TV Western Spin-off #9 Magnificent Seven/video & photos

One good spin-off deserves another. I will post a TV Western show that was a spin-off of another TV Western show. Let's see how well you know where some of these westerns came from. After we guess the answers, I will put some video in about that show for everyone to enjoy. Okay, lets just see how good you are?
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

TV Western Spin-off #9 Magnificent Seven/video & photos

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 1:52 pm

PJH:3261 wrote:Spin-off #9

This TV Western was a spin-off of a very popular 1960 western movie of the same name.  It was an hour show, filmed in color that ran from 1998-2000.  Noted for its gritty realism, this adult western used an ensemble cast of men who brought justice to the fictitious western town of Four Corners, immediately after the civil war.  

This show was cancelled after its first season, but brought back for a second season after a huge campaign by loyal fans. Critically acclaimed, this show was noted for its realism in costuming, set decoration, and writing.

The well-known musical theme that was originally composed for the movie was also used for the TV spin-off. This theme is easily one of the most recognizable pieces of music for western fans that was ever created.

Robert Vaughn, who appeared in the original movie had a reoccurring role in the TV spin-off, but as a different character.

Clues to the indentity of this spin-off
1.Ensemble cast of several men
2.Well-known musical theme
3.Robert Vaughn appeared in both the original movie and the spin-off
4.One of the few shows to be reinstated by the same network that cancelled it
5.One of the characters in the TV series carried a Mare’s Leg gun (this type of gun was not used in the original movie)

Who can answer any or all of these questions?

Questions to Answer
1.What was the name of this TV western spin-off?
2.Can you name one of the male characters and the actor who portrayed him?

Bonus Question

1.Why does one of the main characters carry a Mare’s Leg gun?

Hints #1
1.  The name of the main character in the TV spin-off was Chris Larabee. His name in the original movie was Chris Adams.
2,  The second character was named Vin in both the movie and the spin-off.
3.  The famous theme song, written by Elmer Bernstein, was used in a commercial for Marlboro cigarettes.
4.  Robert Vaughn, Judge Travis in the spin-off, played Lee in the original movie.

Hints #2

1.  The ensemble cast consisted of seven men.
2.  The original movie of the same name was based on a Japanese movie, The Seven Samurai.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TV Western Spin-off #9 Magnificent Seven/video & photos

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 1:53 pm

Michelle P.:3422 wrote:I know I SHOULD know what this is, but I don't...some of it sounds really familiar...

I wanted to say The Young Riders, but that series was in the early 90's, I think...and they were all young - Vaughn wasn't in it...

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 1:54 pm

PJH:3423 wrote:Michelle, it's not the Young Riders but you have the right idea.  The cast consists of a group of men who band together to fight outlaws and the generally bad people that drift into their town.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Dianna:3432 wrote:I watch this every morning. The Magnificent Seven.
Chris Larabee is played by Michael Biehn
The guy carries a Mare's leg gun because I think his character was suppose to be like Josh Randall of Wanted Dead or Alive, played by Steve McQueen.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 1:55 pm

PJH:3434 wrote:Dianna, you are exactly right :grin:  This is one of my favorite shows and if yor are watching it every morning you must like it too.

The Magnificent Seven

This TV Western Spin-off was based on the 1960 movie of the same name, which is based on the Japanese film The Seven Samurai. The one hour show ran from 1998-2000.

Seven men roaming the western territory come together to protect a poor Seminole village from renegade soldiers (in the movie it was a Mexican village). They are then hired by Territorial Judge Oren Travis (Robert Vaughn) to protect a budding town from the outlaws, killers and other riffraff that constantly threatened to destroy it. Each episode was action-packed with plenty of gunfire and also humor.  

One of the most interesting parts of this program was the character development of the individual seven men and the camaraderie and friendship between these strangers that grew over the course of the series. Once loners, all of these men were distrustful of everyone in the beginning, but became a family of sorts that protected and defended each other by the end of the second season.

It was also evident that each actor embraced the role he played and enjoyed being in this series.  As Anthony Starke says in a brief sound-bite that is included below (and I’m paraphrasing here) “you get to wear great clothes, shoot guns, ride horses, and kiss girls---what’s not to like.”

The Magnificent Seven was one of only a handful of shows that was cancelled and then brought back by the same network.  It was cancelled at the end of the first season, but fans gathered via a website and mass emailed the CBS brass and local affiliates.  They also raised $5,000 to place ads in USA Today and Variety.  Ultimately the show was brought back for a second season, but weak ratings due to stiff competition and declining interest in the TV western resulted in cancellation.

Here are the characters and the men who portrayed them as described in Wikipedia:

Chris Larabee
Played by Michael Biehn, Larabee is closely based on the "Chris Adams" character played by Yul Brynner in the original film. He lost his wife and son in a fire some time before the start of the series and this has turned him into a reserved but deadly individual. Most of his embittered battle is to find out who killed his wife and son; because of this he has a very cold outlook on life. He tends to trust no one, and even seems to have very little faith in his own men.

