Johnny in El Dorado

I thought it would be neat to have a place to discuss "The Rifleman" episodes. If there is an episode you wish to discuss in length, please feel free to post it here.
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Johnny in El Dorado

Post by wildwest » Tue May 16, 2017 11:07 pm

wildwest:57598 wrote:I noticed that it is  John Wayne  week this week on channel  INSP.  If you get channel  INSP you can check out the listing.  I think El Dorado is being shown this  Sat at 8:00.    1966

I am a big fan of the "Duke" and also Johnny and Paul Fix is in this movie.  Johnny is handsome in his western gear at age 20 so we get so see what a 20 year 0ld Mark McCain would have looked like.  He plays Luke McDonald (name so similar to Lucas McCain)

Johnny is only in the first 15 minutes but it is worth seeing and the entire movie is good.  Johnny wore a  pair of John Waynes chaps in the scene and was gifted them for doing the movie.  He said he would have done the movie for free just to get them.

"Don't shoot no more mister....please"  Luke McDonald
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Johnny in El Dorado

Post by wildwest » Tue May 16, 2017 11:08 pm

ruskin:57604 wrote:
I am a big fan of the "Duke"
Me too!!
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:25 pm

wildwest:57598 wrote:  Johnny is handsome in his western gear at age 20 so we get so see what a 20 year 0ld Mark McCain would have looked like.  He plays Luke McDonald (name so similar to Lucas McCain)

"Don't shoot no more mister....please"  Luke McDonald
Watching "El Dorado" - Johnny had such a small part but worth every second he was on the screen. Not enough close-ups on that handsome face.

I just caught the name of the character he was playing. DUH! (Luke McDonald)

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:13 pm

Yes....Luke McDonald so close to name Lucas McCain. Johnny said he would have done the part for free just to get John Waynes chaps.....Johnny noticed the other actors were wearing chaps so he asked for some. He wore a pair of John Waynes chaps. when Johnny went to turn them in John gave them to Johnny.

that role we could see a 20 year old Mark McCain. I have those several minutes saved on my PC and I keep playing them back. "don't shoot no more mister" and the pic of the Duke taking him back to the ranch laying over the horse is even on the record cover for the movie. love it

thats also why I like to watch Johnny on Big Valley, he was 23 and played a deputy. we never got to see Mark grow up so we have to see what Mark would have been on other shows.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:50 pm

Johnny played a Deputy in "Branded" and a Deputy on "The Big Valley".

The writers of those shows must have wanted to see Mark McCain grown up enough to wear/shoot a gun like we did.

It would have been nice to see Lucas and Mark as Deputies of North Fork while Micah was out of town. Maybe in season 7 (in color). Wishful thinking on my part. :)

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:48 pm

I totally agree with you. Johnny was a handsome deputy and I would imagine Lucas would have been proud to stand in the street against violence with Mark by his side.....and in color! sigh

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:59 pm

Have you seen Johnny in Hawaii Five O?? -He was 22 and in GI Gear but I must say he looks more comfortable in western gear. Johnny WAS a cowboy.....he just was! The episode was "By the Numbers" 1968

you can google

"You gotta help me! You know I didn't kill anyone..." - YouTube..... for a brief clip

or you can google Hawaii Five O Johnny Crawford

Return to “The Rifleman”