"Cowboys On and Off the Set"

'Archive news section' - old news but good news. This is open to all members. If any of you have an article you would like to share, please feel free to post your articles of interest in this section - 'Archive News' - 'Out of the Past'
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

"Cowboys On and Off the Set"

Post by cowgirl » Sat May 20, 2017 11:54 am

Ava:49175 wrote:I have several items to post at the ranch. I've been trying to avoid posting duplicate items, but the ranch has so much great information that it takes a long time to check what's already here. I hope no one objects to seeing something they may have seen here before. If I know the source, I'll post it. If you don't see source information and you know when and where the item was first published, please add that information. Thank you!

"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Cowboys On and Off the Set"

Western Gal:49176 wrote:Thanks for the post Ava !

Had never heard "bent" used as a noun before.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ava:49177 wrote:
Thanks for the post Ava !

Had never heard "bent" used as a noun before.
You're welcome! That is an interesting use of the word "bent" and it was used twice in that short article.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

TVFan:49179 wrote:Thanks for posting, Ava.  I like the picture of Chuck and Johnny, but the writer didn't do very well with the article.  Chuck never played for the Stars, but he did play for the Angels.  They were both PCL teams in LA.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Sat May 20, 2017 11:55 am

Western Gal:49180 wrote:Perhaps this article was in a magazine from another country ?

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ava:49181 wrote:
the writer didn't do very well with the article.
The article also says Chuck's first role was in a baseball movie, which is untrue.
Perhaps this article was in a magazine from another country ?
That might help explain some of the inaccuracies.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Judy:49182 wrote:Thanks for posting this article for us, Ava.  I really like the picture of Chuck and Johnny; you can sure tell those two were fond of each other – their smiles tell it all.

I agree with TVFan, the writer did not do justice by the article. For such a short write-up, you’d think the writer could have gotten all of the information correct.

Something that I caught my attention is where the writer wrote: Several outstanding character parts led to the starring role in ABC’s “The Rifleman.” Correct me if I am wrong – it is my understanding that there was only one role Chuck played which led to his starring role of Lucas McCain in The Rifleman; the role of Burn Sanderson in the Old Yeller movie. It’s true that Chuck did play character parts in several films before he starred in The Rifleman, but those parts did not have anything to do with him landing the role of Lucas McCain. The producers of Four Star Television had offered Chuck a certain amount of money to do 39 episodes for the 1958-59 season. However, the offer turned out to be less than he was making doing freelance acting, so he turned it down. Then the producers took their own children to watch the Old Yeller movie; after watching Chuck play the part of Burn Sanderson, they decided they should cast him in the role of Lucas McCain and make him a better offer, including a five-percent ownership of the show.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Connors#The_Rifleman

I have never heard the word "bent" used as a noun before, either; it’s such a strange word to use in the sentences it appeared in.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Sat May 20, 2017 11:56 am

Ava:49189 wrote:
Thanks for posting this article for us, Ava.  I really like the picture of Chuck and Johnny; you can sure tell those two were fond of each other – their smiles tell it all.
You're welcome! That is a great picture of Chuck and Johnny. JC's birthday is in March, and he looks very young, so I believe the picture is from March 1959, when he turned 13. I wonder what happened to that chair?

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Sat May 20, 2017 11:57 am

Judy:49196 wrote:
Ava:49189 wrote:
Thanks for posting this article for us, Ava.  I really like the picture of Chuck and Johnny; you can sure tell those two were fond of each other – their smiles tell it all.
You're welcome! That is a great picture of Chuck and Johnny. JC's birthday is in March, and he looks very young, so I believe the picture is from March 1959, when he turned 13. I wonder what happened to that chair?
I was also thinking Chuck probably gave Johnny the chair in March 1959. Hmmmm, maybe Johnny still has the chair!!! I can’t see him getting rid of a birthday gift from a man whom he says was his hero. Here is Johnny’s quote, which I underlined:

"We remained friends throughout the rest of his life. He was always interested in what I was doing and ready with advice, and anxious to help in any way that he could ... He was a great guy, a lot of fun, great sense of humor, bigger than life, and he absolutely loved people. He was very gregarious and friendly, and not at all bashful ... I learned a great deal from him about acting, and he was a tremendous influence on me. He was just my hero."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Connors (Scroll down to the section titled, Acting Career, and then the sub-title of The Rifleman)

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Sat May 20, 2017 11:57 am

jccc:49230 wrote:Thank you Ava for everything you have posted thus far!! Certainly looking forward to all your additions! :) Who knows--maybe Johnny still has the chair!  :cool:

Judy, while it is true that just Chuck's part in Old Yeller directly led to him getting the Lucas McCain role, I interpreted it differently. I thought the author was thinking in more broad, big picture-type terms. Take for instance when a student graduates. The student had to work hard and succeed at a myriad of subjects in order to be awarded a diploma.

But I really think that sentence should have been more clear. I absolutely see where you are coming from.

Return to “North Fork Gazette Archive News - out of the past”