What Episode Do You Dislike

The Rifleman forum posts from 2015 and prior.
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Re: What Episode Do You Dislike

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 6:56 pm

markisddg:49468 wrote:That was a good scene. I have a question though. In The Coward everyone seems to think that rifle that George had on Buddy was not loaded. I think it was loaded.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

westpoint64:49472 wrote:
markisddg:43958 wrote:Yes if you watch a few episodes with Royal you will start to hear that really sad music that comes on when he's at a very vulnerable moment..like in Matter of Faith in the saloon when Mr. Jonas has to explain how he can find water.

Like it says in the Book, ‘His spirits on the face of the waters’.  He's everywhere so the water’s gotta be everywhere - just so you believe."

Now, I have to admit that I thought this man was a little crazy!  But I felt sorry for him.  I offered to buy him a drink.  He seemed offended by this though.

It's very sad and we've heard it before but they often play it for Royal...also I think we hear it in Honest Abe and Sheridan Story. Maybe even in Day of Reckoning. He always seems to play a sad person even though in Sheridan Story he's feisty.[/quote

I know exactly the music cue you're talking about...they used it a lot beginning with "The Sheridan Story" and throughout Season 2. There's the sad notes with the violins and the woodwind instrument, then that off-center dramatic note that's a little dissonant and there to create a sort of tension. If you listen to the cues after 1960, you'll hear a few opening notes, but they cut out the long, sad section with the violins and the tense closing. That's a shame. I would've liked to hear the "Royal Dano/Sheridan Story" full theme when Tip Corey was talking at his father's grave. I think the full cue would've been great right there and fit the action well. Maybe when I get to heaven, I'll stop by and see Herschel Burke Gilbert and ask him why they stopped using the long sad section! :lol:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

westpoint64:49473 wrote:
Ronny G:49411 wrote:I just watched The Coward on Me-TV yesterday. Did not care for this one at all. The character Georgie Boy was such a wimp that it was just so frustrating for me to watch him as he took that abuse from those bullies. And what's up with the bullies? Didn't they have anything better to do with their time than to bully Georgie Boy? I also didn't like the simple plot and the pace of the story. The abuse just went on and on and on for about 20 minutes, and then the story was finally resolved in the last 5 minutes. By the end of the story, Georgie Boy stands up to the bullies, but --for me--it was too little too late.
In the episode, they made it clear that Collins had lived a rather meek, sheltered life back east. He had no experience in dealing with a sick, mean, psychopathic, homicidal sadist like Buddy Link. What could he have done? Run away? He had no money and no way to get around. Fight back? He didn't have the experience and confidence to take on Link, and even if he had done so and been able to overpower Link, Link would have simply called in his friends the way he did with Lucas. There was simply no way that George Collins could've competed with Buddy Link on even terms. Link would've always seen to it that he would be the victor, no matter what.  I don't know if I'd call Georgie a "wimp". He was simply a passive, sensetive, and naive person (almost a proto-John Boy Walton) who never been in the West before and didn't have any training or experience in how to respond to violence. He didn't have the time (and probably not the inclination) to learn any self-defense techniques. Therefore, I've gotta cut him some slack.

Collins coped with Link the only way he knew how to: shamed submission and body language that looked like he hoped they'd be merciful and stop beating him.

About your question, "Didn't they have anything better to do with their time than to Bully Georgie Boy?"  If you recall, the bullies were working the same cattle drive Collins was on. The bullies may have had a break in working the herd or might have even finished their job when they drifted into North Fork. And the time span represented between the beginning and end of the episode was not that long.
Link was the leader of the bad guys...the alpha dog? Only he was short and insecure. I could very well see him and his gang following Collins to North Fork so Link could continue to have his satisfaction at Collins' expense. Link had an almost compulsive need to keep proving his toughness to his peers through acts of sadism. And being that Link was small himself, who else could he have found on such short notice to torment? Eveybody else in town (except Sweeney the Bartender) was pretty tough, and bigger. Also, messing with the townsfolk could've posed problems with relatives and the law. Georgie Boy came west with no one to take up for him...at least, until Lucas comes along.
Finally, the reason why it took so long for Collins to stand up for himself was that in every situation up to the end, he was outnumbered and surrounded. Only when Collins was off at a distance and away from the distracted bad guys did he have a possible chance to do anything to confront Link. Like Mark and Lucas, I thought Georgie Boy was brave in the end, especially since he did not have a shotshell in the barrel of the gun he was pointing at Link. If anybody's the wimp and the "Coward" in that episode, it's Link, which is borne out in the closing.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 6:57 pm

cowgirl:49487 wrote:
I would've liked to hear the "Royal Dano/Sheridan Story" full theme

I am really interested in the themes from "The Rifleman". John Gilbert & I had talked about some of these before.  We had talked about what I call the 'bouncy music.'  I love that theme, it is so upbeat.  Example: 'The Illustrator.'  But you can hear this in several other episodes.

