Long Ride Home

2014 and prior postings from the TV Western forum.
ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Long Ride Home

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 4:07 am

cowgirl:982 wrote:Have any of you seen this movie now showing on Encore?

Long Ride Home - During the Civil War Confederate soldiers escape from a Union prison and head for the Mexican border. Along the way they kill a Union courier who has a message that the war is over. Keeping the message a secret, the Captain has his men go on and they soon find themselves in a battle with the Union search party who also is unaware of the war's end. smiley_charge

I had seen this several years ago & caught about half of it the other day.  I forgot just how good this movie was.

Excellent performances by Inger Stevens - Glenn Ford & George Hamilton.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Re: Long Ride Home

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 4:10 am

rooster davis:1175 wrote:I haven't seen that one - and I can't find where it's scheduled on Encore. Do you have any info on that?
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 4:11 am

cowgirl:1187 wrote:It was on several times this month.  I just checked the schedule and it's not on anymore this month.  They do shoe it from time to time.  If I happen to see it, I'll let ya' know.  I want to get this one & also watch it again.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 4:12 am

rooster davis:1213 wrote:I'd like to know when you see it come on again Cowgirl. In a way it sounds like it has some similarities with The Legend of Tom Dooley. In that movie, two soldiers don't know the war is over and they kill some Northern soldiers who are merely on their way home after the war. Of course that makes them wanted men, and they spend the rest of the film trying to survive. Do they? I won't tell....
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 4:17 am

cowgirl:1187 wrote:It was on several times this month.  I just checked the schedule and it's not on anymore this month.  They do shoe it from time to time.  If I happen to see it, I'll let ya' know.  I want to get this one & also watch it again.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 4:17 am

cowgirl:1577 wrote:Het rooster - here it is.  I'm getting it this time!

aka A Time for Killing 8:00 p.m. March 11th
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 4:18 am

rooster davis:1807 wrote:See my next message --
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 4:20 am

rooster davis:2191 wrote:Well.... I have to say this movie just didn't do it for me. I'm a huge Glenn Ford fan, both in and out of Westerns, and I don't even want to see an updated 3:10 to Yuma starring someone else. But in this movie, his presence just couldn't overcome some things I don't like. Now please note, this is just my personal taste, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these people, but I don't care for Paul Peterson much, I am not an Inger Stevens fan, and to me, Civil War / soldier pics are a different genre than Westerns, even if they are from roughly the same time period, and as such they don't really capture my imagination. Actually that is probably the thing that made it hardest for me to like this movie, it just isn't quite my type.

One thing that I had a hard time with was Max Baer constantly hee-hawing his head off over some funny thing or other. I can just stand him as Jethro in the Beverly Hillbillies but I've never seen him anyplace else I liked him.

It might well be a good movie, but it missed the target for me. Others may very well enjoy it and I hope they do. "Your mileage may vary", as they say! I've probably got a few that I like that others don't 'get'.
Judy (Ruskin)

Return to “TV Westerns Archives”