Secrecy of Wyoming Story

The Rifleman forum posts from 2015 and prior.
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Secrecy of Wyoming Story

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 1:27 pm

TooYoungForRifleman:50560 wrote:I finally got to watch Wyoming Story for the first time today on MeTV.  Both episodes.  

A couple times (I think once in each episode if I'm not mistaken), Millie implored Micah to tell at least Mark what Lucas was up to.  The second time, Micah did tell her he had a job to get enough money to start over.  When she questioned him on that, he said that information could endanger Lucas' life, and to forget he said anything.  In fact before Lucas left Micah told him not to even tell Mark where he was going.  

Why all the secrecy?  Okay, so he's going to Wyoming to work undercover.  I get that.  But to not even tell Mark?  I mean, he's not gonna run to the telegraph office and wire wyoming and tip anybody there off.  Millie wouldn't either.  And if they were told in a private place and told to keep their lips zipped about it...not sure how Lucas' life could be placed in jeopardy.  Lucas had more trouble from the town drunk finding Micah's note.  

I'm thinking knowing, at the very least, that Lucas had taken a temporary job to get money to start over would have spared him much anguish.  

Oh, by the way, how the heck did Lucas have a wanted poster out on him?  Seems like he lived in Oklahoma at one time (with Margaret?), but I can't imagine him doing anything that would get him wanted for it several years later.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Secrecy of Wyoming Story

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 1:27 pm

Gloria Fortner:50564 wrote:This has been discussed somewhere before on here, and nobody could figure out what the big secret was.  Maybe if Mark was told, there wouldn't have been any need for him to anguish and loose faith in Lucas.  The show would have been entirely different, but the way it was made no sense.  I think the wanted poster was made up just for Lucas to get that job.  What I don't understand is "did someone in North Fork print it up for Micah to mail the marshal in Wyoming, or where was it printed up?  Also, wouldn't they have told?"  Also if you check the bloopers page, this episode had lots.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 1:28 pm

TooYoungForRifleman:50571 wrote:Yeah, if I recall Lucas told Mark he was...I can't think of his wording right now, I should be checking Cowgirl's episode guide version...either that or I should take a nap.  But I think he said something like he was going in search of...something new?  Something to that effect?  It seemed worded in such a way that, after a two month absence it would be reasonable that someone who is barely even a teenager might get the impression that hey, he found something better than the cattleless North Fork and just moved on with his life.  And Lucas' comment about Mark looking after the ranch, and when Mark questioned how he'd do that when he was with Millie, he said "you know what I mean" but Mark said he didn't...well maybe Mark figured now he knew what his Pa meant.  Lucas was leaving and, like Mark pointed out with the sign, the ranch was half his to start.  He probably figured Lucas was passing the buck.  

Lucas usually tries to frame difficult things in a way so as to leave Mark with some sense of security.  But the way this was framed to Mark, well it just seemed to BEG insecurity.  Had Mark been told "hey, I'm taking a temporary job to get some money to start over and then I'll be back, I can't say more until I get back but I'll be back, and this may take some time", Mark certainly would have missed him, but probably wouldn't have been so insecure.  

Good point about the wanted poster.  And come to think of it, how the heck could Micah risk telegraphing his high recommendation of Lucas to Wyoming (or would he have used what we now call snail mail, which probably would have been safer?  I would have tought he'd have wired it for the sake of getting it there as soon as possible)?  I mean, what if the telegraph officer was friends with McKee or something?  Seems that's more of a risk than telling Mark at least some of what's really going on.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Western Gal:50573 wrote:
TooYoungForRifleman:50571 wrote:And come to think of it, how the heck could Micah risk telegraphing his high recommendation of Lucas to Wyoming (or would he have used what we now call snail mail, which probably would have been safer?  I would have thought he'd have wired it for the sake of getting it there as soon as possible)?  I mean, what if the telegraph officer was friends with McKee or something?  Seems that's more of a risk than telling Mark at least some of what's really going on.
Micah had sent a letter recommending Lucas to the marshal in Wyoming, via "snail mail" so the wanted poster could have been sent with that. Remember Finney found the letter in the marshal's drawer and tried to tell McKee, but he wouldn't listen ?

Going to check out the bloopers page !

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Western Gal:50574 wrote:After reading the bloopers page, saw where it was noted that the wanted poster didn't have any folds in the close-up scene, the way the letter did.

