The Barroom Stories

Mark’s Friday Night Hoedown Do you have favorite oldie (or new) music? Are there some radio shows you enjoy listening to? What radio programs have you found on the Internet? Do you have memories of old music and radio? Enter this room for all your music and radio discussions.
Sub-forums:
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

The Barroom Stories

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 11, 2017 2:39 pm

Old Radio Shows: Let’s discuss those old radio shows from yesteryear such as Gunsmoke, Lil’ Abner, Lone Ranger, etc. Do you have links where we can listen to these for free? Tell us about them
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Barroom Stories

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 11, 2017 2:45 pm

Michelle P.:6710 wrote:http://www.phoenix5.org/humor/WhosOnFirstAudio.mp3

Abbott  & Costello – Who’s on First
I love this!  I just finished listening to it again and it leaves me laughing so hard I’m in tears!  Now, this is comedy!  I wish we could still find great stuff like this anymore!  So can anyone out there tell us the names of the ball players and what positions they play?  Stretch your memories or listen to the funny comedy here and let’s see if we can name ‘em all!

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 11, 2017 2:48 pm

chrisb6263:6714 wrote:Okay, Michelle, you can name all the other players, but remember - STAY OUTTA THE INFIELD!!!! :lol: One of the GREATEST baseball comedy bits of all time!!!
                                                                         :hello1:  smiley_yeah

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 11, 2017 3:03 pm

PJH:7109 wrote:For the younger members of the McCain Ranch, here is a little background on the classic Who's on First routine from Wikipedia:
"Who's on First?" is Abbott & Costello's signature routine. They always referred to it informally as "Baseball." Depending upon the version you are hearing, Abbott has a) organized a new baseball team, and the players have nicknames; or, he is pointing out the proliferation of nicknames in baseball---usually launching a variation on St. Louis Cardinals sibling pitchers Dizzy and Daffy Dean, before launching the routine with the infielders' nicknames of Who (first base), What (second base) and I Don't Know (third base). The key to the routine: Lou Costello's unwavering pronoun confusion and Bud Abbott's unwavering nonchalance.

Before very long the team could time the routine at will, adding or deleting portions as needed for films, radio, or television. If their director asked them to fill four minutes, for example, Bud and Lou would do four minutes' worth of the baseball bit. "Who's on First?" is believed to be available in as many as 20 versions, ranging from one minute to about 10 minutes. The longest version is seen in "The Actors' Home," an episode of their filmed TV series, in which "Who's on First?" constitutes the second half of the program. Perhaps the best rendition of the act was a live performance commemorating the opening day of the Lou Costello, Jr. Youth Foundation, in 1947. This special performance was recorded, and has appeared on numerous comedy albums. The team's final performance of "Who's on First?" was seen on Steve Allen's TV variety show, in 1957.

Lou Costello and Bud Abbott

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 11, 2017 3:03 pm

chrisb6263:7112 wrote:Thanks, PJ - I didn't know all that detail....their performance of the 'Who's On First' routine on the Steve Allen Show in 1957 was only two years before Lou Costello's death in 1959.  I think Bud Abbott lived until 1974....

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 11, 2017 3:04 pm

PJH:7114 wrote:Chris, I think what is most interesting about Abbott and Costello is that they successfully performed in all show business formats---burlesque, movies, radio, and television.  Their partnership lasted for 20 years.

After their partnership ended they each performed individually in various television shows and movies.  Lou Costello actually appeared in an episode of Wagon Train.

You were right, Chris, about the dates of their deaths.  What a loss!

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 11, 2017 3:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShMA85pv8M
PJH:7118 wrote:Here's a video of Abbott and Costello actually doing the Who's on First? routine in a 1945 movie.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 11, 2017 3:07 pm

Michelle P.:7119 wrote:Thank you so much for this information!  This is all very fascinating, and I'm enjoying learning all about entertainment before my time!

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 11, 2017 3:08 pm

chrisb6263:7121 wrote:That video was great, PJ - thanks!  What I find even funnier, though, is when I listen to an audio recording of 'Who's On First' with a live audience.  Somewhere, I have a tape of the same Abbott and Costello routine Michelle posted.  I probably bought it some 30 years ago when 'Old Time Radio' cassettes were popular sellers.  I believe the routine was part of a radio show done just after the end of World War II - probably 1946 - and even some of the commercials were a real hoot...."4 out of 5 doctors smoke Camels" etc.  But my point is, the audience interaction during the routine is kind of infectious, and makes you want to laugh even more!! :lol:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 11, 2017 3:09 pm

PJH:7135 wrote:Chris, I agree---there is nothing like a live audience to generate the laughter that this skit deserves.

Believe it or not, Who's on First was first performed by Abbott and Costello in vaudeville.  Since I'm not quite that old, I had to go to Wikipedia to get the details.  Very interesting information:
"Who's on First?" is descended from turn-of-the-century burlesque sketches like "The Baker Scene" (the shop is located on Watt Street) and "Who Dyed" (the owner is named Who). In the 1930 movie Cracked Nuts, comedians Bert Wheeler and Robert Woolsey examine a map of a mythical kingdom with dialogue like this: "What is next to Which." "What is the name of the town next to Which?" "Yes." In English variety halls (Britain's equivalent of vaudeville theatres), comedian Will Hay performed a routine in the early 1930s (and possibly earlier) as a schoolmaster interviewing a schoolboy named Howe who came from Ware but now lives in Wye. By the early 1930s, a "Baseball Routine" had become a standard bit for burlesque comics across the United States.

After they formally teamed up in burlesque in 1936, Abbott and Costello continued to hone the sketch. It was a big hit in 1937 when they performed the routine in a touring vaudeville revue called "Hollywood Bandwagon".

In February 1938, Abbott and Costello joined the cast of the The Kate Smith Hour radio program, and the sketch was first performed for a national radio audience that March. The routine may have been further polished before this broadcast by burlesque producer John Grant, who became the team's writer, and Will Glickman, a staff writer on the radio show.[2] Glickman may have added the nicknames of then-contemporary baseball players like Dizzy and Daffy Dean to set up the routine's premise. This version, with extensive wordplay based on the fact that most of a fictional baseball team's players had "strange nicknames" that seemed to be questions, became known as "Who's on First?" By 1944, Abbott and Costello had the routine copyrighted.

Abbott and Costello performed "Who's on First?" numerous times in their careers, rarely performing it the same way twice. Once, they did the routine at President Roosevelt's request. The routine was featured in the team's 1940 film debut, One Night in the Tropics. The duo reprised the bit in their 1945 film The Naughty Nineties, and it is that version which is considered their finest recorded rendition. They also performed the routine numerous times on radio and television (notably in The Abbott and Costello Show episode "The Actor's Home").

Return to “"Mark's Friday Night Hoedown"”