let someone else answer.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 12:21 pm

PJH:2771 wrote:Hints have been added to the original post for Spin-off #7.  Take and look and see if you can identify this great western TV series and its very handsome star and co-star.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Michelle P.:2774 wrote:PJH, I haven't watched that many western shows up to now, but this all sounds so familiar.  It's driving me crazy!  I know when I hear the answer, I'm gonna think "Duh!"

Well, Diana?????

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dianna:2781 wrote:When i first starting reading , Zorro and The Lone Ranger came to mind first, but when I saw Wyoming, it all fell in place.

I"m going to say   The Virginian played by James Drury.
      There was Judge garth- Lee J Cobb and Trampas-Doug McClure
     Spin-off was called Men From Shiloh

There was an episode where Randy and Betsy sang Buttons and Bows.I drove my family crazy , I sung that song for days.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Michelle P.:2783 wrote:Okay...I was thinking Lone Ranger, but then I thought no.  But I didn't think of Zoro!!!!

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 12:42 pm

PJH:2795 wrote:Dianna, you are exactly right.  Good for you.

Spin-off #7 is The Virginian, 1962-1971.  It starred James Drury as the Virginian (we never learned his name).  Co-stars included Doug McClure as Trampas, Lee J. Cobb as Judge Henry Garth, Gary Clarke as Steve Hill, Roberta Shore as Betsy Garth, Randy Boone as Randy Garth, and Clu Gulager as Deputy Emmett Ryker (second season).  When Lee J. Cobb left the show, he was replaced by Charles Bickford and then John McIntire. Throughout its entire run, only actors James Drury and Doug McClure stayed on until the final episode,

The Virginian started life as a best-selling western novel by Own Wister in 1902.  There were many Virginian movies---the two most famous featured Gary Cooper (1929) and Joel McCrea(1946).

The original 1958 half-hour pilot saw The Virginian, fresh from the Civil War and veterinary school, arriving from Virginia to help upgrade Judge Henry's stock. With the half-hour format limiting character and story development, the pilot failed to sell. And James Drury in lace cuffs and tight pants with a tiny pistol did not fit the image of a western hero.

Revue Productions, decided to give The Virginian another try. On September 16, 1962 James Drury made his second appearance as the Virginian. Only this time he was dressed in attire more suited to his role as foreman of Shiloh Ranch.

Paul Arnold Green writes:  Drury recalled the screen test that landed him the role for the second time.  “After the first test they wanted me to lose weight. This I did, went back for another test, the same thing happened and I went back a third time. There were about 75 actors all after the same role. The Friday before the Monday we started shooting the series, they informed me I'd be playing The Virginian!”.
The Virginian became the foreman of the Shiloh ranch in Medicine Bow, Wyoming, owned by Judge Henry Garth and his daughter Bestsy and son Randy.  Trampas was the wild, youthful wrangler who found it difficult to follow orders.  Steve Hill was another cowhand and Emmett Ryker, the deputy.

The Virginian was one of the leading adult westerns, relying on great stories and characterizations by both the regular cast and a host of guest stars. The series was action packed, with lots of excitement and suspense along with some very comical moments (especially with Trampas). The nine year run of The Virginian produced 249 episodes and was consistently in the top 10 in ratings.

Major changes were made during the last year of the series. So many changes, in fact, that many consider the last year a spin-off.  The name was changed to The Men From Shiloh.  The Virginian and Trampas remained.  Lee Majors (new hand Tate) and Stewart Granger (new owner Col. McKenzie) were added.  The look of the series also changed---different hats, beards, mustaches, more imaginative costumes.  The viewers did not consider these changes to be improvements and the show went off the air in 1971.

As you watch the video below, remember that The Virginian was a 90 minute western. The story unfolds at a much slower pace than the 30 minute westerns of the era. Check the next post for photos

1958 The Virginian 1962 - 1971 Opening and Closing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjjUlljGNK0

The Virginian (known as The Men From Shiloh in its final year) is an American Western television series.

Season 1. Pilot Episode. REQUEST. The Virginian is on his way to meet Judge Henry at his ranch but things don't go according to plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUt-eReRkSA&list=PLoK_pzUwVrqXSGK8tF4N0p_diF0uW0tHk&index=1

The Virginian/Star Trek Connections, DeForrest Kelly and Leonard Nimoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDk6UDtBDo0

The Virginian/Star Trek Connections, DeForrest Kelly and Leonard Nimoy. Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubLz-g6jzyA

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 12:52 pm

PJH:2797 wrote:Several of you thought that Spin-off # 7 might be The Lone Ranger or Zorro, because of the hint that we never knew the main character's real name.  Actually, in the pilot episodes for both shows, we do learn the real names of the Lone Ranger and Zorro.  I won't say anything more, since this information may become a clue in future spin-offs!!!   :razz:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 1:50 pm

The Virginian played by James Drury

The Virginian and Trampus played by Doug McClure

The Shiloh Ranch in Wyoming Territory of the 1890s is owned in sequence by Judge Garth, the Grainger brothers, and Col. MacKenzie. It is the setting for a variety of stories, many more based on character and relationships than the usual western.

*FYI - Chuck Connors appeared on The Virginian / Men from Shiloh (1962–1971) in
The Animal aired January 20, 1971.

Return to “Spin Offs - TV Westerns Archives”