Fed up

Gather round the ol' cracker-barrel for some down-home talk about the usual words, phrases,or expressions that puzzle you as you watch The Rifleman.
Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Fed up

Post by Dana »

The expression "fed up" began in the later half of the 19th century. It comes from that condition of having eaten too much and feeling ready to explode. Not to be too presumptuous, but I think we have all been there.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Fed up

Post by wildwest »

been there...done that....especially around the holidays!
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Duchess McCain
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Duchess McCain »

It's quite descriptive, haha! A thing that, should we hear/see it one more time, we'll throw our cookies overboard.
If you climb in the saddle be ready for the ride.

Duchess McCain :coolcowboy:

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana »

Duchess McCain wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:01 pm
It's quite descriptive, haha! A thing that, should we hear/see it one more time, we'll throw our cookies overboard.
Duchess, I have been trying to find the origin of "tossing one's cookies", but no luck. Any ideas.

Judy
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Judy »

Dana wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:57 pm
Duchess McCain wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:01 pm
Duchess, I have been trying to find the origin of "tossing one's cookies", but no luck. Any ideas.
Dana: I hope you don't mind that I step in here, but the following link may contain the kind of information you are looking for: http://tinyurl.com/syucr7d
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest »

oh my....who knew there was a game called 'toss your cookies'

Sometimes a game gets you with its name. Such is the case with Toss Your Cookies. Yet, behind the hilarious title is not just some half-baked card game but one that has all the ingredients that make a household classic. Between the yummy assortment of cookies and the crazy assortment of actions, this game will surely satisfy your appetite for fun.

and the reference of giving babies soft cookies.......I did not know that.........you gals are a wealth of information!!
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana »

Thank you, Judy! Wonderful information! I do not mind anyone answering. I am an information junkie!

Judy
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Judy »

You are very welcome for the link; I’m glad you enjoyed the information it contained.

I have not heard of giving a sick baby a soft cookie to eat because they were more easily digested than other foods, either. However, since I haven’t tried it, then I shouldn’t knock it. My mother used to give us Black Raspberry Juice to drink when we had upset stomachs, and it worked like a charm. It is unfortunate that fresh and frozen Black Raspberries are non-existence in todays grocery stores; at least they are in my corner of the world. (Granted, I can get Black Raspberry Jam, but it is not the same as fresh or frozen berries.) Red Raspberries are plentiful, but not the Black Raspberries. I grew up on Black Raspberries; they grew wild in my parents wooded area of their farm. I didn't know Red Raspberries existed until I moved out of my parents house!

I did a little more research and found the following information on the origin of the phase 'toss your cookies'. (Underlining and highlighting are mine.):

13. TOSS ONE’S COOKIES

Lose, spill, or toss your cookies is chiefly used in the North and North Midland. According to the OED, the phrase originated in the late 1920s as college slang: “An hour later, according to the log, ‘McFie shot his cookies’, the only sea-sickness on the voyage.” You can also say flash, park, cough up, or drop your cookies.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/wboamyz

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana »

Judy, thank you! Not to gross anyone out, but the slang word Ralph comes from us bending down and paying homage to the great porcelain God raaaaalph!

Judy
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Judy »

You're welcome, Dana. I read the same thing about the slang word Ralph; you're right, it is gross. :sadcowboy:

Return to “Unusual Words, Phrases, or Expressions”