Boomerang

The Rifleman forum posts from 2015 and prior.
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Re: Boomerang

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 12:58 pm

TooYoungForRifleman:50305 wrote:
I'm still curious about why Tim thought that John Hamilton even knew how to use any weapon, let alone a rifle. John was from back east and as was ultimately stated, Lucas taught him how to use the rifle.
Not sure he gave a rip.  Remember when John put the rifle down and said he wasn't fighting?  Tim said he was backing up into the street and once in the middle would shoot and John better be ready.  I figure had Lucas not come in at that moment, he'd have shot John if John just stood there.  I imagine that in his mind, he provided John a weapon and gave him ample warning, so probably would have considered that a fair fight.  I could see him saying "hey, I warned him.  I gave him a gun.  He chose to put it down and stand there knowing I'd shoot when I'd backed up into the street".
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Western Gal:50306 wrote:And that would have been murder and he'd have been hung for it.

Tim, being young and inexperienced, probably thought he could provoke John into a fight, otherwise why give him a gun at all ? Just bushwhack him somewhere !

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

TooYoungForRifleman:50331 wrote:Yeah, I thought about the murder thing, but when I was typing my post I was very pressed for time (while I was typing my mom called to let me know she was in my apartment parking lot to pick me up), so I had to just get to an end point for the post.  

But I was thinking that that probably wouldn't have been considered a legal gunfight.  

Still, in his state of mind, and being young and inexperienced, I wonder if he'd have thought of all that?  That it wouldn't be a legal fight, would have been murder, and he'd probably be hung?

I do agree he likely figured he could provoke John into a fight.  When he said he was backing up into the street and would shoot when he got to the middle, he probably fully expected John to pick the rifle back up and draw.  

And you're right, if he didn't think he could provoke John, why not just bushwhack him somewhere?  

But I do wonder...hypothetically, had Lucas not inserted himself at that moment, and John made no move to pick up the gun, in Tim's state of mind, just what would he have done when he got out into the middle of the street?  Shot without a thought to the consequences?  Made further attempts to provoke John?  Give up and walk away (somehow I don't see that...he was acting all Mr. Tough Guy, I can't see him suddenly switching gears and doing something that would make him look like a coward)?

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 12:59 pm

ruskin:50335 wrote:In another scenario, John could have very well done what Lucas did to Simon Lee Jr and just shot the weapon out of his hand without killing him. That would have ended it right there whether Lucas was there or not.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 12:59 pm

markisddg:50337 wrote:John Hamilton would have been smart if he carried a gun at all times in the bank....case in point: that guy I think his name is Gray in Man from Salinas. He walks into the bank just at closing and manages to get all the money. John Hamilton has to gesture to Lucas to stop the robber. If Hamilton had a gun he could shoot him himself.

Return to “The Rifleman Archives”