Oklahoma!

2014 and prior postings from the TV Western forum.
ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Oklahoma!

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 9:30 pm

Michelle P.:7007 wrote:This is one of my favorite musicals of all times!!!  It is such a feel good movie and really romantic.  I can sing every song by heart - ya wanta hear???   :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp5HCDGJsvM&feature=related
Oh What a Beautiful Morning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpNeHMlJiD4Link broken
Oklahoma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4IaJ5yVA4E&feature=relatedLink broken
I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say No

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6MF891U8sI&feature=relatedLink broken
I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say No (Reprise)

They don't make 'em like they used to!!!
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Re: Oklahoma!

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 9:35 pm

Renewed Fan:7010 wrote:Michelle- My boss, who is 89 now, was recuperating in a navy hospital in NYC in 1943, and saw the original stage production of Oklahoma.

Renewed Fan
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 9:36 pm

chrisb6263:7018 wrote:Yes indeed, Oklahoma! was a classic movie musical from the heyday of that genre.  And, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has taken note of this - the Technicolor movies of the 1940's and 50's had the most vibrant colors I have EVER seen on screen....just BEAUTIFUL!!!  And, RF, I'll bet your boss really enjoyed seeing it on stage.  Movies are great, but seeing a live stage performance - especially one the caliber of Oklahoma! - can be an unforgettable experience!  There's nothing like it.... And, yes, Michelle, PLEASE sing for us!!!
                                                                       :hello1:  smiley_yeah
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 9:36 pm

PJH:7021 wrote:Michelle, Oklaahoma is one of my favorites too.  It was the very first live musical stage show I ever saw when I was 13---a local high school production.  

Over the years, I have seen it numberous times on stage.  John Davidson often starred in the lead in the 80s and 90s.  I had the good fortune to sit across the aisle from him on a plane once.  He and Jamie Farr (Klinger on MASH) had just finished a production in Little Rock (circa 1992) and were both on the plane.  It was great to talk with him about his career and about Oklahoma (one of his favorite roles)

I watch the movie at least once a year.  One of my favorite recent productions is the one shown from time to time on PBS with Hugh Jackman as Curly.  It's great!
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 9:37 pm

HeatherF:33981 wrote:I was in it 3 years ago and LOVED it! I wasn't back into Westerns yet but  :grin:

My favorite is Farmer and the Cowman! The part about cowboy's swingin ropes makes me think about Johnny  :smile: (Who else?)

Of course, never forget the title song.....

OKALHOMA!!! :D
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 9:38 pm

Michelle P.:33987 wrote:I love it from "Oh the sounds of the earth are like music"  all the way to "OK-LA-Ho-MA!!!" (in other words, from the first word to the last word).  There's nothing I would take out of it (except the dream - never really did care for that part)...I watched it when I was 16, but had to go to bed before it was over.  So I made my Mom rent it for me the next day and I watched it three times that week and protested when she told me I had to return the video to the video store - and NO, I could NOT buy it!!!  I didn't have the movie until just a few years ago.  

Now I'll have to watch it again soon...Maybe this weekend :-)
Judy (Ruskin)

Return to “TV Westerns Archives”