A cowboy & his gun

Let's talk about these three great stars of "The Rifleman." They certainly made the show what it was & is today. I thought they deserved their own section.
Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

A cowboy & his gun

Post by Deneen » Mon May 29, 2017 9:22 am

cowgirl:42776 wrote:Someone sent me this and I thought you cowboys  & cowgirls might find this interesting.....

The old COLT Single Action Army revolvers could not be carried with a round under the hammer.

In order to be safely carried they were actually "FIVE SHOOTERS" and not "SIX SHOOTERS."

One cylinder chamber needed to stay empty. So the cowboys used to tightly roll up a $20.00 paper bill and keep that money in the one chamber.

That was their Burying Money  in case they ended up on the losing end of a gunfight.

That cylinder money paid for their "pine box" - with enough $$$ left over to get their body into the ground.

With the cost of funerals these days you would need to stuff at least 7 Thousand Dollars into your GLOCK opening.

Your Burying Money just wouldn't physically fit.  

So be certain to keep your skills honed so that you stay alive.  :wink:
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: A cowboy & his gun

Post by Deneen » Mon May 29, 2017 9:26 am

rooster davis:42782 wrote:
cowgirl:42776 wrote:Someone sent me this and I thought you cowboys  & cowgirls might find this interesting.....

The old COLT Single Action Army revolvers could not be carried with a round under the hammer.

In order to be safely carried they were actually "FIVE SHOOTERS" and not "SIX SHOOTERS."

One cylinder chamber needed to stay empty. So the cowboys used to tightly roll up a $20.00 paper bill and keep that money in the one chamber.

That was their Burying Money  in case they ended up on the losing end of a gunfight.

That cylinder money paid for their "pine box" - with enough $$$ left over to get their body into the ground.

With the cost of funerals these days you would need to stuff at least 7 Thousand Dollars into your GLOCK opening.

Your Burying Money just wouldn't physically fit.  

So be certain to keep your skills honed so that you stay alive.  :wink:
Not QUITE true. It is possible to load six rounds into the cylinder, one in every chamber, but it is also possible to carry the gun that way. How?

The reason is the way the cocking mechanism works in the Colt single action (the standard 'cowboy gun'). You can pull back the hammer to the first click and release it, and it will not drop all the way back to where the firing pin touches the cartridge; the hammer rests about 1/8 of an inch from its seated position. Now the gun is said to be half-cocked. I've got a couple of these guns and know how they work.

You could actually carry the gun that way, but it IS very dangerous. Dropping the gun or even banging it into something could be enough to cause it to fire that round. So any cowboy or sheriff or outlaw or gunfighter with half a brain would almost never load all six rounds into the gun. So Cowgirl, for most practical purposes your information is correct. Seldom would a cowboy load up all six chambers of the cylinder.

Remember when Grid Maule showed Lucas that he could shoot out the matches? Of course he was firing blanks but this was a perfect demonstration of what I'm saying. He had six rounds loaded and fired them all. What Grid (Billy Hughes) did in that scene was exactly the way I described it... six rounds loaded and the hammer left in the half-cocked position. From there you would just complete cocking the hammer, the cylinder would rotate to the next chamber and you're ready to fire. Then  you'd crank through the remaining rounds, firing last the round that was under the hammer when it was half-cocked.

Ever hear the saying about 'going off half-cocked'? Now you know where it comes from. Carrying your gun with a round under the half-cocked hammer and accidentally firing it, you weren't ready for that to happen.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Mon May 29, 2017 9:28 am

Rhody:42801 wrote:Very interesting and informative, Rooster.  Thanks!

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Mon May 29, 2017 9:31 am

markisddg:46129 wrote:All very interesting and love the $20.00 bill rolled up for the pine box etc.

Return to “Sam Barrow's Barber Shop Archives”