Underrated westerns

2014 and prior postings from the TV Western forum.
ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Re: Underrated westerns

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 8:15 pm

rooster davis:1173 wrote:I've got another suggestion for an underrated Western - "Road to Denver" with John Payne and Skip Homeier. Why Homeier's name is listed 4th or 5th in the credits, when the movie is about him and his brother (played by Payne) must be because of his 'stature' that he didn't get second billing. Payne and Homeier play brothers who have a parting of the ways when Homeier can't keep his temper and fists and gun under control. Early in the movie, in a really neat scene, Payne busts his little brother out of jail, where his temper had landed him for 30 days just for a fist fight. They get to another town and use fake names to hide who they are. Homeier goes to the saloon and gets into a fight with someone - who turns out to be the man they were in town to see about a job. After that Payne writes off his brother as a lost cause and they go their separate ways. Before long though they turn up in the same town - Payne taking a job with an honest businessman, and Homeier going to work for the crooked boss who has his fingers in everything.

I'm going to guess that this one was filmed just before wintertime - there are numerous scenes with patches of snow on the ground or what looks to be real snow falling and you can see peoples' breath in some scenes - it was cold out all right. Being cold is not the part of a cowboy's life I'd have enjoyed.

Obviously both Payne and Homeier were good at riding - in one scene they ride their horses down a steep rocky path, trying to get away from the town where they just broke Homeier out of the jail. The horses are having a hard time keeping their footing; just another neat extra of this film.

This is a beautiful movie to watch - from the opening title screen on through it's very easy on the eyes. The color is mostly natural with a pastel quality, better than 50+ year old films sometimes are. A Western doesn't have to be in color to be enjoyable, but given my choice, I'll take color (or colorized) any old time. I'm a Skip Homeier fan - but for you LVC fans, he has a small role in this one too, playing the bad guy as he does so well. From 1955.

Image Image
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 8:15 pm

rooster davis:4077 wrote:Here is a clip from the underrated movie Fury at Showdown, where John Derek is goaded into finally taking on the hired gun whose job is to kill him. But Derek isn't wearing his gun... instead we are treated to one of the best movie fights I've seen. Here is the part leading UP TO the fight and only about ten seconds of the fight itself, which goes on for quite some time after. (And if you listen carefully you can hear bad guy John Smith's spurs' jingle bobs, clinking as he walks.... neat!)

http://nike3.com/aucts/fury.wmv
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 8:16 pm

cowgirl:4254 wrote:The Undefeated (1969) will be on the Western Channel tonight.
After the Civil War, ex-Union Colonel John Henry Thomas and ex-Confederate Colonel James Langdon are leading two disparate groups of people through strife-torn Mexico. John Henry and company are bringing horses to the unpopular Mexican government for $35 a head while Langdon is leading a contingent of displaced southerners, who are looking for a new life in Mexico after losing their property to carpetbaggers. The two men are eventually forced to mend their differences in order to fight off both bandits and revolutionaries, as they try to lead their friends and kin to safety.

I have seen this several times, it's really very good!  A fantastic cast!
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 8:16 pm

Lu Young:4877 wrote::lol:

Ditto for me on those who have nothing good to say about America or want to Gun control!
I don't watch, George Clooney, Jane Fonda, etc> and what is ironic:
THEY MAKE MONEY OFF OF MOVIES WERE THEY ARE SHOOTING GUNS.
Bring back the good guys: John Wayne, Chuck Conners, Charleon Heston etc...............

ps
origianl 3:10 to Yuma has got the remake beat!  Van Heflin!!! Glenn Ford!! :wink:
I personally liked the ending!
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 8:17 pm

rooster davis:4902 wrote:
Lu Young wrote: ps
original 3:10 to Yuma has got the remake beat!  Van Heflin!!! Glenn Ford!! :wink:
I personally liked the ending!
I heard talk of remaking 'True Grit'. WHY? There is no way the original can be equaled much less improved upon. Let the new crop of actors and filmmakers give us some new stories and let us respect them for their own work, not for trying to cash in on someone else's.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Stargazer:7988 wrote:Recorded and just watched 1960's "The Unforgiven" directed by John Huston.  It starred Burt Lancaster, Audie Murphy, and a very young, Doug McClure as brothers.  Audry Hepburn played the adopted sister and Lillian Gish was the mother.  Set in 1850's Texas, the brothers fought bigotry of their own and others' against their sister once it was revealed she was Kiowa.  Very good and I highly recommend it if you ever get the chance.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 8:18 pm

PJH:8095 wrote:I just watched Roughshod (1949) on Encore.  It starred Robert Sterling, Claude Jardan, Jr., Gloria Grahame and John Ireland.  It was a surprisingly good B western.

Unusually adult Western for its time, Clay (Sterling) and his much youner brother, Steve (Jarman) have to drive their horse herd over a dangerous mountain pass so they can start a ranch on the other side.  Along the way, they encounter four stranded dance hall girls. Mary (Gloria Grahame) takes an immediate interest in Clay. The brothers are torn between helping the women or getting their herd safely across the pass. And,there are the three bad guys (John Ireland as the villian is great) who escaped from prison, chasing Clay.

Robert Sterling (not known for roles in Westerns) does well with the part of Steve, being convincingly tough when he needs to be. In fact, acting skill means more in this Western than in most because of the emotional interplay between Sterling, Jarman, and Grahame. The chemistry between Jarman and Sterling is outstanding and very natural. There seems to be a genuine rapport between the brothers. In my opinion, the youthful Jarman steals every scene he is in---very natural young actor. Grahame excelled in her role of Mary---bad girl with the heart of gold.

For Clay the challenge is whether to follow conventional thinking and reject Grahame's overtures or to follow his instincts and see the real potential in her. Steve sees her true qualities immediately since he has not yet learned to pre-judge others. Fortunately the screenplay avoids getting sentimental over the conflict, and in fact handles the whole  theme with intellegence and empathy.

For a Western with a strong human interest side, director Robson avoids the usual pitfall of too much talk by keeping the plot moving. This is a little gem of a movie with a genuinely positive message.
Judy (Ruskin)

Return to “TV Westerns Archives”