The Rifleman Scripts

The Rifleman forum posts from 2015 and prior.
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Re: The Rifleman Scripts

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 17, 2017 7:16 pm

cowgirl:49426 wrote:
Cowgirl, I remember reading a while back that Peckinpah named the Dunlap Ranch and Northfork after places he grew up around in California, correct?
Ya' know I too remember hearing this and might have even posted it.  Sam Peckinpah did do this.  I was referring to Arthur Gardner's book 'The Badger Kid.'

This is a quote from his book.....

The name Merar was Arthur Gardner's (producer) grandparents on his mother's side, they lived in Marinette, Wisconsin.  Arthur would insert the names of his relatives into the scripts.  His cousins would go to see Arthur's movies because they knew that their names would pop up.  If you watch McQ, you will find that John Wayne makes a reference to Dr. Merar.  (Arthur's grandfather was an optometrist, Dr. Merar.)  
Also, I was looking at some pics last night of Chuck's estate sale in July 1994, I believe. Were you aware of it at the time, was it announced to the public? It looked like it was organized well in his home, what a huge treat it would have been.
I do have all the information from Chuck's estate sale in 1994 with pictures.  Also some notes to C. B. Charles who handled the auction,  from Rosie.  

http://www.riflemanconnors.com/chuck_co ... r_sale.htm

There was a lot of stuff.  I even have pictures of Charles holding Chuck's rifle and setting in his chair.  I did have this posted somewhere, but I don't remember where.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 17, 2017 7:17 pm

Ava:49427 wrote:
Do you guys still want me to keep posting these?
Yes, I enjoy seeing how the scripts read and comparing them to the finished episode.
Quote:
Cowgirl, Would this be the script that Chuck read when he was considering the Lucas McCain role? Not the same physical script, but the same wording.

I don't really know for sure, but I would say it was.
Thanks for telling us this, Cowgirl. I was trying to get an idea of the script Chuck read that grabbed his interest and caused him to want the role so much. According to Arthur Gardner in his interview included on the LGL TR DVD set, Chuck's agent wanted him to concentrate on movies, not take a TV series. So far from your script postings, the main change between the script Chuck first read and the finished episode is the name change from John to Lucas. I like the name Lucas and wonder if the name had any effect on the show's popularity?

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 17, 2017 7:18 pm

cowgirl:49428 wrote:
I like the name Lucas and wonder if the name had any effect on the show's popularity?
According to some of my emails, there were a lot of kids named Lucas & Micah, and Mark.  Even the local Jewler named his one son after Mark.

Not sure how many of you have read the story about "My Little Man' - my statue of Chuck Connors that was Rosie's.

The story is almost half way down the page,  Here is the link.....

http://www.riflemanconnors.com/writers_ ... tories.htm

Ya' know I forget about some of these things until someone ask me about them.

I did find my info on Chuck's estate, if you want I can post some of the pictures & info.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 17, 2017 7:18 pm

cowgirl:49428 wrote:
I like the name Lucas and wonder if the name had any effect on the show's popularity?
According to some of my emails, there were a lot of kids named Lucas & Micah, and Mark.  Even the local Jeweler named his one son after Mark.

Not sure how many of you have read the story about "My Little Man' - my statue of Chuck Connors that was Rosie's.

The story is almost half way down the page,  Here is the link.....

http://www.riflemanconnors.com/writers_ ... tories.htm

Ya' know I forget about some of these things until someone ask me about them.

I did find my info on Chuck's estate, if you want I can post some of the pictures & info.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 17, 2017 7:19 pm

TVFan:49429 wrote:I'd like to see them, cowgirl!

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

cowgirl:49430 wrote:I'll post some things tomorrow. I'll add some of this stuff to my webpages and post the links here.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Judy:49434 wrote:
cowgirl:49417 wrote:Do you guys still want me to keep posting these?
Yes, I love seeing photos and reading about Chuck during his ‘time off the set’. awesome_yes    
cowgirl:49428 wrote:I did find my info on Chuck's estate, if you want I can post some of the pictures & info.
I would love this! :grin:
cowgirl:49430 wrote:I'll post some things tomorrow. I'll add some of this stuff to my webpages and post the links here.
I am looking forward to seeing these things.  
:q22:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed May 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Rhody:49435 wrote:As I said before, Cowgirl, you are one lucky gal to have so,e of Chuck's personal items!

TV Fan, that makes me happy knowing that Chuck's scripts, awards, notes, etc. were donated to a place that will keep them hopefully for many,  many years for his fans to see and enjoy.  do you know if they are on display?

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

cowgirl:49443 wrote:I will be posting things from time to time about Chuck's real estate auction here.....

---link broken---

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

TVFan:49444 wrote:
Rhody:49435 wrote:TV Fan, that makes me happy knowing that Chuck's scripts, awards, notes, etc. were donated to a place that will keep them hopefully for many,  many years for his fans to see and enjoy.  do you know if they are on display?
Rhody, no they are not on display.  Students, faculty, and researchers can request access to the materials, and I believe it is considered part of the Special Collection that is available to the general public (you'd have to confirm that).  You have to request access because those collections are not stored on site and make an appointment for one of their reading rooms.  

I agree that's it's nice to know everything is being kept and well cared for. Chuck's belongings are certainly in good company:
Members of the Hollywood community, such as directors Robert Wise and George Cukor, agent Stanley Musgrove; composers Dimitri Tiomkin, Alfred Newman, and Maurice Jarre; and actors Clark Gable, Edward G. Robinson, and Burt Lancaster aggressively campaigned to enhance the library's collection of primary resource materials devoted to motion pictures and television. The resulting collections and archives contain the work of almost 300 Hollywood directors, writers, actors and musicians.

Return to “The Rifleman Archives”