Finding Someone From Western History, Followup

We all know what the movies and Western shows tell us about the old West, but what are the facts? Here, we’ll discuss what these truths are, and get a better idea of what life was like in the real West!
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Re: Finding Someone From Western History, Followup

Post by cowgirl » Tue May 30, 2017 7:02 pm

rooster davis:7589 wrote:
chrisb6263 wrote:Okay, but how can I get copies of Pony Express books without installing a Google book downloader???? :???:
You don't have to install a book downloader. All you have to do is go to books.Google.com and do a search on Pony Express for example, or 'cowboy', or whatever. When the results display, there is a little box with a drop-down arrow and the box says 'Showing' - click the arrow and select 'Full view only'. Now you'll only see entire books you can download.

Okay, select a book that you'd like to read - when it opens there will be some things you can click on to the upper right of the reading pane. Click on the arrow next to 'PDF' and it will allow you to save the file to a directory on your computer. I have one I call 'Westerns' just for lack of a better name. Then you can read the book anytime on your PC by clicking on the title where you saved it, and it will open in Acrobat Reader or Adobe Reader. (Just about every PC has that program on it. If by some chance you don't have it on your PC, go to www.adobe.com and click the link that says 'get adobe reader'.

If you start out by reading the books on your screen you'll get hooked and want to download and save to read later.

May I suggest that in addition to Pony Express books, you find and download "The Cowboy" by Philip Ashton Rollins...? You can really learn what it was like being a cowboy - what they wore, ate, did, and didn't do... the detail of that book goes down to the smallest bits of info. It's fascinating.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Re: Finding Someone From Western History, Followup

Post by cowgirl » Tue May 30, 2017 7:02 pm

rooster davis:7590 wrote:Everyone knows by now that I've been tending the grave of Pony Bob Haslam, who was not only the greatest Pony Express rider but also a noted rider throughout the Southwest working for other messenger and mail services also. I read recently that back in those days, being able to do even the slightest favor for a Pony Express rider was deemed a high honor, and I've felt so honored in being able to take care of Pony Bob's grave.

I had a thought that, instead of just keeping flowers growing on Bob's grave, it would be really something to make the arrangement a little more 'official.' I had been in touch with the cemetery already about his grave and they had seen what I'd done with planting the flowers. Since they already knew who I was, I contacted them to inquire whether there was anyone on file as an official contact person for his grave, in the event of anything including heaven forbid damage to the headstone or anything else. He's been buried many years and evidently has no family in the area, and I said I felt he should have someone who could be responsible as a contact person in case of any issues with the grave. I said that if there was no such person on record for him, I would be more than pleased if I could be that person.

It took several days for them to respond, and I hoped that they hadn't thought I was out of line asking about that. But today, I received a nice email back. They'd seen the flowers and photographed his grave, to feature it in their winter publication... and they said they would be very happy to take my information to be used as a contact in case of any issues with the grave.

Not only have I planted flowers at Pony Bob's grave (and will continue to do so) but I'm now basically the custodian of it. I can't tell you how it feels, but when I read book after book where his bravery and adventures are described, I feel most honored to be officially responsible for the grave of a legendary hero of the American West.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Return to “The Real West – Fact or Fiction”