Lucas & Mark's Theme Songs (Sharpshooter)

The Rifleman forum posts from 2015 and prior.
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Lucas & Mark's Theme Songs (Sharpshooter)

Post by cowgirl » Fri May 19, 2017 8:51 am

Shilohbloo:50880 wrote:Well, I may be on the slow boat, but just realized that "The Sharpshooter" smiley_hunting starts off with as much sweetness as it ends, where in the introduction scene as Lucas and Mark come riding down, both of their theme songs are intermixed within each other. So very pretty... and incredibly cool!! smiley_poorme ImageImage smiley_poorme

"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lucas & Mark's Theme Songs (Sharpshooter)

Post by cowgirl » Fri May 19, 2017 8:52 am

Duchess McCain:50884 wrote:It's neat to see what was done with theme songs back then.  I know that in shows like Bonanza there were themes given to certain people that only appeared in one episode and that is the only place in the show you will hear that theme.  

Also I remember the first time I was watching Wagon Train and saw that John Williams (composer for Star Wars, Jaws, Indiana Jones, ET, the Cowboys, and many, many more!) wrote the music for that episode.
awesome_jawdrop

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Fri May 19, 2017 8:52 am

Shilohbloo:50887 wrote:
Duchess McCain:50884 wrote:It's neat to see what was done with theme songs back then.  I know that in shows like Bonanza there were themes given to certain people that only appeared in one episode and that is the only place in the show you will hear that theme.  

Also I remember the first time I was watching Wagon Train and saw that John Williams (composer for Star Wars, Jaws, Indiana Jones, ET, the Cowboys, and many, many more!) wrote the music for that episode.
awesome_jawdrop
I had never really paid attention to characters having their very own theme songs before. The revelation has opened up a whole new world for me... Now, whenever I watch an old program I will keep my ears wide open for the possibility! :)  smiley_poorme

(I say "old program" because I rarely watch any modern t.v. anymore - SO disappointing! - and I somehow doubt that the gift of character theme songs have translated into 21st century. *sigh*)

smiley_poorme

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Fri May 19, 2017 8:53 am

cowgirl:50897 wrote:
I had never really paid attention to characters having their very own theme songs before.
A good example of this is from End of the Hunt - Mark's theme.

http://www.riflemanconnors.com/bloopers ... _hunt3.htm

John Gilbert sent this to us, he is the son of Herschel Burke Gilbert.

I know this plays in IE, not sure about the other browsers.

Have you seen the lyrics to The Rifleman?

http://www.riflemanconnors.com/hbg-riflemanlyrics.htm

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shilohbloo:50899 wrote:
cowgirl:50897 wrote:
I had never really paid attention to characters having their very own theme songs before.
A good example of this is from End of the Hunt - Mark's theme.

http://www.riflemanconnors.com/bloopers ... _hunt3.htm

John Gilbert sent this to us, he is the son of Herschel Burke Gilbert.

I know this plays in IE, not sure about the other browsers.
It is so very pretty, isn't it? There really are some hidden gems in Season 5. smiley_grouphug

cowgirl:50897 wrote:Have you seen the lyrics to The Rifleman?

http://www.riflemanconnors.com/hbg-riflemanlyrics.htm
Very cool! Love this!!  :smile:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

cowgirl:50906 wrote:Mark's theme, to me is like you said, pretty.  I find it soothing, peaceful.   :wink:
There really are some hidden gems in Season 5.
Yes there is!  John said there were pictures to each of the themes.  I honestly don't know how many themes there are.

I wonder what Lucas' theme sounds like.  Maybe I could ask John.   :wink:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Fri May 19, 2017 8:54 am

Shilohbloo:50916 wrote:
cowgirl:50906 wrote:Mark's theme, to me is like you said, pretty.  I find it soothing, peaceful.   :wink:
There really are some hidden gems in Season 5.
Yes there is!  John said there were pictures to each of the themes.  I honestly don't know how many themes there are.

I wonder what Lucas' theme sounds like.  Maybe I could ask John.   :wink:
Oh please do! I just love becoming aware of all the little this'-n-thats' that originally eluded me. All of it helps to bring about a renewed appreciation and enjoyment to the whole of it. angel1::  smiley_whistling  smiley_poorme  smiley_serenade.gif

Image    Image

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

cowgirl:50938 wrote:I did hear back from John and here is what he had to say.....

The only themes identifying characters are those for Mark and Lou as you indicate.  Everything else is variation on those two themes.  There is no theme identifying Lucas per se although there are themes such as McCain's Chase, McCain's Fast Ride, McCain's Question, McCain's Walk and McCain and Son once again, variations.  But one could also associate the main title with Lucas as well although it's used pretty universally throughout the episodes.  And then there's that treasure trove of cues from various films such as The Naked Hills. smiley_whistling

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shilohbloo:50941 wrote:
cowgirl:50938 wrote:I did hear back fron John and here is what he had to say.....

The only themes identifying characters are those for Mark and Lou as you indicate.  Everything else is variation on those two themes.  There is no theme identifying Lucas per se although there are themes such as McCain's Chase, McCain's Fast Ride, McCain's Question, McCain's Walk and McCain and Son once again, variations.  But one could also associate the main title with Lucas as well although it's used pretty universally throughout the episodes.  And then there's that treasure trove of cues from various films such as The Naked Hills. smiley_whistling
Okay, now that really surprises me! I mean Lucas' theme not being specifically Lucas' theme... lol. Well, it always fit to a "T" to me... especially in the very first episode with he and Mark riding up together, as originally specified, with the music intermixing. Whether meaning it or not, that was definitely signifying the two individuals joining as one - father and son - into this new life of theirs. If it was an accident, it sure was a happy one! Ha!! Regardless of the original intent, in my heart, it can't help but always be Lucas' theme!! smiley_whistling

Image     Image

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Fri May 19, 2017 8:55 am

cowgirl:50962 wrote:
especially in the very first episode with he and Mark riding up together, as originally specified, with the music intermixing. Whether meaning it or not, that was definitely signifying the two individuals joining as one - father and son - into this new life of theirs. If it was an accident, it sure was a happy one! Ha!!
I'll have to listen to the theme that is played in that scene.  I wonder if that is the theme to do with McCain and Son once again.

Maybe Lucas didn't have a theme of his own but to me the opening & closing theme are his, especially with the gunshots.  :wink: And we can't forget about the lyrics, although a bit different then our Lucas, to me they are his.  (Except for a great big mountain man.)  :wink:

Return to “The Rifleman Archives”