Singing Cowboy Westerns--your thoughts?

2014 and prior postings from the TV Western forum.
ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Singing Cowboy Westerns--your thoughts?

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:12 am

PJH:2472 wrote:Woke up way too early this morning, so I turned on Encore and caught The Singing Hill with Gene Autry.  It was, of course, a singing cowboy western.

I thought this might be an interesting topic for discussion, since folks usually love 'em or hate 'em.

So what are your thoughts about singing cowboy westerns?
Do you watch them?
Do you love them, hate them, or ignore them?  
Do you have a favorite singing cowboy?
Were there really singing cowboys in the old west?
Singing cowboys ususally had sidekicks---who were your favorites?
Do you remember any singing cowgirls?
What role do these movies play in the evolution of Western movies?
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Re: Singing Cowboy Westerns--your thoughts?

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:14 am

Michelle P.:2476 wrote:PJH,

I admit I haven't watched too many westerns up to now, but I have a couple favorite musicals and they have a western theme.  My favorite musical of all times is "Oklahoma!"  I could watch that one over and over and over!  I also like "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" and "Carosel", though I don't think you could classify that as a western musical...I'm not sure what you classify as a "singing western", but thos are my favorite Musical Westerns!
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:18 am

Michelle P.:2476 wrote:PJH,

I admit I haven't watched too many westerns up to now, but I have a couple favorite musicals and they have a western theme.  My favorite musical of all times is "Oklahoma!"  I could watch that one over and over and over!  I also like "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" and "Carosel", though I don't think you could classify that as a western musical...I'm not sure what you classify as a "singing western", but thos are my favorite Musical Westerns!
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:20 am

PJH:2477 wrote:Michelle, thanks for expanding this discussion with your thoughts.

You noted two great examples of Western Musicals---Oklahoma and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.  I, too, love Oklahoma---in fact it was the first musical I ever saw live on stage (and no, it wasn't the original, just a revival---I'm not quite that old).  The movie is great, as is the PBS version with Hugh Jackman as Curly that was shown a few years ago.

Musical Westerns are often movie versions of stage productions, with lots of singing and dancing by most of the cast.  The songs often advance the plot, with song and dialog integrated (at least in the good ones)

Singing Cowboy Westerns are your typical B westerns with the hero breaking into song now and then.  Typically the singing cowboy shows his emotions through song.  Gene Autry and Roy Rogers are the most famous of the singing cowboys. These movies were very popular in the 1930s, 40s, and early 50s.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:21 am

Kira:2536 wrote:I found this video on youtube ...  Ken Curtis ... in a german TV-Show !  :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWR6FLnPack&feature=PlayList&p=4AE49718A3D2CB3D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:23 am

Dianna:2540 wrote:Thanks Kira. I have to admit, I am not a big fan of singing cowboy westerns.But I always enjoyed listening to Ken Curtis.I thought he could sing.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:25 am

PJH:2545 wrote:Thanks Kira, for finding the video.  I didn't realize Ken Curtis had such a great voice.  The song he was singing, Tumbling Tumbleweeds is a real cowboy song, originally made famous by the Sons of the Pioneers.  Did you know that Ken Curtis was the son-in-law of legendary western director John Ford?

As I said, you either love 'em or hate 'em.  I have a real affection for Singing Cowboy movies, not because they're great movies (they are usually average or less than average B westerns and often pretty corny), but because of the cultural history they represent.  Highly popular during the Depression and WWII, they were cranked out and shown during Saturday afternoon matinees across the country.

The original fans of Singing Cowboy movies were children and teenagers.  Some of the songs that were sung in these movies became big sellers and were heard on the radio.

These movies were often set in the time period in which they were made---the 30s and 40s, rather than the 1800s.  So it's not unusual to see cars, planes, trucks, telephones, modern clothing, etc.

So these are the movies that impacted my parents when they were growing up---the role models they looked up to, the values and principles they were exposed to.  Rather like some of us with the TV westerns we watched as children.

Here are two videos of Singing Cowboy trailers  . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeLi03d3IuA&feature=emailLink broken
Gene Autry, America's Singing Cowboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1WBa3aqLDo&feature=emailLink broken
Roy Rogers, King of the Cowboys
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:35 am

rooster davis:2633 wrote:I put "Oklahoma" and "Seven Brides" in a somewhat different category than 'singing westerns'. The former are musicals that take place in a Western sort of time frame, but 'singing westerns' are to me more the Gene Autry / Roy Rogers / etc. type of Westerns.

I have the very highest regard for those gentleman as the finest human beings in the messages their films conveyed, and in their personal lives as well, but I have to also admit that those kinds of singing westerns just don't grab me. I look through the listings and if I see:
"A singing telegraph operator who...."
or:
"A singing mine inspector finds himself in trouble when...."
or:
"A singing accordion repairman accidentally discovers...."
or:
"A singing veterinarian inherits an old mine which...."
or:
"A singing shoe salesman runs into trouble when...."
well, I just don't watch it. I hope those films have people who like them. I just don't.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:36 am

PJH:2752 wrote:Rooster, you are absolutely right---singing cowboy westerns are usually very "corny".  What can I say---I am easily entertained!!

It is interesting to note that authentic cowboy songs are really another form of cowboy poetry.  Cowboys often created their own songs on long cattle drives---they always sang to the cattle as they settled in for the night and as they rode the trail together during the day.  The songs were also shared around the campfire (really another form of storytelling).
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:39 am

Kira:2892 wrote:That is my favorite singing cowboy :flower: ... and a campfire ... *g*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBx8j2IKpcQ
Judy (Ruskin)

Return to “TV Westerns Archives”