Christmas Movies

2014 and prior posts. This section has been amalgamated with archives from The Ol' West Video Place with sub -forum for YouTube & the stars.
ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Re: Christmas Movies

Post by ruskin » Mon May 08, 2017 10:40 pm

maxman:39273 wrote:
Anybody watch Christmas in Conneticut with Barbara Stanwyck?

It was pretty good!  When I taped this I was looking for a movies I saw years ago & I thought this was it, but it wasn't.  I don't remember much about it but was wondering if anyone might have an idea to the movies I am looking for.

I thought Babara Stanwych was in it, but I could be wrong.  It was a Christmas movie and I'm pretty sure it took place in one of the New England States?????  It was about two people who were alone for Christmas and their chance meeting.

Anybody?  :dontknow:
I watch CIC every year at least a couple of times; it's my personal favorite.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Mon May 08, 2017 10:41 pm

cowgirl:39277 wrote:
Christmas in Conneticut with Barbara Stanwyck
I hope they put this on TV this year.  Where does all these great classics go?  

It's nice seeing new ones, but I just love seeing the classics.  They are so much more enjoyable.

Hey Kira, I ordered "A Hobo's Christmas".  I'll let ya' know what I think.  I still think I have seen this, but will enjoy watching it just the same!  :wink:
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Mon May 08, 2017 10:41 pm

cowgirl:39321 wrote:
Mon Oncle Antoine is (in the version I've seen) subtitled and not dubbed, and I don't mind that at all. Being 'foreign' it has a few wacky 'daydream' sequences but otherwise it has a great atmosphere for the place and the times. It is set in a small town in Quebec in I think the early 1950's. It is definitely not a Christmas movie though the story takes place over that time of year and there is a little bit of Christmas to it.
I didn't order this rooster.  I wasn't sure subtitled and not dubbed.  I'm not sure I would enjoy this.

I can't find my Christmas in Conneticut.  Right now I'm cleaning out my puter room & DVD's.  Maybe I'll come across it!  I did check TCM but don't see it on this year.   :sad:
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Mon May 08, 2017 10:43 pm

cowgirl:39322 wrote:BTW Kira - Once/Twice upon a christmas ( with John Dye )

I don't know if I've seen this.  gotta check it out!!!!!  :undwech.gif
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Mon May 08, 2017 10:43 pm

rooster davis:39323 wrote:
cowgirl:39321 wrote:
Mon Oncle Antoine is (in the version I've seen) subtitled and not dubbed, and I don't mind that at all. Being 'foreign' it has a few wacky 'daydream' sequences but otherwise it has a great atmosphere for the place and the times. It is set in a small town in Quebec in I think the early 1950's. It is definitely not a Christmas movie though the story takes place over that time of year and there is a little bit of Christmas to it.
I didn't order this rooster.  I wasn't sure subtitled and not dubbed.  I'm not sure I would enjoy this.

I can't find my Christmas in Conneticut.  Right now I'm cleaning out my puter room & DVD's.  Maybe I'll come across it!  I did check TCM but don't see it on this year.   :sad:
I can understand not wanting to see the subtitles - but for me sometimes seeing the lips not match the words is even worse. Mon Oncle Antoine is still a really good film.

AMC is supposedly showing Christmas in Connecticut - the 1945 version -
   Dec 10 12:30AM
   Dec 13 1:30PM
   Dec 19 2:45AM
(check your local time zones)
Hopefully they won't throw a curve and show the one from not long ago.
I've got the one from 1945 recorded onto a DVD. I hate it when people think they need to re-make classics just to update them - they're almost never as good as the original, by a mile.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Mon May 08, 2017 10:44 pm

maxman:39329 wrote:
AMC is supposedly showing Christmas in Connecticut - the 1945 version -
   Dec 10 12:30AM
   Dec 13 1:30PM
   Dec 19 2:45AM
(check your local time zones)
Here's a link to the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePa6nx7T76w
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Mon May 08, 2017 10:45 pm

maxman:39330 wrote:Here's a link to the 2012 TV schedule for Christmas movies & specials; unfortunately if doesn't include all channels: http://classic-tv.com/holiday-guide/201 ... edule.html
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Mon May 08, 2017 10:45 pm

cowgirl:39337 wrote:Thanks maxman!  I did save this schedule!

Although I enjoy most of the Christmas movies, I find the newer ones are the same old same old.  Not much story behind Christmas.  My opinion! :wink:
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Mon May 08, 2017 10:46 pm

cowgirl:39338 wrote:Thanks rooster!  I think I'll look for my CC.  I must have forgot to log it.  I do log my DVD's because I have so many.

If I don't find it I will watch it on AMC.  I don't like to tape off of AMC because of the commericals.  (That is except HOW)  But I will be watching it!
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Mon May 08, 2017 10:46 pm

maxman:39341 wrote:
cowgirl:39337 wrote:...I find the newer ones are the same old same old.  Not much story behind Christmas.  My opinion! :wink:
I share your opinion on that, and I know a lot of others do too. Thankfully we still get to see the good ones we so enjoy. 'Bad Santa'? I think NOT!
Judy (Ruskin)

Return to “The Movie Theatre Archives”