Knight errant and the hero

Chit Chat on bloopers and things worth mentioning!
Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Re: Knight errant and the hero

Post by Dana » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:26 am

I looked up hoyle's, playing cards in the wild west, so far. Any other suggestions?

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Post by cowgirl » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:12 pm

I did find 1800's Authentic Gamblers Saloon Antique Playing Cards Wild West Decks.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/514817801138580473/

In Lariat, they used a regular deck like the hoyle's, playing cards.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:25 pm

This really surprised me. Now I will have to research chess and checkers!

A playing card is a piece of specially prepared heavy paper, thin cardboard, plastic-coated paper, cotton-paper blend, or thin plastic, marked with distinguishing motifs and used as one of a set for playing card games. Playing cards are typically palm-sized for convenient handling, and were first invented in China during the Tang dynasty.

William Henry Wilkinson suggests that the first cards may have been actual paper currency which doubled as both the tools of gaming and the stakes being played for similar to trading card games. Using paper money was inconvenient and risky so they were substituted by play money known as "money cards".

The Earliest Playing Cards

Increase in demand for cultural objects led to the inventing of quicker and cheaper production methods… woodcuts, movable type, paper instead of parchment, multiple copies. As card-playing became more popular production was accelerated by these alternative processes, including hand-made cards, cards printed from woodblocks or using stencils, or other improvised techniques.

Symbolism
Popular legend holds that the composition of a deck of cards has religious, mystical, or astrological significance.

Thus each suit of 13 cards represents the 13 months of the lunar year. Since the Sidereal lunar month may be approximated to 28 days, each suit is equal to 364 days of the year.
Similarly the whole deck of the 52 cards represents the 52 weeks of the year. Therefore the whole deck is also equal to 364 days of the year. For reference see the “positivist calendar”.
The Ace is symbolically “Alpha and Omega” or “the Beginning and End”.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:06 pm

Thank you, ladies. I am also try to find out about John Hamilton's occasional Scottish burr and reckless buggy driving and leaving the scene of an accident back then (the actress).

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:46 am

I have finally found something.! I found a Wikipedia article on the United States card company .

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Post by cowgirl » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:56 am

Dana wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:46 am
I have finally found something.! I found a Wikipedia article on the United States card company .
and..... Image
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:29 pm

Sorry, I am not very good at cutting and pasting stuff on my phone, but I'll get more later.

Return to “Barnyard Blunders - 2015 to present”