Arrest and Trial

Everybody knows Chuck Connors for his role as Lucas McCain in "The Rifleman." He also did so many other things. He was good at no matter what he did! Besides The Rifleman what else have you enjoyed seeing Chuck in?
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Arrest and Trial

Post by cowgirl » Mon May 15, 2017 11:09 am

westpoint64:30926 wrote:This was the NBC-TV series, produced by Revue Studios, that Chuck starred in immediately following the end of The Rifleman in 1963.
Chuck played a defense attorney named John Egan...I have the boxed DVD set of the show and have not yet seen all the episodes. I thought Chuck was good and brought over certain "McCain" aspects to his portrayal of Egan on the show, but for some reason, A&T just didn't "take"....some say that Arrest and Trial was too long or that it might have been too "busy"....
I wonder if the public was ready yet to accept Chuck in a different role. Arrest premiered the same year The Rifleman went off the air.
Does anyone here have any opinions about Chuck and this show?

David
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Arrest and Trial

Post by cowgirl » Mon May 15, 2017 11:10 am

Jules:31664 wrote:I like watching the show.  I have the whole boxed set. Bugs me to no end that it is in black and white when other shows in that time period are in color.

I also love looking at all those old cars!  Sorry...I think I got that habit from my dad and brother. :roll:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Mon May 15, 2017 11:10 am

TVFan:31729 wrote:
A&T just didn't "take"....some say that Arrest and Trial was too long or that it might have been too "busy"....
I recently got the DVDs from my library.  I wish there were more than just 9 episodes available.  I thought it was a good show, but  I can understand why a 90 minute might be too long for some people.  I also read that A&T was aired on Sunday nights against the Ed Sullivan show and some other very popular program.  

The writing was interesting, and it seemed very "liberal" (for lack of a better word) for the early 60s.  Or maybe as someone born in the 70s I just haven't seen enough modern TV from this era.  For example, the drug addict was a victim rather than someone who should be held responsible for his actions.  A witness in another case reveals in court that she is pregnant by her boyfriend (the defendant).  I loved seeing all the old cars (Chuck's character alternated between a station wagon and a flashy convertible?) and clothes.  Men wore very slim suits then which are making a comeback.  The women all had very styled hair.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:01 am

I ordered the series from Amazon today. It should arrive Friday.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:34 am

The DVD was waiting for me when I arrived home this evening.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:08 pm

I saw some of the episodes at the time and I agree with the comments. Personally it was too close to the Rifleman ending for me. I was constantly looking for....'Lucas-isms' in his character. I appreciate the episodes more now.

anything Chuck is worth watching!
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:47 pm

Right now , i am concentrating on the excellent retellings by the ranch hands, then I will watch this series. One obsession at a time!

Return to “Chuck Connors “Significant Other” Work”