The Debt - Wow Lucas was mad!

I thought it would be neat to have a place to discuss "The Rifleman" episodes. If there is an episode you wish to discuss in length, please feel free to post it here.
User avatar
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni
Posts: 11116
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: The Debt - Wow Lucas was mad!

Post by wildwest » Tue May 16, 2017 1:08 am

cowgirl:47746 wrote:'Three Legged-Terror' #30 (example)
I think it was meant differently because Mark has stated in a couple of episodes that Lucas had never hit/whipped him.


'The Boarding House' #22 - "Pa had to take a belt to my britches before I understood."

What I find interesting is Sam Peckinpah wrote 'The Boarding House' & 'Three Legged-Terror' was written by Palmer Thompson

Again I think it depends on who wrote what episodes.  smiley_confused
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

User avatar
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni
Posts: 11116
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: The Debt - Wow Lucas was mad!

Post by wildwest » Tue May 16, 2017 1:09 am

Duchess McCain:47752 wrote:I saw somewhere that Chuck Connors helped to write "The Boarding House."  Do you know anything about that, cowgirl?  It would be interesting to hear the actors' opinion on this. . .
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

User avatar
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni
Posts: 11116
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: The Debt - Wow Lucas was mad!

Post by wildwest » Tue May 16, 2017 1:09 am

Western Gal:47757 wrote:
cowgirl:47746 wrote:'Three Legged-Terror' #30 (example)
I think it was meant differently because Mark has stated in a couple of episodes that Lucas had never hit/whipped him.

'The Boarding House' #22 - "Pa had to take a belt to my britches before I understood."

What I find interesting is Sam Peckinpah wrote 'The Boarding House' & 'Three Legged-Terror' was written by Palmer Thompson

Again I think it depends on who wrote what episodes.  smiley_confused
Didn't Sam Peckinpah leave because the series was becoming more family focused and he wanted more grit and violence ?

Agree, it probably does depend on who wrote the episodes. In "The Debt", written by Calvin Clements, Mark says "My Pa never hit me !".

Given the way Lucas always spoke about talking things out with Mark and how the episodes usually ended with them having serious discussions about the how/why of things, I doubt Lucas would ever have spanked Mark.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

User avatar
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni
Posts: 11116
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: The Debt - Wow Lucas was mad!

Post by wildwest » Tue May 16, 2017 1:09 am

Ava:47758 wrote:
Given the way Lucas always spoke about talking things out with Mark and how the episodes usually ended with them having serious discussions about the how/why of things, I doubt Lucas would ever have spanked Mark.
It was generally about this time parenting in the U. S. began a move toward less spanking and more talking things out with your child. Maybe the scripts were geared toward reflecting that.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

User avatar
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni
Posts: 11116
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: The Debt - Wow Lucas was mad!

Post by wildwest » Tue May 16, 2017 1:10 am

Howard:47769 wrote:
Ava:47758 wrote: It was generally about this time parenting in the U. S.
began a move toward less spanking
and more talking things out with your child.
Maybe in YOUR neck of the woods!!  smiley_scared

Dan
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

User avatar
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni
Posts: 11116
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: The Debt - Wow Lucas was mad!

Post by wildwest » Tue May 16, 2017 1:10 am

Ava:47770 wrote:
Maybe in YOUR neck of the woods!!  
Dan, I wasn't around then, and my parents must not have kept up with the parenting trends, because when I did come along they didn't generally talk it out with me! But I was thinking of what Dr. John Rosemond, a child psychologist today, says about that period. He says that was the era when parents handed control over to the kids, much to the detriment of society. Also, didn't Leave it to Beaver and some other shows from that time feature a lot of parent-child discussions, but not much corporal punishment?
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

User avatar
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni
Posts: 11116
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: The Debt - Wow Lucas was mad!

Post by wildwest » Tue May 16, 2017 1:11 am

Howard:47776 wrote:
Ava:47770 wrote:
Dan, I wasn't around then, and my parents must not have kept up with the parenting trends, because when I did come along they didn't generally talk it out with me! But I was thinking of what Dr. John Rosemond, a child psychologist today, says about that period. He says that was the era when parents handed control over to the kids, much to the detriment of society. Also, didn't Leave it to Beaver and some other shows from that time feature a lot of parent-child discussions, but not much corporal punishment?
I was never beaten, let's be clear about that...
However! If I spoke back to my mother or father,
they were not afraid to give me a slight slap on the mouth..
THEN they talked about what respect was..
They were also not afraid to slap my hand,
when I was really young, after telling me,
unsuccessfully, to "don't touch that"...

The Nuns at the school I went to, were also not afraid
to crack you on the top of the hand, with a ruler,
for whatever it was that you did to pi$$ them off!

My Dad passed away very young, my Mom is going to turn 90 soon.
I visit my mom every other day, and I miss my dad, still...

Moral of the story.. I got both talking, and a few "slaps"..
had zero effect on ever feeling poorly about what they did..
telling your kid "you're going to get a time out, when we get home",
and then not following through, means diddly.
Slapping your hand, the instant you are touching that expensive
toy in the store that your Mom doesn't want to buy if you break it,
is an instant learning opportunity!!  :wink:

Dan
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

User avatar
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni
Posts: 11116
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: The Debt - Wow Lucas was mad!

Post by wildwest » Tue May 16, 2017 1:11 am

Ava:47778 wrote:Dan, It sounds like your parents wanted what was best for you and you benefited from that. I love hearing that you visit your mom every other day!
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

User avatar
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni
Posts: 11116
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: The Debt - Wow Lucas was mad!

Post by wildwest » Tue May 16, 2017 1:11 am

cowgirl:47780 wrote:
I saw somewhere that Chuck Connors helped to write "The Boarding House."  Do you know anything about that, cowgirl?  It would be interesting to hear the actors' opinion on this. . .
Sam Peckinpah was the Writer & Director of 'The Boarding House.'

Chuck did help with 'The Actress' - 'The Blood Brothers' & 'The Visitor'

He Lawrence Dobkin wrote 'The Actress' together.

http://www.riflemanconnors.com/lawrence_dobkin.htm

Can anone think of any other episodes that an actor wrote or helped writed an episode of TR?  smiley_girllaughing
Didn't Sam Peckinpah leave because the series was becoming more family focused and he wanted more grit and violence ?
Yes this is true.  You can find a lot about this in Sam's book.....

If They Move . . . Kill 'Em!: The Life and Times of Sam Peckinpah ...
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

User avatar
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni
Posts: 11116
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: The Debt - Wow Lucas was mad!

Post by wildwest » Tue May 16, 2017 1:12 am

Western Gal:47782 wrote:
cowgirl:47780 wrote:
Can anone think of any other episodes that an actor wrote or helped writed an episode of TR?  smiley_girllaughing
Robert Culp wrote Waste - Parts 1 & 2.

Love Robert Culp. Strongly dislike those episodes.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Post Reply

Return to “The Rifleman”