Where did "dad" come from?

I thought it would be neat to have a place to discuss "The Rifleman" episodes. If there is an episode you wish to discuss in length, please feel free to post it here.
Morgan
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Where did "dad" come from?

Post by Morgan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:29 pm

In the first episode, Mark says, "I can shoot my dad's rifle, but he won't let me carry a pistol." (From what I can tell, this was left out of the story version on this website. 👌)

Pa, and sometimes father sounds right. But I just don't feel like "dad" fits Lucas McCain.

1. Does this drive anyone else crazy?
2. Does Mark call Lucas "dad" in any other episode?
3. I wouldn't put it past a ten year old Mark to stretch the truth, but I thought Mark wasn't ever really supposed to mess with the rifle. Is there an episode where Mark shoots it with Lucas's permission?
~Morgan
"A man doesn't run from a fight, but that doesn't mean he has to go runnin' to one, either."

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Where did "dad" come from?

Post by Deneen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:55 pm

I guess "Dad" doesn't fit Lucas because we're used to hearing Mark calling Lucas "Pa". (Pa - Pa - Pa) To me - "Dad" wouldn't sound as good as "Pa".
In those days - "Pa" was commonly used.

In the second season ("Panic") Mark said: "I'll see you tomorrow "Dad".

During the entire series - Mark never fired a gun.
Not even after Lucas bought Mark a rifle.
Lucas said he wanted Mark to have his "growing up time".

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:24 am

Mark went hunting with his 22 but then did not shoot the buck. He was holding Lucas rifle in And the Devil Makes Five to shoot the rattlesnake but the bad guy grabbed it out of Marks hands. darn it.

the closest Mark gets is.....tossing the rifle to Lucas several times in a pinch

have you seen El Dorado with Johnny and John Wayne. Johnny was supposed to be keeping watch. when John Wayne rides by Johnny starts shooting at him but John Wayne kills him. Paul Fix is also in the movie.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Post by cowgirl » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:22 am

What does The Sharpshooter ― A Friend in Need ― Panic ― Skull ― The Vision all have in common? In all of these episodes we hear Lucas referred to as 'Dad' or 'Daddy'.

In The Sharpshooter - Vernon also refers to Lucas as "Your Dad." Maybe because this was a pilot, they hadn't decided what Mark would call Lucas.
I know in the original script of The Sharpshooter Mark does call Lucas Dad.

A Friend in Need - Carl Avery refers to Lucas as Dad or Daddy when talking to Mark.

Vision - Hazel make a remark about Mark being a sweet friendly boy, she wish she could say the same for his Daddy. She also refers to Lucas as Pop.

Skull - The Lordsburg sheriff refers to Lucas as “your Daddy’’ when addressing Mark.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:18 pm

Thank you Cowgirl....I did not know there was that many!
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

Morgan
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Morgan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:02 am

cowgirl wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:22 am
What does The Sharpshooter ― A Friend in Need ― Panic ― Skull ― The Vision all have in common? In all of these episodes we hear Lucas referred to as 'Dad' or 'Daddy'.

In The Sharpshooter - Vernon also refers to Lucas as "Your Dad." Maybe because this was a pilot, they hadn't decided what Mark would call Lucas.
I know in the original script of The Sharpshooter Mark does call Lucas Dad.

A Friend in Need - Carl Avery refers to Lucas as Dad or Daddy when talking to Mark.

Vision - Hazel make a remark about Mark being a sweet friendly boy, she wish she could say the same for his Daddy. She also refers to Lucas as Pop.

Skull - The Lordsburg sheriff refers to Lucas as “your Daddy’’ when addressing Mark.
I knew Lucas was referred to as "dad" or "daddy" by other characters, and in keeping with the situations it sounded alright. It just drives me nuts to hear Mark call him that. I'll get off my soap box now ;)
~Morgan
"A man doesn't run from a fight, but that doesn't mean he has to go runnin' to one, either."

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:32 pm

that's quite alright. you don't know unless you ask. I have learned SO much from the Ranchhands here!! We are all Rifleman fanatics

Return to “The Rifleman”