Interview w/ Rooster 8/30/09

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Interview w/ Rooster 8/30/09

Post by Western Gal » Sat May 27, 2017 8:47 pm

Matthew:8947 wrote:This weeks interview is with Rooster. I am excited to share with you what he had to say.

Matthew-  How long have you been a Rifleman Fan?

Rooster-  I first watched Rifleman when I was in high school. It was in reruns, on a local station in the afternoon. I'd catch the last half of the show when I got home but I really wasn't a fan. A few years ago when it came onto Encore Westerns I really started watching it more regularly. I didn't get 'hooked' until I saw the Sidewinder episode, and after that I watched Rifleman all the time.

Matthew-  What is it about The RIfleman that makes you a fan?

Rooster- A few things. The acting and stories are usually good. I really like the time frame when the stories would have taken place. To me that was one of the greatest times to be alive in America, and anything to do with that era captures my imagination.

Matthew - If there was something about The Rifleman that you could change what would that something be?

Rooster- I wish Sam Peckinpah had stayed in charge of the stories. Mark was far too protected from growing up the way someone like him really would have back then.

Matthew-  Which character is your favorite and why?

Rooster- As far as regular characters, they're all great. Johnny C had some really good episodes where he got to show what he could do. I know a lot of people prefer Millie but I'm a big fan of Lou. As far as guest stars, and there were tons of great ones, I have to go with my two favorites - Skip Homeier (The Spoiler) and Billy Hughes (Sidewinder). I like Skip Homeier more for his roles in other shows, but he sure does know how to die when he's been shot! And Billy Hughes (who was in three episodes) was flat out excellent in Sidewinder - not just his acting but his gun handling as well. Those six guns are not easy to handle even with full-sized hands, trust me. He was great.

Matthew- Do you have a least favorite episode? If so which one?

Rooster- There was an episode, I don't know the name of it but it seems to me someone was singing a song in the background throughout. And I was never a fan of the ones where someone happened to show up from Europe or someplace far away and just ended up getting involved with Lucas. He met people from England and Spain and China and who knows where all, and I just don't think that was realistic. Finally, I don't like the last episode, "Old Tony" - sorry people but when Mark got out his guitar and played and sang, I changed the channel! Not that he's bad, it just seemed contrived. I didn't care for that blonde girl who was after him, either.

Thanks for taking the time for an interview. I enjoyed reading what you had to say. :cool:
Western Gal

:cowgirl2:

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Interview w/ Rooster 8/30/09

Post by Western Gal » Sat May 27, 2017 8:48 pm

BluewindFarm:8950 wrote:Great interview Matthew & Rooster.

BTW Rooster, I'm just now realizing you're here in Indiana.  What part?
Western Gal

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Western Gal » Sat May 27, 2017 8:49 pm

rooster davis:9051 wrote:Hi Matthew - I see you're right on time with this week's article. I was glad to be interviewed for this week's column

Bluewind Farm, I'm in NW Indiana, La Porte County.
Western Gal

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Western Gal » Sat May 27, 2017 8:50 pm

BluewindFarm:9077 wrote:Me, I'm smack dab, almost, in the middle of the state.  I'm just a wee bit northwest of Indianapolis.
Western Gal

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Western Gal » Sat May 27, 2017 8:50 pm

chrisb6263:9083 wrote:We have a former friend whose mother-in-law lives in Elwood; We've been down there a couple times - last time about 5 years ago - I enjoyed my visit, and even got a t-shirt from an Elwood coffee shop (now closed).
Western Gal

Return to “'Matthew's Post'”