Ammunition

The Rifleman forum posts from 2015 and prior.
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Ammunition

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 1:40 pm

TooYoungForRifleman:50464 wrote:A post in the trivia thread about fires reminded me of a question that had been on my mind before but I never asked.  

Obviously, for the sake of filming without people getting hurt, they would use blanks at least in gunfights (while characters were supposed to get hurt or killed...their actors were not).  So I'm not necessarily talking about the filming aspect.  

But there were times when warning shots were fired or shots to get attention.  I'm thinking of Promoter, when Lucas and Reuben are fighting in the street, Micah stops it by firing into the air.  

Obviously, as I said above, for the sake of filming it would have been a blank.  But in a real life scenario back then, would it have been a blank?  Or would Micah have shot a live bullet into the air?  And if it would have been a live bullet, would he have shot in the air or at something (I'm thinking of the concept of "what goes up must come back down" and wanting to prevent a bullet fired into the air from coming down on some random innocent bystander, but I'm not sure how much of a consideration that would have been in the old west)?

Thanks Western Gal...bet you never thought when you mentioned live ammunition in the trivia thread that that would induce me to start another thread, huh?
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ammunition

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 1:41 pm

Western Gal:50467 wrote:
TooYoungForRifleman:50464 wrote:Thanks Western Gal...bet you never thought when you mentioned live ammunition in the trivia thread that that would induce me to start another thread, huh?
You are welcome TYFR, and no, I didn't !

Interesting question though. Did they have "blanks" back then and if so, for what purpose ?

Blanks can kill if not handled properly. Actors Jon-Erik Hexum and Brandon Lee both died as a result of being shot on the set with blank ammunition.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

markisddg:50471 wrote:Micah often shot up into the air to stop a gun fight or a brawl like in Shivaree.  I would be positive he was shooting live ammunition if it was 1886 but of course blanks being it was a set. I guess a blank can still contain a projectile and if close enough to the body can cause injury or death.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

TooYoungForRifleman:50475 wrote:WG,
I looked up blanks trying to figure out the history of them (i.e. would they have been around back then).  Didn't find when they first came around, but did read about the accidental deaths you mentioned.  I just read about Jon-Erik Hexum and it seemed he suffered what would turn out a fatal case of boredom.  Don't play with guns, folks, even if it just has blanks.  

Markisddg,
Now your post got me thinking.  Actually this is something I'd been thinking, but your post gave me the nudge to bring this up, much like WG's post in the fire trivia thread nudged me to start this thread...

Since being a set, they were firing blanks, how did they sometimes get bullet holes to appear in things being shot at?  Or whiskey bottles to shatter?  Like in The Most Amazing Man, somehow they had to get water to come out.  

Were there situations where live ammo would have been used on set, such as where damage/bullet holes are needed?  I can't see that happening, as the actor could inadvertently miss the target and someone gets hurt or worse.  But I wonder how they have holes appear in things or bottles shatter when shot, if they're using blanks?

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 1:42 pm

Western Gal:50476 wrote:Holes could have been created in advance, plugged, the water tower, or a small portion of it, filled with water and then the plugs pulled out just as the "shots" were fired.

There is probably some trick way to do the bottles as well. If they were made of real glass, then there should have been a concern about people being cut with flying glass when the target was hit.

I remember hearing about some type of trick wood used to make chairs, tables, etc. Sounded like more of a breakable plastic so that when someone was hit with a chair, it would break apart as though it was real wood, but was so lightweight it would not cause any injuries if done properly.

There are probably millions of tricks of the trade to making TV/movie action look as real as possible.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

TooYoungForRifleman:50477 wrote:Just did some googling, and I think Wikipedia has the answer as to the glass bottles or any other glass object that needs to be shot/broken in some way...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_glass

The thought running through my mind when I read this article, particularly the part where it says it's called edible glass, was, if this is what was used on the Rifleman set, and if Johnny Crawford shared Mark's sweet tooth, I wonder how many times they had to remind him not to eat the windows!   :lol:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Howard:50483 wrote:
TooYoungForRifleman:50464 wrote:
Obviously, as I said above, for the sake of filming it would have been a blank.  But in a real life scenario back then, would it have been a blank??
Absolutely not. No one would ever carry a gun with blanks..
Why would you ever want to? Remember, a gun is worn for self defense,
not for trying to scare people..
Someone committing a crime isn't going to not shoot at you
because you fired a blank round...

As for the bullet landing, if it is held at any sort of angle at all,
that bullet will land a long way from Northfork.. The chance of it hitting
someone would be longer odds than winning Powerball!

Dan

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

markisddg:50488 wrote:Speaking of fake bottles getting shot up. I don't know how they broke all those bottles behind the bar when someone shot at them with a gun like in Guilty Conscience when Lucas went to Stud City, but in Bloodlines when Buddy Hackett is holding that bottle and chugging that "good drinking whiskey" all of a sudden that bottle changed and it explodes right in front of his face. Wonder how they did that without injury. It looked like it was just shot out of his hand.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 1:43 pm

Charlene F.:50494 wrote:I remember hearing how they made bottles, glass etc years ago, maybe it's this stuff: Sugar Glass

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_glass

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 1:43 pm

Charlene F.:50495 wrote:oops! sorry!  I didn't see post above re sugar glass!  :roll:

Return to “The Rifleman Archives”