"Firecreek"

2014 and prior posts. This section has been amalgamated with archives from The Ol' West Video Place with sub -forum for YouTube & the stars.
ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

"Firecreek"

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 2:02 am

cowgirl:40587 wrote:Encore has been airing "Firecreek" this month with Jimmy Stewart & Henry Fonda.

Great movie!  What a cast!  If you haven't seen this, it is worth watching.  I have seen this over & over & I enjoy it every time!

Jack Elam is in this and of course he is great as always!  

What I found interesting is..... Elam & Stewart are in the barn - Elam kicks Stewart's character in the face, they fight and he gets killed by a pitchfork.   smiley_idea hmmmmm..... does that sound familiar or what?

Love those Jimmy Stewart's westerns!
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Re: "Firecreek"

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 2:03 am

Ava:40588 wrote:Haven't seen "Firecreek" but will look into finding it. In "Tension" Jack Elam's character is killed by a pitchfork in the McCain's barn. This is one of the more unusual (and gory, at least it would be in real life) deaths on Rifleman. We've been  enjoying a couple of Jack Elam's comedic roles lately: one in Laramie, episode "Gun Duel" and in the James Garner movie "Support Your Local Gunfighter."
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 2:03 am

cowgirl:40589 wrote:If it's a western & Jimmy Stewarts in it, you can't go wrong!

Although Jimmy Stewart is good in everything he does, I particularly love his western!  They are all great & worth watching again & agan.  Man from Laramie is great also.  Ever see that?
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 2:04 am

Ava:40624 wrote:"Man From Laramie" does look good! Added it to my Netflix queue. Thanks!
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

cowgirl:40632 wrote:Let me know what you think Ava!
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

rooster davis:48641 wrote:I'm gonna resuscitate this thread with my comments on Firecreek and Man From Laramie. Both of these movies turn up fairly regularly on Encore Westerns, and I think Man From Laramie may have been on TCM also.

I liked Firecreek. It's not a fantastic movie, I guess considering the caliber of the stars (Stewart & Fonda) it comes across as sort of low-budget because all the action takes place in a small hole-in-the-wall town. The real star of the movie for me was Gary Lockwood who played 'Earl' in the gang of bad guys. My favorite moment of the movie is when a few of the bad guys show up at the general store to get supplies while a church service is being held there. The preacher starts directing his sermon toward 'Earl' without mentioning him by name. After a minute of this, Earl glares at the preacher and snarls "Shut up!'

Man From Laramie is a better movie IMO for several reasons. For one thing, it's a 'big' movie... lots of outdoor scenes, big cattle ranch houses, lots of horses, there's just 'more' of everything. The story is bigger too, with Stewart trying to find out who sold rifles to the Indians - rifles that were used to kill his younger brother in an attack. MFL was made in 1955, which is about the peak for quality Westerns - great stories, great cinematography, and great musical scores too.

One more I would suggest: Night Passage. In this movie Jimmy Stewart is hired to deliver a railroad payroll. His estranged younger brother (played by Audie Murphy) is part of a gang trying to steal the payroll. Brandon DeWilde has a smaller but key role in the story too. Again, it's one of the 'big' Westerns from the peak of the era, and I actually like it better than MFL. Well worth watching for.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 2:05 am

cowgirl:48646 wrote:Any western Jimmy Stewart is in has got to be good!

I do have both of these but haven't watched them in a while.

I love both Firecreek & Man from Laramie!  Excellent!  One neat thing about both of these is Jack Elam is also in these.  

Whoever cast Firecreek did a great job, especially with Bob Larkin’s (Fonda) gang.

Henry Fonda's character has a great respect for Cobb (Jimmy Stewart).  I found this interesting to watch.  Anybody else would have killed Cobb and took advantage of the situation.

Man from Laramie is worth watching over & over again, same goes for Firecreek.  They certainly had their share of bullying back then!   :wink:  

I don't want to give anything away, but if you haven't seen either on or both of these they are great!

Night Passage - sounds familar, not sure if I have seen this one.  I'll have to check it out.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 2:05 am

Duchess McCain:48652 wrote:Night Passage is good!  It also features Brandon de Wilde as a young man (12, maybe 13).  It's REALLY hard to go wrong with Steward and de Wilde. :)
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 2:06 am

Ava:48667 wrote:Rooster, thank you for bringing this thread back to life b/c I was supposed to tell Cowgirl what I thought about MFL and I completely forgot. Sorry!

It's been awhile now since I saw it, so it's not fresh on my mind. I liked a lot of things about it, but also didn't understand several things. First time I watched an entire Jimmy Stewart movie, and I liked him better than I anticipated. He's a good actor, but it's hard for me to forget I'm watching JS pretending to be someone else.

Very sadistic movie, but I got through that alright. Frankly, I was more worried about killing the animals than the people. The plot of the rich, indulgent father spoiling the evil son is overdone by now, but was fresher when this movie was made, of course.

It is a "big" movie, as Rooster pointed out. I couldn't predict the ending, which is always good. And Jack Elam onscreen holds my attention, always.

Thanks for bringing up this topic!
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 2:06 am

rooster davis:48668 wrote:
cowgirl:48646 wrote:Whoever cast Firecreek did a great job, especially with Bob Larkin’s (Fonda) gang.

Henry Fonda's character has a great respect for Cobb (Jimmy Stewart).  I found this interesting to watch.  Anybody else would have killed Cobb and took advantage of the situation.

Man from Laramie is worth watching over & over again, same goes for Firecreek.  They certainly had their share of bullying back then!   :wink:  

I don't want to give anything away, but if you haven't seen either on or both of these they are great!

Night Passage - sounds familar, not sure if I have seen this one.  I'll have to check it out.
That's what I thought Cowgirl, Fonda's character in Firecreek did have respect for Stewart's character. He was still willing to kill him but he didn't want to.

Want to talk about bullying? If memory serves me correctly, in Night Passage, Jimmy Stewart's character first encounters Brandon DeWilde's character when a member of a gang ropes DeWilde and starts to drag him behind a horse. Stewart interrupts the situation and turns the tables.

One scene I like (of many) in Night Passage is when Stewart and DeWilde are riding an open flat car (since the fare was cheapest) on the railway along a mountain where the ground drops off right beside the train tracks. Quite a view, lots of great scenery. NP was made in 1957, still the heart of the great Westerns.

Interesting observation of Ava's that she always sees Jimmy Stewart as himself playing someone else. Actually that has often been my take on John Wayne, though I like him a lot. To me though Stewart is as good a Western actor as anyone.

In Night Passage the love / hate relationship between him and his black sheep brother Audie Murphy (the brothers' names are Grant and Lee BTW) is a good plot element. I also like how in Audie Murphy's gang, he isn't the leader (Dan Duryea is) but he enjoys constantly picking and poking at Duryea to make him mad.
Judy (Ruskin)

Return to “The Movie Theatre Archives”