Stench like an outhouse in August

2014 and prior posts
ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Stench like an outhouse in August

Post by ruskin » Thu May 25, 2017 6:13 am

Michelle P.:28452 wrote:I read that in a book today.  All I can say is EWWWWWWW...I can only imagine that was QUITE a stench!
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Re: Stench like an outhouse in August

Post by ruskin » Thu May 25, 2017 6:14 am

cowgirl:28468 wrote:Oh my!  P U!

Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Thu May 25, 2017 6:14 am

markisddg:29728 wrote:Ok Cowgirl where do you find those photos?
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Thu May 25, 2017 6:15 am

Gloria Fortner:29772 wrote:We had an outhouse when I was growing up and there is nothing that stinks quite as bad except maybe something dead.  Thank the Lord for indoor plumbing.  That and electricity are in my opinion the best inventions ever made. :idea:
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Thu May 25, 2017 6:17 am

markisddg:29784 wrote:OMG Gloria tell us about the outhouse..just like Mark and Lucas but we never saw it except in Squeeze Play when Prescott said to put the kid in the,...ah...ah.....shed.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Thu May 25, 2017 6:18 am

Dianna:29788 wrote:I agree Gloria. We had a outhouse for a while when I was little. Boy, did they stink. And you'd smother in there in the summer and freeze in the winter.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Thu May 25, 2017 6:19 am

winterhawk:29792 wrote:My Grandpa never had indoor plumbing, and he passed away in 1983. Live in that house for 40 years.  The little town didn't vote and pass for a water/sewer system till the 60's.  Very rural.

When we visited, Dad would stop at the gas station to do whatever we had to do before heading to his house.
It seemed like it was a far hike to the outhouse or as Grandpa called it "the shitter."  

Rural Alaska is like that today.  Heading that way in July for Salmon fishing. Will talk further about this in the North Fork Saloon page.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Thu May 25, 2017 6:21 am

markisddg:30388 wrote:Too damn funny.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Thu May 25, 2017 6:21 am

Michelle P.:32570 wrote:My grandparents still had their outhouse up when I was a kid.  My mom was born in 1952, and they used the outhouse.  I'm not sure when they got indoor plumbing, but my mom was one of seven kids and they were quite poor...My mom told me about having to walk her little sisters - twins to the outhouse at bedtime.  It was dark and scary, and the outhouse was quite a ways from the house.  My mom saw a skunk there one night and took off for the house, leaving her little sisters down there to fend for themselves.  It was quite chaotic, the way my Mom talked, and after the twins were settled, my grandpa took care of her...

She said she couldn't sit down for a week after that...

I was quite the tomboy growing up and we'd fish and dig for worms a lot of the days of summer (ah, the memories!)  We'd use the outhouse, and it was quite a stench in summer time (that was only once in a while) and there were plenty of old sears catalogs out there to substitute as toilet paper...

Which reminds me, what did they use back then?  Did they have toilet paper?  Or do I even DARE to ask the question???
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Thu May 25, 2017 6:23 am

winterhawk:32572 wrote:Well to answer that question and one more to boot. Michelle I've been told that green leaves, soaked corn husks and corn cobs where used.  Sometimes the hand was used.  Remember how you where taught to ALWAYS wash your hands after going to the bathroom?  In some cultures the left hand is considered the "dirty" hand and is never to be used to touch and especially in food serving, quite offensive.  

Now to take this one step further.....ever wondered what women used for protection during there monthly?  Ever heard the phrase...."she's on the rag?"  There's your answer, rags.  (sorry to all the men and offended population out there)
Judy (Ruskin)

Return to “Unusual Words, Phrases, or Expressions Archives”