How old is Mark?

Mark McCain was as important to the show as the Rifleman himself. Let's talk about his sweet nature and sensitivity. Always learning from Lucas, sometimes the hard way, fear of losing his only parent, times he got into trouble, their respect for each other, and how he was portrayed as a motherless kid but had the insight and determination of a disciplined adult.
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

How old is Mark?

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 11, 2017 9:51 am

Rhiannon:29050 wrote:Look, markisddg, I think I got it :)

"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: How old is Mark?

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 9:16 am

markisddg:29060 wrote:Oh boy now you can post all the photos you want. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Mark starts out to be 10. In Case of Identity Mark tells someone he's 12. In First Wages Lucas says he's 13 but I don't think he was ever mentioned to be any older. However in Season 5 I guess he was supposed to be only 15 but Johnny was really 17.
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 9:18 am

Rhiannon:29071 wrote:Image

Yep, good!! Now, how old do you think he was in the first picture?

How's this one for darling?

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 9:21 am

markisddg:29074 wrote:In the first picture which I think you said was from Lost Treasure that was 3rd season and just checked it out at the episode list and it aired in 2/61 so JC was almost 15. He looks so young for 15.

I don't know that other picture which is really cute.....he is as you say "darling." What episode is that?

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 9:25 am

Rhiannon:29089 wrote:One I totally love A Case of Identity when Lucas is about to go after Wingate and Mark stops him. Mark is SOO cute. I love this picture!

Yeah, Johnny always looked much younger than he was, well early on for sure. He was always 2 years behind how old he really was.

Here's one when he is older for you :)

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 9:26 am

markisddg:29101 wrote:That one looks like QNDN when he is standing in the road talking to Lucas.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 9:28 am

Rhiannon:29150 wrote:I think it WAS from QNDN, mrkisddg. Good one. I forgot. LOL, I can see how that happens

Here's another older Mark for you. You know what it's from. He's pretty cute, huh?

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 9:32 am

Shilohbloo:50967 wrote:
markisddg:29060 wrote:Oh boy now you can post all the photos you want. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Mark starts out to be 10. In Case of Identity Mark tells someone he's 12. In First Wages Lucas says he's 13 but I don't think he was ever mentioned to be any older. However in Season 5 I guess he was supposed to be only 15 but Johnny was really 17.
Well, actually, if going by the show's timing, as they presented it (and also Johnny's real birthdate), Mark was 14 in the 5th season, and 16 in real life. :wink:

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 9:37 am

Dulci-Gal:51054 wrote:He looks really young in the pilot episode. I think it suited them to make Johnny appear as young as possible.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun May 14, 2017 9:42 am

Shilohbloo:51055 wrote:
Dulci-Gal:51054 wrote:He looks really young in the pilot episode. I think it suited them to make Johnny appear as young as possible.
Yes, it worked beautifully until a few eps into the 5th season, where it all started to really catch up with him. It seemed as if overnight, all his lost growing years suddenly came pouring into him, where Mark began looking - and sounding! - much closer to Johnny's actual age than not. (It's not always readily evident, since they rarely aired their eps in actual production order). Honestly, I don't see how they would have worked it in a 6th season without the caught-up age difference seeming overly awkward. I think they got out just in time, while the gettin' was good. :wink:

It's also kind of cool that they used "Old Tony" as the final episode, because it was actually taped way earlier in the season; so while afterwards Johnny had been growing and growing, we're left with a younger looking Mark to remember because it was just before his rapid growth spurt. :smile:

Return to “Mark's Room 2015 to present”