How about a new Kid Actors topic - their best roles or ??

2014 and prior posts. This section has been amalgamated with archives from The Ol' West Video Place with sub -forum for YouTube & the stars.
ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Re: How about a new Kid Actors topic - their best roles or ??

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 1:55 am

Judy:48718 wrote:
rooster davis:48716 wrote:Funny that you posted with the photo of the box of tissues...  
Well, one never knows when they may need a couple of Kleenex while watching a tear-jerker ( :cry: ) of a movie!!!

:wink:
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 1:56 am

rooster davis:48743 wrote:
Duchess McCain:48682 wrote:I like Brandon de Wilde in Hud, but he also had some nice parts in Wagon Train(first time with Ward Bond, second time with Michael Burns with Chris Hale as wagon master).

And that brings me to Michael Burns.  I LOVE his characters.  Like de Wilde, he was cast as a teenager well into his twenties. (Men from Shiloh, ep. Tate:Ramrod)  Some of my favorite things of Michael's are his characters in Wagon Train.  He had two early roles in season 4 of Wagon Train, both of them with Robert Horton as Flint McCullough.  Also Michael had some great episodes in Bonanza. :grin:
When you stop and think, were we (or our parents) ever spoiled back in the 50's and 60's. High quality Westerns with great characters for adults and younger actors / actresses as well. What is there now to compare? Nothing.

Wagon Train is one example of how seriously America used to take its Western roots. I bet a lot of those stories on shows like Wagon Train rang very true.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 1:56 am

Duchess McCain:48744 wrote:
rooster davis:48743 wrote:When you stop and think, were we (or our parents) ever spoiled back in the 50's and 60's. High quality Westerns with great characters for adults and younger actors / actresses as well. What is there now to compare? Nothing.

Wagon Train is one example of how seriously America used to take its Western roots. I bet a lot of those stories on shows like Wagon Train rang very true.
So many people act like I'm some poor person stuck in the 60s, and talk about how much I'm missing.  They will say "Oh I'm watching the best tv show!" and proceed to tell me about a show involving zombies, drugs, or something of the sort.  I would NEVER trade Wagon Train, the Rifleman, Laramie, (Gunsmoke, and the Virginian) and a host of other great shows in for whatever they call tv today.  I personal believe that Wagon Train is tv at its prime. :grin:
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 1:57 am

Gloria Fortner:48758 wrote:Ok.  I'll pick Johnny Crawford.  He was always my favorite.  When I was a kid, I had a terrible crush on him.  Aside from that, he was a terrific actor, especially before the last two years of Rifleman crushed his acting role and made him a Yes, Pa, person.  Not many kids were nominated for Emmy's that I know about.  Also when his role ran out, he went on with his life.  I know he had his problems, but at least he didn't sit around and feel sorry for himself.  He did rodeo, a stint in the army, made a few records, did guest spots on television, stage acting, and eventually formed his own band.  Of course, his looks didn't hurt any, either. From everything I hear, he is still a terrific and friendly guy.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 1:57 am

rooster davis:48778 wrote:
Duchess McCain:48744 wrote: So many people act like I'm some poor person stuck in the 60s, and talk about how much I'm missing.  They will say "Oh I'm watching the best tv show!" and proceed to tell me about a show involving zombies, drugs, or something of the sort.  I would NEVER trade Wagon Train, the Rifleman, Laramie, (Gunsmoke, and the Virginian) and a host of other great shows in for whatever they call tv today.  I personal believe that Wagon Train is tv at its prime. :grin:
There are a very few newer programs I watch but nothing compares with the quality of shows like the old Westerns. Each week they made a show that had many of the traits of a real full-length Western movie. Even the theme music for the shows is impressive. TV at it's prime, you said it.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 1:58 am

rooster davis:48780 wrote:
Gloria Fortner:48758 wrote:Ok.  I'll pick Johnny Crawford.  He was always my favorite.  When I was a kid, I had a terrible crush on him.  Aside from that, he was a terrific actor, especially before the last two years of Rifleman crushed his acting role and made him a Yes, Pa, person.  Not many kids were nominated for Emmy's that I know about.  Also when his role ran out, he went on with his life.  I know he had his problems, but at least he didn't sit around and feel sorry for himself.  He did rodeo, a stint in the army, made a few records, did guest spots on television, stage acting, and eventually formed his own band.  Of course, his looks didn't hurt any, either. From everything I hear, he is still a terrific and friendly guy.
Interesting how some kids went on with life after an early career, and others ran into problems. I think we see that a lot more these days - how many former 'kid' actors have we seen arrested for drugs, dying from drugs, committing suicide? The number is amazing if you really take a look at how many it's happened to. Trent Lehman, "Butch" on Nanny and the Professor, hung himself on the fence outside his old grade school. Dana Plato from Diff'rent Strokes worked at a dry cleaners and at one point robbed a video store at gunpoint. By 34 she OD'd on drugs. Corey Haim, Anissa Jones ("Buffy" on Family Affair), these are just a few. One kid actor from the 50's who was famous and had serious problems was Rusty Hamer of Make Room for Daddy. After his acting career petered out he worked on an oil rig and later as a short-order cook. (Apparently he didn't do well at the oil rig, which could have been a decent job.) Hamer shot himself. His brother said he had never been happy since he was in his 20's.

Some kid actors who had problems might have been because nobody was properly looking out for their finances, or may have been finding ways to drain their earnings. Jay North ("Dennis the Menace") was in TV during only the middle years that Rusty Hamer was, for not as many years or episodes. Hamer ended up taking regular jobs and I would guess he was not very well off. Jay North's mom put his earnings into a trust fund and later invested it in real estate for him. As of 20 years ago he was quite well off financially (though he was never happy about his acting career). At least he wasn't out holding up video stores.

While we're on the subject, I think Billy Hughes Jr. (Grid Maule, you knew that was coming) seems to have had some demons through much of his life. While his friend David who I am in touch with has never outright said it, I suspect Hughes may have had some sort of dependency through some of his life. I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Here was a kid who was becoming well known for his acting talent and he has his career thrown away by his grandmother. He loved acting and by the time he got back to Hollywood his acting cred was long gone and so was his career. He worked in construction and a restaurant and numerous other low-paying jobs, and how many times must he have wondered 'what if'. He could have been making much more money doing something he loved, and there he was doing drudge work for $7 an hour.

Johnny Crawford did well as you point out - and a lot of that has to come from being properly raised and supported by a good family. Maybe some of the kids who had the most trouble came from homes that were not so great in their own real life.
Judy (Ruskin)

Return to “The Movie Theatre Archives”