The gilded age

We all know what the movies and Western shows tell us about the old West, but what are the facts? Here, we’ll discuss what these truths are, and get a better idea of what life was like in the real West!
Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

The gilded age

Post by Dana » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:46 am

I am now reading the gilded age by Alan Axelrod. According to the book, In 1867, farmers formed and organized the grange movement to protect their interests. The grange organization pressed congress to pass the Granger act, which set limits on railroad and warehouse fees. In 1887, congress passed the interstate commerce act, which required railroads to charge reasonable rates and forbid railroads from giving discounts to "preferred" customers. I wonder if this is something Lucas talked about with the cattlemen's association.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Re: The gilded age

Post by Dana » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:39 am

Also according to alan Axelrod,the nationalgrange of the order of the patrons of husbandry, also known as the grange, a fraternal order of farmers, were a big part of the populist movement. Many grange members were members of the greenback movement. The greenback party wanted to Have a back up system to money based entirely on.the gold backed monetary system.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Re: The gilded age

Post by Dana » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:41 am

I can't remember where I read this, but the Pendleton act of 1883, which ended the spoils system had two major long-term effects. Rather than being assigned to a federal job from back east, government jobs began to be filled by the local population. Also, the Pendleton act also started lobbyist movements.

Return to “The Real West – Fact or Fiction”