Great Acting

Front porch 2015 and prior
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Great Acting

Post by wildwest » Mon May 29, 2017 8:44 pm

cowgirl:28003 wrote:Now you’re on my way length here!  Did you know that 'I just love character actors?'  smiley_girllaughing

Gigi Perreau in Heller - she out did herself in this episode!  Perfection!  Whoever wrote & cast this deserved a "Rifleman Award!"  I think we should start giving these out!   :wink: And of course we can't leave out all of these great actors.

Have you seen this article from Look Magazine June 21, 1960 which is on the ranch's website?  Peter Whitney was off for the day & Chuck stood in for him.  Gotta love it!

"The Star Stands In"
http://www.riflemanconnors.com/Heller-stand_in.htm
I just saw Gigi on another western the other night, I think the Virginian.  She was a young mature beautiful woman.  

Billy Hughes Jr.
What a waste!!!!!  Such a great actor!  That role in 'Sidewinder' is just as great as Gigi in 'Heller.'  Can you image waiting for your part to slap Lucas across the face?  I would have been shakin' in my shoes!

What childhood stars we had & such great memories!

Lonny Chapman another great actor!  He is so good at what he does that they put him in 2 episodes with no other actors except the stars!  He is right up there with them.  I have seen Lonny in several other westerns, but if you don’t cast him as a bad guy; well it just doesn't do it for me! smiley_bandit
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon May 29, 2017 8:44 pm

Gloria Fortner:28016 wrote:Lon Chaney in Gun Fire.  

Also, Claude Akins.  He was in The Safe Guard and Meeting at Midnight.  He was such a wonderful character actor and in tons of tv shows and movies.  His Sheriff Lobo series was hilarious.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon May 29, 2017 8:45 pm

markisddg:28040 wrote:Right Lon Chaney, Jr and Claude Akins. He goes way back.

Also John Hoyt was convincing as Maj. Perry in Martinet and also in Three Legged Terror.
I thought Arthur Malet was really funny as Jeremy Pennebroke in Sporting Chance.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon May 29, 2017 8:45 pm

Rhiannon:28081 wrote:Captain Perry, what a trip. I didn't know who he was (John Hoyt) or that he was in Three Legged Terror, either. Thanks for the pictures and info :)

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon May 29, 2017 8:46 pm

markisddg:28090 wrote:Speaking of great character actors was John Anderson in more episodes than any other actor (11)...not counting the regulars like Milly, Nils, Lou and Hattie?

Can you match the character with the episode he played in?

Ely Flack                                       Shotgun Man
Will Temple                                 Day of the Hunter
Sam Gibbs                                    Incident at Line Shack 6
Mr. Gangling                                Journey Back
Hank Clay                                     Old Man Running
Jess Profit                                    The Hawk
John Beaumont                             Face of Yesterday
Cass Callicott                                Mail Order Groom

There are 3 more but I left them out.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Sally:28094 wrote:Ely Flack - The Hawk
Will Temple - Journey Back
Sam Gibbs - Old Man Running
Mr. Gangling - Incident at Line Shack 6
Jess Profit - Mail Order Groom

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Rhiannon:28100 wrote:Cass -Day of The Hunter

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon May 29, 2017 8:47 pm

rooster davis:28134 wrote:
cowgirl:28003 wrote: Billy Hughes Jr.

What a waste!!!!!  Such a great actor!  That role in 'Sidewinder' is just as great as Gigi in 'Heller.'  Can you image waiting for your part to slap Lucas across the face?  I would have been shakin' in my shoes!

What childhood stars we had & such great memories!
Well Billy Hughes appeared three times in Rifleman, all of the roles were really good. Skipping the details, in one, he confronts Lucas about the way he (Lucas) treats his father, powerfully enough to make Lucas realize he is wrong. In another we have the famous crying scene with Mark, and then of course there's the role of Grid Maule. I've seen Billy Hughes in most of his roles and Grid Maule is the one that was perfect for him. They could have made a whole TV show around him but of course it would have gotten idiotic like the ending of Sidewinder.

His best scenes are where he is angry or unhappy or bitter. I suspect he got some of that from issues in his own real life. There's a scene in My Six Loves where he refuses to pray before going to bed and explains to Debbie Reynolds why. Being a film with Debbie Reynolds, and not a bad movie, one can only wonder why it hasn't been seen in ages, if ever, on TV. I wonder if it had anything to do with Billy Hughes accidentally wearing a nice gold ring through most of the movie, while he and his siblings were abandoned and living in a gardener's shed.

I would say he was a good - better than "ok" kid actor, but Grid Maule was the best role he ever played and he was genuinely great. It helped also that he could back up the character with the ability to handle a six gun well.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Rhiannon:28144 wrote:Rooster, what were the 3 Rifleman episodes he was in? I swear I just saw one the other day and wondered if that was him but forgot to check the credits. It sounded like him. Was that really him in was it Long Gun to Tucson or something (may have the title wrong), the one where he and Mark are crying?? So, if that was him, even if I have the title wrong, I know two of them but what was the other one?

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

rooster davis:28151 wrote:
Rhiannon:28144 wrote:Rooster, what were the 3 Rifleman episodes he was in? I swear I just saw one the other day and wondered if that was him but forgot to check the credits. It sounded like him. Was that really him in was it Long Gun to Tucson or something (may have the title wrong), the one where he and Mark are crying?? So, if that was him, even if I have the title wrong, I know two of them but what was the other one?
He was also in "Day of Reckoning", as the son of a new preacher in North Fork. The preacher (Royal Dano) is a former bad guy whom Lucas remembers and hates. He has changed his ways but Lucas always vowed he would kill him. He decides to just ignore him but that is just as bad as far as his son (Billy Hughes) is concerned, and he makes a little impassioned speech to Lucas showing why he is wrong - and gives Lucas something to think about.

Hughes counted Royal Dano among his favorites to work with and said Dano helped him and gave him some advice and pointers on acting. Anyhow, that is the third episode.

Hughes is good in this one also but nothing let him really show his talent like Sidewinder. Still, it's well worth seeing.

Return to “Front Porch Archives”