Lucas' hands are tied, Mark not a child

The Rifleman forum posts from 2015 and prior.
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Re: Lucas' hands are tied, Mark not a child

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 12:21 pm

TooYoungForRifleman:49938 wrote:
OR maybe we could write the canon of the Rifleman!
Doesn't canon refer to how the show (or movie or book or what have you) was originally written?  Sure, there were plenty of continuity issues (speaking of Waste...Mark was three when his mother died huh?  Because I seem to remember a season 1 episode, when Mark was ten, that Lucas said it had been for years...try 3x2!)...but wouldn't the way the original TR was written be considered the canon?
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 12:21 pm

jccc:49939 wrote:Honestly, I think it's a toss up as to which "fix" was worse: Vaqueros or Waste. Emotionally, though, Vaqueros was much worse for Mark.

It would be awesome if we fans would set the "rules" for the characters of the show's new run. You know, in regards to their past, what happened during what year or what location and it wouldn't get changed after it was set. Then as the new series would go on, and we learned more about the characters, and also noteworthy events occurred--this would get added to what the writers would have to abide by. Also, if their story was directly related to one or some of these details on the sheet, they would have to conform to the details of what already occurred before.

Who knows how many of the details from the original series will get transferred to the new.

Two great inconsistencies were exactly what division was Lucas in during the Civil War, and how old was Mark when Margaret died. These details are important! As fans, we pay attention to this stuff! It would have been great if the writers would have been given an information sheet with the following listed: this is the characters' past, this is where they've been, this is what they know and this is what they don't know.

I don't think the fact that it originally aired just once a week is enough of an excuse to allow these details to change.  I do hope the new series pays more attention to these details.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 12:22 pm

markisddg:49945 wrote:I think the discussion started about why Mark defied Lucas and would not leave them for any reason. In the other episodes Mark dutifully knew he had to go get help especially in Ordeal. He knew that Lucas couldn't walk and if Mark could get help it would be better for Lucas.

Anyway when Waste starts they are all pretty well lost. Even Micah apologizes for taking them into old Mexico. So when Lucas wants to send Mark for help how the heck can he get help if he doesn't know where to go. Lucas mentions about following the North star and tells him to go right to town and get Judge Hanavan. So am I right in assuming that if it were dark they all could have found their way home? I just thought it was pretty silly sending Mark out into the night for help and barebacked ta boot.  He could help Lucas and Micah a lot more if he stayed, besides we needed Johnny to light the lantern. I loved this episode when it first aired but had to wait until the next week for the conclusion. Hope I didn't have any SPOILERS.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 12:22 pm

jccc:49952 wrote:I was just thinking in broader terms. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything about The Vaqueros, since Skull was after that and Mark didn't resist much when Lucas told him to go get help. Which I completely forgot about until just now.  
markisddg:49945 wrote: So am I right in assuming that if it were dark they all could have found their way home?
I thought maybe Lucas told Mark that Micah was too injured to travel. Even though I agree that he was more useful to Lucas by staying. Lucas must not have thought of needing Mark to light the lamp yet when he tried to send Mark for help.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Duchess McCain:49956 wrote:
Doesn't canon refer to how the show (or movie or book or what have you) was originally written?  Sure, there were plenty of continuity issues (speaking of Waste...Mark was three when his mother died huh?  Because I seem to remember a season 1 episode, when Mark was ten, that Lucas said it had been for years...try 3x2!)...but wouldn't the way the original TR was written be considered the canon?
Well yes. . . but there is a thing which people call "headcanon."  It's extra details that either a) explain things better or b) make more sense than what was in the series so people add it to their "head cannon."  Only instead of each of us having our own head cannon we could smooth out the lumps and have a story that followed the original episodes expect it follows and has better character development.

Return to “The Rifleman Archives”