Stories of the Century

We all know what the movies and Western shows tell us about the old West, but what are the facts? Here, we’ll discuss what these truths are, and get a better idea of what life was like in the real West!
ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Stories of the Century

Post by ruskin » Sun May 14, 2017 4:49 pm

cowgirl:51160 wrote:Not sure how man of you remember this TV show from 1954.  I remembered it being on but not to much about it.  Whay a great cast!

I have re-visted this TV series and I an enjoying these stories.

These stories are suppose to be from official newspaper files of the early west record many stories of famous and notorious characters of that period,” intoned the voice of Jim Davis as railroad detective Matt Clark.  

Each week Matt Clark was assigned to go after a famous outlaw, who, somehow, always seemed to have some sort of outlawry connection to the Southwestern Railroad. Certainly, all stories of these famous badmen were fictionalized, with Matt Clark always there, no matter what the time period or location. However, each episode did contain the bare essentials of truth about the outlaws, whether it be Billy the Kid, Belle Starr, John Wesley Hardin, the Younger Brothers, or whomever. Approaching 39 episodes, scriptwriters were running out of “name-brand” outlaws and began resorting to lesser known characters such as Milt Sharp, Nate Champion, Burt Alvord and Rube Burrows.

Although they are are quite good I found the one about Cattle Kate quite interesing.  

Ellen Watson, dubbed by local newspapers in the late 1880’s, as "Cattle Kate,” has long been thought of as an outlaw. Watson and her husband, James Averell were hanged by vigilantes near the Sweetwater River in Wyoming on July 20, 1889 for the accused crime of cattle rustling. However, there is a mystery surrounding the hangings and it appears that their deaths were unjustified, perpetrated by powerful land and cattle owners of the time.

I know we have some history buffs here, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Re: Stories of the Century

Gloria Fortner:51161 wrote:We bought a western dvd package that had some of these programs on it.  Very good, but it was funny that sometimes the action took place in the 1860's and sometimes in the late 1890's, but Matt Clark and his side kick had not aged one bit.  Too bad that only happens in the movies.
I don't know much about Cattle Kate, but have read that when landowners caught someone in the act of rustling, they were hanged on the spot with no trial.  Sometimes, I think we need to go back to the wild west justice.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Dulci-Gal:51164 wrote:Thanks for this thread, cowgirl. I had never heard of Stories of the Century. Here is a link  to the wikipedia article about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stories_of_the_Century

I have read about Cattle Kate. I remember seeing a photo somewhere of the (possible) tree where she and Averill were hanged. All of the witnesses appear to have been threatened not to testify. Those who refused mysteriously disappeared, or were found dead...
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sun May 14, 2017 4:50 pm

cowgirl:51168 wrote:
We bought a western dvd package that had some of these programs on it.  Very good, but it was funny that sometimes the action took place in the 1860's and sometimes in the late 1890's, but Matt Clark and his side kick had not aged one bit.

Yes they are very good.  The cast is great.  The first one I watched was Billy the Kid.  I loved who they picked back then for the kid..... Richard Jaeckel.  I just love this guy, no matter what part he plays.

I thought the same thing as you did about the time frame, but hey, can't help but love Jim Davis.  I was surprised a bit that back when they made this, his side kick was a woman.  Not that there's anything wrong with that but for that era and how hard it was in the west.  
I have read about Cattle Kate. I remember seeing a photo somewhere of the (possible) tree where she and Averill were hanged. All of the witnesses appear to have been threatened not to testify. Those who refused mysteriously disappeared, or were found dead...
Yes I have read this about the witnesses.  If what I read & saw about Cattle Kate, I don't think I would have wanted to cross her path.  Besides what she was accused of she seems like the type of person the town wanted to rid themselves of.

Here is the link to the hanging tree for Cattle Kate & Jim Averell.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wyttt ... verell.htm
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sun May 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Dulci-Gal:51170 wrote:Thanks for the link, cowgirl. This is quite a site!
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sun May 14, 2017 4:51 pm

rooster davis:51172 wrote:
cowgirl:51168 wrote:
We bought a western dvd package that had some of these programs on it.  Very good, but it was funny that sometimes the action took place in the 1860's and sometimes in the late 1890's, but Matt Clark and his side kick had not aged one bit.

Yes they are very good.  The cast is great.  The first one I watched was Billy the Kid.  I loved who they picked back then for the kid..... Richard Jaeckel.  I just love this guy, no matter what part he plays.
Richard Jaeckel is one of my favorite cowboy 'bad guys'. He was one of those guys who was good looking but could play the most nasty, evil parts. He was in an early scene of The Gunfighter (with Gregory Peck), and got shot and killed. One of my other favorite bad cowboys, Skip Homeier, was the co-star of that movie.

Jaeckel also played a 'bad' cowboy in The Violent Men - and again got shot and killed.  It was a fantastic scene. Jaeckel had shot and killed one of Ford's ranch hands. Ford comes to the saloon to ask him to give himself up and stand trial. When Jaeckel starts laughing, Ford lets Jeackel have it, then with two cocked revolvers, Ford backs out of the saloon and rides off on his horse.He was also in the Glenn Ford version of "3:10 to Yuma" only he didn't get killed that time so far as I recall.

I read that he died on the exact same day in 1997 that my wife and I moved here to Indiana. Apparently of some kind of cancer, maybe skin cancer.

Jaeckel was great though.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sun May 14, 2017 4:52 pm

Gloria Fortner:51178 wrote:Richard Jaeckel was also a splendid bad guy in Chisum with John Wayne.
Judy (Ruskin)

Return to “The Real West – Fact or Fiction”