Greensleeves

Gather round the ol' cracker-barrel for some down-home talk about the usual words, phrases,or expressions that puzzle you as you watch The Rifleman.
Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Greensleeves

Post by Dana » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:53 am

If this song from old tony is any indication, things do not bode well for Lucas and Mark. "Alas, my love you do me wrong to cast me away so discourteously" is believed to be a song about Henry Tudor and Anne boylean-uh oh. Another origin theory is that greensleeves is slang for a prostitute. Her sleeves are green because of grass stains-think of Lou forgetting her shoes and Lucas brushing the hay from her hair.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Greensleeves

Post by wildwest » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Oh my...I did not know this. ..I wonder if Lucas knew Mark was playing this song. he protected him so much. like when Mark asked Lucas......"what a hussy was" .... think Mark was smarter than he let on
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Re: Greensleeves

Post by Dana » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:11 pm

I didn't know about possible origins for the song until I looked it up on Wikipedia -admittedly not always the most reliable source. Did Lucas or Tony know the supposed background? Did the writers or am I am just reading too much into it? Hopefully, at least Mark learned about Henry viii. Whatever Griswold left to be desired, he must have taught the kids British history.

Return to “Unusual Words, Phrases, or Expressions”