In stretching my limited imagination, suppose Micah sent the wanted poster separately along with a few other wanted posters to the Wyoming marshal ? In all other westerns that I remember, wanted posters arrived in flat packages and only had folds when someone had been carrying them around looking for the person on the poster. Of course this doesn't explain why what Finney handed the marshal, and what the marshal put down, did have a fold(s) in it, which was also pointed out in the blooper section.

The poster itself was rather elaborate for it's time also. Actual pictures were rarely included on wanted posters back then, let alone such a nice close-up of the wanted man. Did anyone notice the tiny hands on the poster with a finger pointed towards Lucas's alias ?

Guess some of the unexplained portions of this story can be attributed to our government at work since this was federally sponsored assignment ! :wink:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

TVFan:50576 wrote:
The poster itself was rather elaborate for it's time also. Actual pictures were rarely included on wanted posters back then, let alone such a nice close-up of the wanted man.
I've read that before.  It's funny that movies/tv shows have completely shaped how we expect Wanted posters to look with the nice clear photos.

These episodes definitely don't stand up to much scrutiny.  Mark was certainly a blabbermouth, but Lucas could have said, "Hey, I'm off to the Dakotas to find work and bring home some cheap cattle to start over with.  I'll be back in a couple of months if not sooner.", and then the poor kid wouldn't have thought his father abandoned him.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Western Gal:50578 wrote:
TVFan:50576 wrote:These episodes definitely don't stand up to much scrutiny.  Mark was certainly a blabbermouth, but Lucas could have said, "Hey, I'm off to the Dakotas to find work and bring home some cheap cattle to start over with.  I'll be back in a couple of months if not sooner.", and then the poor kid wouldn't have thought his father abandoned him.
I've been trying to come up with a somewhat reasonable theory on all the secrecy between Lucas and Mark. Best I could do so far, is that Lucas did not know how long he was going to be gone and also knew he wouldn't be able to have any contact with Mark during that time. Would think typically if Lucas was going to be separated from Mark for months at a time, he'd write or telegraph to let him know he was okay and how things were going. In this instance, he couldn't do that.

Although seems like he could have told Mark they'd be out of touch while he was gone, looking around, and not to worry......just shot down my own theory ! :roll:

Also, considering how many times Lucas took off to pursue the bad guys when Mark was younger and just left him wherever they were at the time, Mark seemed to take his father leaving rather hard given his age in this episode.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 1:30 pm

TooYoungForRifleman:50579 wrote:Are you thinking of Angry Gun WG?  Yeah, he went off after the perps, sans rifle, with instructions for the stage coach driver to take Mark to Mrs. Peterson.  Mark at age 10 knew he could die without his rifle, and no doubt heard the drivers "it's your funeral" comment.  And Lucas came back.  

In this case though, Mark didn't seem worried that Lucas might get himself killed.  I wouldn't be surprised if that had crossed his mind...after all, his father *was* Lucas McCain, and Lucas McCain, while not out looking for trouble, seemed to be a magnet for it.  In this case though, the overriding concern seemed to be that Lucas just decided to pick up and leave everything behind, including his own son.  

The only thing that allows me to see Mark thinking that was halfway feasible is that he was still young and from what he was told, coupled with the long absence, might get to thinking that.  But other than that, I can't think of a time Mark ever doubted his Pa...oh he was afraid for Lucas' life plenty of times.  But I don't recall, and I've still yet to see all episodes, any other time he believed that Lucas would willingly abandon him.  

I get the no contact thing during the job, but why not telegraph home when it was over?  Hi Micah, hi Millie, hi Mark, I'm just about to ride out and head home...see you in xxx days...that kind of thing.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Western Gal:50581 wrote:Angry Gun is one, but what about Sharpshooter and Home Ranch ? Lucas was always taking off on his own and/or risking his life.

Was not looking at this from an abandonment/lack of trust perspective until you and TVFan mentioned it. Perhaps because this story involved such a long absence it brought out different emotions in Mark ? Probably need to think on it some more.

If you look again at Home Ranch and what Lucas did, Mark seemed to have complete faith and trust in his Pa, and yet what would he have done if Lucas hadn't returned ?

As for Lucas contacting Mark and/or Micah as soon as things were settled in Wyoming, think that was brought up in the previous discussion of this story and I'm not sure anyone could come up with a good reason.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Howard:50582 wrote:You know Superman really couldn't fly, right?

Everything on these 50's shows, didn't always make
perfect sense.

Remember. They were pumping out >35 shows a year
back then. Not a ton of time to come up with ideas/scripts.
It's entertainment.... then, and still.

Dan

Return to “The Rifleman Archives”