Vin Tanner
Played by Eric Close and based on the role of Vin played by Steve McQueen in the original 1960 movie. He carries a Mare's Leg, in tribute to McQueen's character Josh Randall in Wanted: Dead or Alive. Vin is a former buffalo and bounty hunter and a superb tracker; he and Chris originally form the group, and as time goes on he proves to be far more trusting than Chris.

Ezra Standish
Played by Anthony Starke, Ezra is a Southern card shark with elements of Lee (Robert Vaughn) and Harry Luck (Brad Dexter). Ezra struggles the most with moral dilemmas as he knows his con-artist ways are unethical, and joining up with the others seems to make him realize just how much he wants to change his ways. He is the member of the group most affected by parents; namely, his mother, who taught him everything he knows. However, he doesn't seem to realize until he joins the group that his mother's teachings were wrong.

Josiah Sanchez
Played by Ron Perlman, he is a former gunfighter and preacher who has trouble forgiving himself for acts he committed in the past. Much of his animosity towards himself stems from his father, who was a missionary. He is the moral force in the group.

Nathan Jackson
Played by Rick Worthy, Nathan was a former slave who served as a stretcher-bearer in the Civil War, and learned a great deal about medicine during that time. He serves as the group's "healer", setting their broken bones and sewing up their gunshot wounds.  Nathan is an expert knife-thrower and carries a set of three knives always strapped to his back.

J.D. Dunne
Played by Andrew Kavovit, J.D. came from the East Coast where his mother was a servant and he served as a stable-boy; his mother saved money to send him to college, but there wasn't enough, so instead he came out West to become a gunfighter. He is loosely based on the character of Chico in the 1960 original, as the slightly off-kilter, hotheaded young greenhorn with little experience but quite a bit of zeal. J.D. seems to be the character that takes the most beating, literally; enemies of the group seem to see him as the weakest link and therefore pick him to beat upon. Of the group, he has the most near-death experiences during the series.

Buck Wilmington
Played by Dale Midkiff, Buck is an old friend of Chris's and the womanizer of the group, seizing any opportunity presented to flirt with any woman who'll have him. At one point he coins this uncanny ability to romance any woman "animal magnetism". He has a great fondness for J.D. and takes the younger under his wing, teaching him the tricks of the west and constantly spouting off advice. As time goes on Buck becomes increasingly protective of J.D., despite the fact that J.D. wants to grow and learn on his own.

There were three additional reoccurring characters:

Robert Vaughn as Judge Oren Travis, hired the Seven to protect the growing town.

Laurie Holden as Mary Travis is a widow and daughter-in-law of the judge. She owns the local newspaper (her husband was killed by gunmen) and serves as the potential love interest for Chris.

Michelle Phillips as Maude Standish, is Ezra’s mother, and all-around grifter and con-artist.  Michelle Phillips is wonderful in this role and delivers deviousness with Southern charm.

The Magnificent Seven TV series (22 episodes) is available on DVD from Amazon.  It is currently showing on the Encore Western Channel.

Intro to the show
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huX1e4rr ... re=related[/video]

Season 2 Vendetta
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_knnduM9t0[/video]

Clip with Robert Vaughn
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDR7yMog ... re=related[/video]

News Feature
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WA_O9qXCeA[/video]

Fan Video
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRpkgJV6 ... 4F&index=3[/video]

The Magnificent Seven TV Series

The Magnificent Seven, The Movie

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 1:56 pm

Michelle P.:3435 wrote:Duh!!!!!  See, I told you I should know what it is!!!!

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 1:57 pm

cowgirl:3680 wrote:This is a great TV Westerns series.  I was really impressed with this show.  I haven't seen them all but what I have seen is really good.  In fact Encore is running these now.  They are in the second season.

A few years back I was invited to call in and talk about this TV western on the Dave White Show/puter radio.  I was sorry to say, but I knew of these, but had never watched them before.  I certainly was missing a great western.

Of course the movies are great also.  The first Seven movie is the best, pure classic, but I do have all of them and I have enjoyed them.  I even got Robert Fuller to sign the DVD he was in.  What a nice man, great story teller.  He loves the public & they love him!  I have met him several times.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

PJH:3689 wrote:Cowgirl, I agree completely that The Magnificent Seven was a great western---tremendously underrated.  I have the complete set of episodes and never get bored watching them.  Too bad there were only two seasons.

I sometimes try and figure out what I like best---the characters, the writing, the authentic look and feel of the set, the costumes???  They all add up to a great show.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dianna:3694 wrote:Yes PJ, it is one of my favs. I love how , to me, each character is unique and different from the other.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 10, 2017 1:58 pm

PJH:3697 wrote:Dianna, I really liked how the characters developed over time.  You're right, that each was different, but yet they grew to understand and respect each other---even Ezra who deserted them in the first episode. Their friendships and camaraderie were great elements of this show.

Return to “Spin Offs - TV Westerns Archives”