The Vision

Mark McCain was as important to the show as the Rifleman himself. Let's talk about his sweet nature and sensitivity. Always learning from Lucas, sometimes the hard way, fear of losing his only parent, times he got into trouble, their respect for each other, and how he was portrayed as a motherless kid but had the insight and determination of a disciplined adult.
Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: The Vision

Post by Deneen » Mon May 15, 2017 12:36 pm

wildwest:57439 wrote:New FANatic

Welcome to the Ranch.  You had some good thoughts here about this episode.  This is one of my favorites.  Also read once this was Johnnys favorite episode.  He does such a great job being a child actor.

"Please don't die son..please don't die"
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Mon May 15, 2017 12:38 pm

NewFANatic:57441 wrote:Thanks!

I love this episode too - Johnny does such a good job...  :hello1:  :hello1:

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Mon May 15, 2017 12:40 pm

Random rambler:57452 wrote:I didn't understand how Lucas wouldn't let mark stay at the ranch by himself, but just left Mark by himself in the middle of nowhere without fresh drinking water or why Lucas did not have nils wore nearby town's to see if a there was a doctor there.  Maybe the brook is leapy brook  because one leaps it to the great beyond. The brook is cold because death is cold . I believe Dr. Hennekin carries an umbrella to make him seem magical and mythical rather than medical and methodical. Hazel tells Mark to catch hold and climb up to the wagon. Later Dr. Hennekin dangles a rope for Mark to catch hold.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Mon May 15, 2017 12:42 pm

NewFANatic:57457 wrote:Yeah, he left him alone in the middle of nowhere, with a wagon train full of unwholesome people and poisoned drinking water. Bad Pa! I kind of wonder if all those people contracted Typhoid too?

Picturing Dr. Henniken as magical is an interesting idea. Maybe the umbrella is a Canadian quirk  :lol: ! I laugh when he is ordering someone to fetch his horse because he has other customers not patients or clients!!

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Mon May 15, 2017 12:46 pm

Random rambler:57467 wrote:Was the brook supposed to be the river Styx?  Was Dr. Hennekin a physician or a medicine man? Mary poppins was published about 25 years before the vision aired. Was Dr. Hennekin a frontier version of the British Nanny? Imho,  Mark's paralysis was psychosomatic.  Could the typhoid have been more rooted in Mark's mind than in actuality?

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Mon May 15, 2017 12:50 pm

NewFANatic:57472 wrote:I thought the brook was cold because he was feeling them put the slush on him...

The brook could be called 'Leapy' because its narrow enough to leap over and the river of death has to be crossed over - how morbid is that?!? :shock:

Mark probably did actually contract Typhoid, but the subject of his delusion was rooted in his need to be 'mothered' at that point in his life but couldn't be by his own mother.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Mon May 15, 2017 12:53 pm

Random rambler:57489 wrote:During one of my recent viewings of the vision, I noticed there is an advertisement on hazel 's wagon that she is a fortune teller.  When Mark first gets up after Lucas goes to sleep, he looks as if he is tempted to rejoin hazel and her crew, but then settled for drinking the forbidden water.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Mon May 15, 2017 12:58 pm

wildwest:57493 wrote:Random Rambler     that was a good catch about Hazels wagon and probably a subtle clue

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Mon May 15, 2017 1:07 pm

Random rambler:57535 wrote:Lucas was understandably angry at Mark for disobeying him. When it comes to mark, Lucas has a green-eyed monster nearly as tall as he is! If hazel was a Margaret look-alike, how infuriating it must have been for him to see her scantily clad double!plus, Mark was sitting there with an adoring look on his face-one Mark had not been showing Lucas lately!

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Mon May 15, 2017 1:13 pm

Random rambler:57570 wrote:When Mark's sassily exclaims:" she was nice to me, pa!"  The implicacation seems to be that Lucas,  who would not buy Mark a new saddle and made Mark go on this stupid trip, had not been very nice to Mark recently!

Return to “Mark's Room 2015 to present”