The Blowout climax

The Rifleman forum posts from 2015 and prior.
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

The Blowout climax

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 1:20 pm

TooYoungForRifleman:50482 wrote:Something I've thought of for a while...

In The Blowout, after Lucas and Ben Waller lock Al Walker in the cell (which Lucas said needed to be done to keep the Porters from getting to him), the Porters issue an ultimatum.  Turn Al Walker over to him within two minutes or they'll burn him out along with the rest of the town.  

Lucas, who put Al in jail for his protection and that of innocent bystanders who could get hurt were there to be a gunfight, told Ben to release him as he had a right to defend himself.  

And we all know what follows.  A fire.  A gunfight.  Al's death by not-so-natural causes.  

So when the ultimatum was issued, why would Lucas not grab his rifle and deal with the perps before anything got started?  They were threatening many lives, so I would guess Lucas would have been in the right if he shot them before they had the chance to start the fire.  To remove any possible doubt he could have waited and watched and only when they were about to light the fire, then shoot.  

Would have prevented the fire, would have let Al Walker have his natural death in Doc Burrage's office, and, it would have saved Doc Burrage the ethical dilemma of being asked to fudge the death certificate so his family could believe he died by natural causes.  

Speaking of which, since he thought of his family and wanted for their sake to die of natural causes...well if Doc Burrage agreed to write that on the death cert...well, what if his family wanted to come to claim his body (I'm presuming this to be a possibility since, for their sake, he did not want to die in a gunfight and be buried on some boothill...presumably he knew or thought his family would want to be in charge of his burial)?  They're going to wonder about death by natural causes if they see that rather unnatural looking hole in him...

Of course, how long they would hold him above ground for his family to collect him I'm not sure.  Without embalming or even refrigeration, I doubt it would take particularly long for things to get rather odorous.  Western Gal, didn't you and I have a conversation once about delays in burial that would lead to some olfactory displeasure?  My understanding of things back then is that it was much preferred to get a corpse underground ASAP, though in some cases there was a delay...one reason probably being family wanting to come collect the body.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Blowout climax

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 1:20 pm

Howard:50484 wrote:The only way you can enjoy these shows, is to not overthink them..

Remember, they were shown at a time where they never dreamed
that people would see an episode 100 times.

There are so many times where Lucas does things with his rifle
that could not happen.. but you have to let them slide.
Like so often he cocks the rifle, and nothing happens.
A second later, he is in machine gun mode... without ever turning
the little screw on the lever... Not to mention how many times he
shoots 300 rounds off, without reloading..  :roll:
If most of these scenarios were played out, in reality,
the show would have only had to be 8 minutes long.
And would not have been very exciting..

Dan

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 1:21 pm

TooYoungForRifleman:50485 wrote:LOL, the overthinking (I like to call it, analyzing  :smile: ) is precisely what I like about TR.  I like it that they never dreamed someone would see it 100 times.  Had they figured that, or figured that 50 years later there'd still be people watching it and there'd be this thing called the internet that allows people to get together remotely and talk about it, there probably wouldn't be quite so much for me to analyze.  

Granted, you are right some things must slide, like all Lucas does with that rifle.  Without some suspension of disbelief (example, in Sidewinder when Lucas lights the matches with the rifle and Gridley puts them out with his gun), one runs the risk of detracting from the enjoyment.  Unless, I suppose, one likes to analyze the realistics of the ballistics.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 1:21 pm

markisddg:50487 wrote:Speaking of Sidewinder....I thought that whole match lighting trick was nifty but I wouldn't have wanted to be the owner of that establishment they're shooting into. Even if they cleared the streets they are shooting into a business. How could Micah allow that and not allow a gun fight like in A Sporting Chance or Conflict?

I thought it was actually lame in None So Blind when Mark and Fay are waiting around the corner for Mac and when Lucas is about to walk by Mark turns his head into the alley. Why? When Micah walks down the boardwalk he never once looks to see what Mark and Fay are up to. I thought a lawman is always vigilant.

Return to “The Rifleman Archives”