Episodes that make you uncomfortable

I thought it would be neat to have a place to discuss "The Rifleman" episodes. If there is an episode you wish to discuss in length, please feel free to post it here.
Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Episodes that make you uncomfortable

Post by Dana » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:24 am

The babysitter: I did not like wood bartell, but it made me uncomfortable to see Micah telling Lucas how to get fancy to Leona without knowing wood finding out. As Micah said a few episodes earlier, the law does not take personalities into account. There were no court orders and he should not have involved himself in a domestic/civil matter. (Yes, I know times were different then. )

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Re: Episodes that make you uncomfortable

Post by cowgirl » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:38 am

Gun Shy & The Decision - When Lucas is in Marks face. My heart just went out to Mark.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:25 pm

I understand that Lucas can't be too lenient with Mark.
But I don't like it when Lucas kinda loses his temper with Mark and then realizes that he should apologize. My heart hurts for Mark. :cry: The acting is just so real.

"Dark Day At North Fork"
I was so frustrated! I couldn’t stand feeling shamed in front of Mark this way! "Go to bed Mark!" I yelled.

The tone of my voice scared Mark. "Yes sir," he answered as he backed away.

I suddenly realized what I had done. I reached for him, but he wasn’t there. "Son...Son...Son...” He finally walked back where I could grab him. I grabbed him by the arm and worked at setting myself in a chair so I could talk to my boy face to face. “Come here Son." My voice was soft and no longer angry.

"Mark, I didn't mean to speak to you that way. I-” I assured him. I hated being this way! It was so frustrating!

"Long Gun From Tucson"
I turned and looked at him. “I said you’re not old enough to handle a gun!” I yelled. We looked at each other for a moment. “Now get Jeffrey and go on out to the Waller house. And don’t come back to town until I send for you. You understand?” My voice was angry as I spoke.

“Yes sir.” Mark turned to leave.

I couldn’t leave it like this! I just couldn’t – it could be the last time that- “Mark.” Mark turned. I stood and walked around the desk. “Commere, son.” I sat down on the edge of the desk as Mark looked at me. “Commere.”

I gently put my hand around his shoulders and looked straight into his eyes as I spoke. I had to make him understand what I was saying. "Someday you'll be standing along side me, the two of us together, both of us men. But right now you've got something coming first. A growing up time."
I also agree with CowGirl's answers. :happycowboy:

~Deneen~

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:30 am

The schoolmaster: again, I realize it was a different time, but I really think Mr. Griswold was right -though undiplomatic-about not letting Lucas bring his rifle to the school.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:59 am

Bloodlines: as Micah said a few episodes later, the law does not take personalities into account. Pa Malachi was a lowlife, but Micah refusing to shake his hand was churlish. In the deadly wait, Micah said he could not use his badge to satisfy a grudge, but when Micah was aggravated by his own stupidity and let one of the brothers out of jail and got clobbered in the head, the packed the bullets in the salt, it was kind of petty and appalling, albeit funny.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:47 am

The martinet: when Micah refused to tell captain Perry about what happened to Lon Perry, it made me uncomfortable because captain Perry had every right to know the circumstances of his son's death.I really think Micah was shielding Lucas rather than trying to protect the captain and the peace.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:31 pm

A Case of Identity. You felt sorry for Wingate because he had lost a son and you could understand his passion but you also did not want Wingate taking Mark as his own

Wyoming Story. My heart broke for Mark and Milly not knowing where Lucas went but Lucas had to do it in private for all involved
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:58 pm

Can't remember the name of the episode off hand, but the one where Richard Anderson is the salesman/woman attacker/killer. Being female, that one makes me really uncomfortable.
Judy (Ruskin)

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:23 pm

Was it Flowers by the Door?
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:24 pm

Yup, I think that's the one, thanks!
Judy (Ruskin)

Return to “The Rifleman”