Favorite Mark scene?

Mark McCain was as important to the show as the Rifleman himself. Let's talk about his sweet nature and sensitivity. Always learning from Lucas, sometimes the hard way, fear of losing his only parent, times he got into trouble, their respect for each other, and how he was portrayed as a motherless kid but had the insight and determination of a disciplined adult.
Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Favorite Mark scene?

Post by Deneen » Sat May 13, 2017 7:30 pm

markisddg:25266 wrote:I just wrote a post and it disappeared when I previewed. Drat. I just said how back in the 60's when I saw The Schoolmaster I felt so bad for Mark the way no one was on his side. He was completely alone and Lucas just sided with Griswald cuz he felt he was superior to both of them or something. I felt that Mark had no where to turn and he tried so hard to get along with that Griswald. Glad we never had to see him again.
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat May 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Rhiannon:25314 wrote:Right and no wonder Mark ran away with Billy to the old mine. Wonder how Lucas would have felt if he couldn't rescue Mark in time. Interesting to speculate what would have happened. Maybe he'd go crazy and start killing anywone who riled him..oh wait, he already does that . smiley_hunting

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat May 13, 2017 7:34 pm

cowgirl:25320 wrote:
It's not the same thing but I really didn't like how Lucas was so cold to Mark in Schoolmaster when Mark was crying and all Lucas did was lecture him and act like Mark was doing something to HIM. ("Don't you disobey me, too".)
I remember the first time I saw 'The Schoolmaster.'  I thought "Boy is Mr. Griswald in for it now."  I thought Lucas would get upset & go in and have a talk with him to see what the problem was.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat May 13, 2017 7:37 pm

Rhiannon:25343 wrote:Right Cowgirl, me too. Lucas is always there for Mark and no one better do anything to him..except in this case. Plus he was so mad about it, too.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat May 13, 2017 7:49 pm

markisddg:25377 wrote:Maybe he'd go crazy and start killing anywone who riled him..oh wait, he already does that .

Love that line. That was so funny.

I too wondered why Lucas took Griswald's word that Mark was out of line without consulting with him. Mark was just trying to help the new schoolmaster know a few things about the kids and always getting in trouble with Grizzy.  Lucas and Griswald did have a disagreement in the beginning about the rifle and Lucas just let it slide. I didn't like Lucas in this one.

Another favorite scene is actually in The Assailants. Just watching it again and in the beginning when we first see Mark he comes over to Micah and Lucas saying how he struck a good deal on grain and barley. Well check him out he is so cute in that scene with his hat up on his head and his hair is down on his forehead and he smiles a lot...love when his hair is down like that. He is always cute but here he is perfect. I pause and just stare at him. Right Rhiannon.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat May 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Rhiannon:25441 wrote:Right markisddg. And I just watched that again and totaly agree, Mark is way cute!!
Hey what's with the end when they're walking down the street and Mark looks up at Lucas twice and Lucas doesn't even look at him. Maybe he was jealous Mark saved the day instead of him LOL.
Sorry I haven't had time to get back here for a few days. tomorrow moning for sure when I don't have to go in early to work. Wish it wasn't so cold in here at night so I could be here. I'm just too paranoid of using the propane heater, it costs so much (as you know). I will come to Mark's Room first tomorrow and read all these posts from everyone, can't wait!

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat May 13, 2017 7:54 pm

markisddg:25454 wrote:I love that scene after the Senator commends Mark for his true grit and gallantry. When they walk away nothing needs to be said. Mark takes out his slingshot and looks up at Lucas and you know how proud he must be for his boy. Here was Mark all alone in town while Lucas rode out to meet the Senator (Mark never knew that) found out what was happening with Micah and put two and two together to save the day.  I'm glad it worked out when he shot the rock at the window to start the gunfire. It could have been disasterous.

This time you could tell Lucas was proud how he put his hand on his shoulder.

I wanted more episodes with Mark as the Hero not Lucas.

I know what you mean about Lucas not looking at Mark but this time I think silence was golden.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat May 13, 2017 7:57 pm

Rhiannon:25509 wrote:Hey good comments. I know Lucas was proud of Mark but I felt bad for Mark I thought he was waiting for something from Lucas the way he looked up at him. It's just me : ).
I think this is the only episode except for Ordeal and Short Rope when they really LET Mark save the day if you will. Any other times?

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat May 13, 2017 7:59 pm

markisddg:25978 wrote:One of my favorite Mark scenes is at the end of Outlaw's Shoes...when he tells Lucas....."and tonight is your night to do the dishes"...and then he kinda clears his throat and looks down.....it's so cute how he does it. and he has that cute way the side of his mouth goes up....then when Lucas says he'll do the dishes Mark sits down and just relaxes..it's a great moment.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat May 13, 2017 8:02 pm

wildwest:54401 wrote:There are so many....

in the Vision the entire scenes with his Mom and at the end...."did you lose your razor Pa?"

In Ordeal     "I won't take your rifle Pa  please don't make me" and at the end "We made it Pa   we made it"

In The Boarding House when Mark calls Miss Agnes Miss Mudd and then stands and gives his speech about "Lettin good food go to waste" before being led out by his ear

The Wyoming Story part two at the  end on the porch.  lots of dialogue and so well delivered!

Return to “Mark's Room 2015 to present”