1880's: when did licensing start?

We all know what the movies and Western shows tell us about the old West, but what are the facts? Here, we’ll discuss what these truths are, and get a better idea of what life was like in the real West!
Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

1880's: when did licensing start?

Post by Dana » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:21 pm

In the vision, nils tells Lucas Mark needs a "certificated m.d." nils is a veterinarian -I guess. There is a territorial vet in none so blind. In six years and a day, dr. Cooke can no longer practice medicine. It seems to me , he could have gone to another part of the west with no one being any more the wiser. We're doctors licensed back then? Did Sam barrows have a barber license?Did Sweeney have a liquor license? Did Eddie's staff at the hotel restaurant have a food handling license?

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: 1880's: when did licensing start?

Post by wildwest » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:03 pm

good question Dana..... even about teachers......In Little House on the Prairie.... Half Pint grew up to be a teacher. did she get any schooling or licensing?? Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman, was supposed to have been taught in Boston.

I imagine in the Old West if ya could remove a bullet, crudely sew someone up, treat snakebite, deliver babies and could stand blood and also probably treated farm animals ......you could be a Doctor

Hey.....then Lucas could be a Doctor. He delivered a baby, put a splint on Wills leg, treated every dude who was shot and stumbled to the ranch for medical help. Dr Lucas McCain

A Civil War medical tidbit.......
As in earlier wars, untreated casualties sometimes survived unexpectedly due to maggots debriding the wound -an observation which led to the surgical use of maggots -still a useful method in the absence of effective antibiotics.

The U.S. Army learned many lessons and in August 1886, it established the Hospital Corps
In 1852, the standards were revised to add more requirements:

Some US info on Doctoring.....

Medical schools had to provide a 16-week course of instruction that included anatomy, medicine, surgery, midwifery, and chemistry
Graduates had to be at least 21 years of age
Students had to complete a minimum of 3 years of study, 2 years of which were under an acceptable practitioner

Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1920), after graduating from Geneva College of Medicine in upstate New York, became the first woman granted an MD degree in the United States.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Re: 1880's: when did licensing start?

Post by Dana » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Thank you, wildwest! Hattie was apparently qualified to be a doctor because she was a woman. Realistically, she probably did care for a lot of people besides Mark. In three-legged terror , Lucas diagnoses miss Adams' injuries.

Return to “The Real West – Fact or Fiction”