What mark should have said instead

Mark McCain was as important to the show as the Rifleman himself. Let's talk about his sweet nature and sensitivity. Always learning from Lucas, sometimes the hard way, fear of losing his only parent, times he got into trouble, their respect for each other, and how he was portrayed as a motherless kid but had the insight and determination of a disciplined adult.
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

What mark should have said instead

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 11, 2017 9:48 am

Random rambler:54501 wrote:Far be it for me to change the dialogue, but here is an alternative line for our fair-haired boy.                                                 Lucas: Mark,  don't ever let me catch you in that kind of company again!             Mark: sure pa, next time I'm in that sort of company, I'll make sure you don't catch me! Any other ideas?
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: What mark should have said instead

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 4:29 am

markisddg:55210 wrote:In Requiem at Mission Springs:

Lou: "Mark you need to eat these beans....Open up."
Mark: "I can feed myself Lou, my legs are paralyzed not my arms. I'm not 3 years old!"

From Stopover

Mark: Next time a lady spends the night in our bedroom you stay with her. I think you need more companionship, I'll sleep in my bedroll."
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 4:32 am

Random rambler:55214 wrote:"Gee pa I hope I don't get her in any trouble. I am a stud."      Or "it's been awhile pa for you pa, .  Should I give you some pointers?  You being so old and all!"

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 4:35 am

wildwest:55221 wrote:This one will be fun.  I am not referencing specific episodes but here goes....

But Pa, why can't I go into the saloon....I am shaving already

But Pa, why do I have to go to bed....I'm 16

But Pa, I don't have to go go to school...I graduated last year

Pa,  I appreciate you teaching me about cows, chickens and chores....but when are you gonna have the 'birds and bees' talk with me

Pa, I think you should ask Anne Dodd to stay....there is 'something special' about her and you seem awfully frustrated lately and its been along time for you

Miss Agnes Hamilton....the last time I wasted food like that Pa took me behind the wood shed and showed me it was for more than choppin' wood

Pa, when are you gonna teach me to shoot....I'm shaving already and I'm tired of picking up your spent cartridges all over the yard

But Pa, why do I have to wait in the buckboard?

Pa, just where do you buy those tight jeans?  I do not see them in the General Store

Pa, can I buy a new hat?  Mine has holes in it

Pa, I think when i grow up I am gonna become a surveyor.....then I can solve the age old question......Just how far is it from our ranch to North Fork

Pa, I am a surveyor.   I am old enough to buy my own rock candy

Pa, I think when I am older I am going to move to California and have a dance band.  I love music.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 4:37 am

Random rambler:55224 wrote:Lucas : come on Mark it's time for me to give you a haircut.       Mark: pa , we're in this new series and we'll be making residuals for the next millennium, why can't I get my hair cut in North Fork?                                                                                Lucas: I'm your father. You need to trust me.                                           Mark:   it's not a matter of trust, pa. It's  a matter of maintaining my status  as a pre-teen hearth throb.  Besides, I know you have been practicing with that rifle, but I ain't so comfortable with those scissors!

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 4:39 am

markisddg:55231 wrote:All very funny and so true!

In Incident at Line Shack Six when Mark is alone with Lou in the ranch Lucas walks in and Mark and Lou look guilty as they are hiding Johnny Wing in the barn.

The look on Lucas's face makes one believe he wonders what they are up to and maybe Lou was teaching Mark a few things about love making to make Lucas jealous. However it was a family show.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 4:41 am

Random rambler:55239 wrote:Hysterical.                                                                                            Mark: I give up pa. I know I 'll  never be ready for my own rifle, but I'm fourteen.   Can I at least have my own room or sleep on a cot in the living room?

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 4:43 am

markisddg:55244 wrote:I guess Mark had to sleep in the bedroom as they had a small house.

Today I saw A Time For Singing and Mark should have said.

"She had real nice hair (from wardrobe.)"

I found it very strange how Mark just saw a beautiful woman get shot and dying in front of him. A few hours later they are starving and he's wanting the 50 cent steak. Reminds me of Love and Death. Her husband is dying and Keaton asks how much time does he have left. Then after he dies she asks "Where do we eat."

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 4:47 am

Random rambler:55247 wrote:On some subconscious level, I think Lucas having Mark sleep in the same room with him was a way of not cutting the cord and keeping Mark a baby.                                                From the vision:                                                                               Mark: pa, do I have to go on this trip with you ?                           Lucas: you know you can't stay by yourself.                                         Mark: i sure do wish I didn't have to go with you!   (Under his breath) I was planning on having a kegger.                                 Later:                                                                                                     mark: you know I wouldn't have got typhoid if you hadn't made me go on this trip.  Remember when you said you would do anything in the world if I got better. Well, I have been thinking on it quite a spell.  I sure could use a new saddle.                                                                                                  Lucas: son, you were out of your head. You imagined that.  I never said any such thing.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 4:49 am

Random rambler:55255 wrote:Mark:  pa, do you ever think of marrying again?                                Lucas: why do you ask?                                                                      Mark: well I've been thinking and it seems if you had some distraction,  you wouldn't be getting on my case all the time!

Return to “Mark's Room 2015 to present”