"He did the best he could...He just wasn't good enough.

I thought this might be fun if we could jot down some of the quotes that we love from "The Rifleman" episodes. Also if you know the episode in which your quote came from please note that also, if not, no problem.
Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

"He did the best he could...He just wasn't good enough.

Post by Deneen » Sat May 20, 2017 5:54 am

Michelle P.:16515 wrote:When Mark says this, the expression on Lucas's face remains nil.  He shows no expression...but what do you think he was feeling inside?  The only thing he could muster out was "I hope that answer is good enough for you."  But, how do you think it made Lucas feel to hear his son say those words?  After all, a child is supposed to think his Pa is the best thing in the world - yet here, Mark says "he wasn't good enough..."

This always tugs at my heartstrings!
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: "He did the best he could...He just wasn't good enough.

Post by Deneen » Sat May 20, 2017 5:56 am

BluewindFarm:16526 wrote:I think it was easier for Lucas to look at it this way, to let his boy know he tried his best, but it wasn't good enough, than to have to face the fact that someone had used him against his Pa.

He would come to realize this so many times later in his life, but at this point in time, he didn't need to know how much of a weakness he was to his Pa.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: "He did the best he could...He just wasn't good enough.

Post by Deneen » Sat May 20, 2017 5:58 am

Michelle P.:16530 wrote:Deanne, I got distracted while writing this while ago (I think it was your email... :shock: )  Anyhow...We are thinking alike again, because I was going to add that he's probably so relieved to have his son alive that he could care less what Mark thought of his shooting ability...

Return to “North Fork Telegraph Office”