Another theme John and I had talked about was 'Mark's theme.'  I love this theme, I think it is beautiful!

http://www.riflemanconnors.com/bloopers ... _hunt3.htm
(please give this theme time to load - it is well worth the wait!)

I can see why themes with Royal Dano would be on a sad note.  He usually plays a sad person, a person you can fill sorry for.  Everybody loves the underdog.

John and I had talked about different themes; there is even a theme for 'Lou."  I wonder what the theme for Milly sounds like.  I think I'll have to check out 'Milly's Brother' and listen to the theme when she & Harry Chase are together and them when Lucas kisses Milly.

There are so many themes, hmmmmm, I can't help but wonder how many.  I guess I'll have to ask John.

I'll have to watch 'The Coward' and listen to the theme that is played there.

westpoint64, I love music, but I don't know one note from the other.
full theme when Tip Corey was talking at his father's grave. I think the full cue would've been great right there and fit the action well.
That is a good point!  That certainly would have set the scene even more.
Maybe when I get to heaven, I'll stop by and see Herschel Burke Gilbert and ask him why they stopped using the long sad section!

It is sad that a lot of this information is lost.  So many questions and not enough answers.   :sad:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Ronny G:49503 wrote:Westpoint, you make some interesting observations and good points. I will take those into consideration upon my next viewing.

Cowgirl, I will try to focus more on the acting--and not the bullying--next time I view this episode.

On an un-related note, does anyone know why amazon's listing for season one says its unavailable?

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 6:58 pm

cowgirl:49504 wrote:
Cowgirl, I will try to focus more on the acting--and not the bullying--next time I view this episode.

Ronny G., there was nothing wrong with your post.  In fact we got a really good thread out of it.  I think a lot of us learned something from this episode/post.

You are entitled to your opinion, that's what makes this thread such a good one!  Please do not hesitate to comment, we love to hear what you have to say!
On an un-related note, does anyone know why amazon's listing for season one says its unavailable?
I did check this out online/Amazon.  I'll get with LGL and see what's what.  :wink:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

CHUCKED:49505 wrote:
Ronny G:49503 wrote:
Amazon must have exhausted their supply (which speaks volumes, I suppose). It does look like you can still buy from the LGL website.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Howard:49511 wrote:The thing about the way they portrayed "Georgie Boy" that annoyed me,
was that they could have made him not quite as 'numb' and 'cowardly',
yet he still would have been a coward. He was just too extreme to be remotely believable..
e.g., he could have warned Lucasboy, that Buddy was going
to whack him with a bottle. and then he could have got beat down again
after Lucas left. It's just hard to believe, that he could be on a cattle drive,
subjected to all of that abuse, and,
1) never have stood up once, and
2) stayed on the cattle drive that long..
If a coward runs when faced with a bad situation, he would have 'run' from
that job, and Buddy's SMS..
I didn't mind the episode, because of the way Lucas handled Buddy, and the way
Buddy got his just due at the end.
Unfortunately, the Georgie Boy character was my "weakest Link"
in that episode.

Dan

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 6:59 pm

cowgirl:49517 wrote:There was a problem, but LGL is back on Amazon.....

http://www.amazon.com/Rifleman-Official ... n+season+1

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 18, 2017 6:59 pm

Ava:49530 wrote:

Ronny G., there was nothing wrong with your post.  In fact we got a really good thread out of it.  I think a lot of us learned something from this episode/post.

You are entitled to your opinion, that's what makes this thread such a good one!  Please do not hesitate to comment, we love to hear what you have to say!
I agree with Cowgirl, Ronny G. I enjoyed hearing your opinion, and also what everyone else had to say about the episode. Others notice things that I don't, and I like to hear how others feel about what they've seen. I also like how respectful people are of others' opinions.

Return to “The Rifleman Archives”