North Fork Bound 4

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

North Fork Bound 4

Post by Western Gal » Sat May 27, 2017 11:25 pm

Matthew:14019 wrote:“ Well Mark, we are going to stay at the ranch.”

“ We are?” I stood there puzzled. What my Dad was telling me wasn’t sinking in! I almost thought I heard him wrong! “ Can you say that again?” I asked in disbelief.

Dad chuckled “ We are going to stay at the ranch! We have permission to visit and stay the night.”

“Just us?!” I asked

“Just us” Dad replied

“Hurray! I can’t believe it! I just can’t believe it!” I stood there smiling

“ Well Mark, lets not just stand here. Let’s get going!!!”

“ Dad, can we get that apple pie to go?”

Dad laughed and rubbed my head and said I will see what I can do. I’m not sure if North Fork has a to go menu.”

I headed up to our room to pack our bags up and head to the ranch. Dad went to see if we could take our food with us.  

Packing up my suitcase, I felt excited and sad. I was sad that I was leaving Marks favorite room and the town of North Fork. But I was headed to Marks home and I was happy for that!

Dad was waiting at the bottom of the staircase with the food in hand.

“Mark, It wasn’t easy but I manage to get our food to go!”

I smiled, the food was actually the last thing on my mind. The ranch was the first!

Mr. Roush was waiting out front with 2 horses.

“Mr. Roush aren’t you riding out with us?”

“No, I’m sorry I’m not able to make it out to the ranch. I have directions for you to follow.”

“That’s to bad, I was looking forward to hearing some stories about the McCains.”

Mr. Roush replied “ I think you will be able to figure out who the McCain’s were by spending time at the ranch.”

“ Mr. Roush, one more thing. How we supposed to take all of our things with us on these horses?”

Mr. Roush laughed so hard it was sounded like it was straight from his belly!

“ Follow me Mark.” Mr. Roush said

“Where are we going?”

“We are heading to the blacksmith. There we will find the McCain’s wagon. That is how you will head to the ranch.”

Mr. Roush opened the doors to the blacksmiths and there it was the McCain’s wagon!
My Dad brought over the horses and Mr. Roush showed us how to harness them up. Then we loaded the wagon and we were off to the ranch.

It didn’t take to long, I thought it might take all day but it didn’t!

“WOW! What a place! It looks just like the pictures!” I said to my Dad
“ It sure does, lets unload and then we can put the horses in the barn along with the wagon. I would hate for anything to happen to this.” My Dad said

We got everything squared away with the wagon and the horses. The barn was in great shape for being so old. Things have been well kept. I could tell how much the McCain’s must have meant to North Fork for things to be so well kept.

Walking up to the house with butterflies in my stomach. I didn’t know what to expect when I opened the door.

I stood there for a second took a deep breath and turned the key. I pushed the door open slowly. Absorbing every thing I seen.

Me and my Dad stepped in and stood there for a minute looking at the room. I felt nothing but warmth, compassion, strength and love.  I walked over to the table and sat my bags down. I took a seat. Dad sat beside me.

“Mark, what are you thinking?” Dad asked

“ I’m not sure, I’ve never felt like I knew someone that I have never met before.”

“ I feel the same way, son.”

After we sat there for some time we checked out the rest of the place, I enjoyed looking at old pictures. Eating my dinner at their dinner table. Marks favorite apple pie was the best apple pie I ate!

I went out side and walked around looking at the trees and the beautiful grounds. Everything was just wonderful.

It was getting late and I needed to get some sleep I headed on to bed. It was some what sad because I knew tomorrow we were heading home.

I kneeled besides Marks bed and prayed. While I prayed for the first time I cried during a prayer.

After my prayer I fell fast asleep.

I woke up the next morning to the smell of eggs and bacon. I put my clothes on and headed to the kitchen.

“ Mr. Roush, why are you here?”

“ Well Mark, I came here to ask you something.”

“Okay, well what is it?”

“When your old enough would you be able to come work for us and take care of this ranch? I know your going to need sometime to think about this. Take all the time you need. If your plans are college we have a great one not to far from North Fork.”

I looked at my Dad. Then looked at Mr. Roush,” Well… How could I say NO!”
Mr. Roush smiled and said “ Well it is here for you when your able to work for us.”

Mr. Roush had left while me and Dad had begun to eat.

“ Well, Mark I bet you didn’t expect that?”

“No I sure didn’t. There is one thing that I didn’t expect even more then that though.”

“Really? What was that Mark?” Dad asked

“ My prayer was answered so quickly.”

Dad smiled and grabbed my shoulder. “I think you will do just fine here when that time comes.”

It was so hard to go back home and leave North Fork even though I knew I would be back.

I said goodbye to the town folks of North Fork and told them I would be seeing them again!

THE END ( for now)
Western Gal

:cowgirl2:

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: North Fork Bound 4

Post by Western Gal » Sat May 27, 2017 11:26 pm

Matthew:14020 wrote:It took me some time but I got it finished and posted! I hope everyone enjoys the completed story!!!!!!! :cool:
Western Gal

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Western Gal » Sat May 27, 2017 11:27 pm

rooster davis:14024 wrote:Matthew, that was a great story. Imagine actually going to North Fork and seeing and doing all those things...

I enjoy everything you write. You've got quite an imagination and your perspective as someone who's very similar (in my opinion) to Mark McCain gives your writing real insight.

One last thing, just a comment aside - God always answers our prayers. Maybe not the way we are hoping for, or maybe in a way we don't understand yet, but He answers them.

Happy New Year, and I look forward to more of your writing.
Western Gal

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Western Gal » Sat May 27, 2017 11:27 pm

Matthew:14025 wrote:Thanks Rooster, your right God does always answer our prayers. I think I will reword that in my story. Thanks!!
Western Gal

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Western Gal » Sat May 27, 2017 11:28 pm

BluewindFarm:14028 wrote:Wonderful story Matthew - thank you for sharing.
Western Gal

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Western Gal » Sat May 27, 2017 11:29 pm

Stargazer:14069 wrote:"...I’ve never felt like I knew someone that I have never met before.”

Loved this line, Matthew!  

Thanks so much for a wonderful story.  Keep them coming.  And, may God bless you in many ways!
Western Gal

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Western Gal » Sat May 27, 2017 11:30 pm

Michelle P.:14602 wrote:I LOVED this!  It gave me warm fuzzies all over, Matthew!  I just try to imagine what it would be like to step into the house and onto the ranch - the town - where the McCain's lived.  The butterflies would be there for me too.

Thanks for writing this, Matthew.  It had so much emotion in it.  I enjoyed this very much!!!
Western Gal

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Western Gal » Sat May 27, 2017 11:30 pm

Matthew:14612 wrote:Thanks Michelle! I'm glad you enjoyed it!!!!
Western Gal

Return to “'Matthew's Post'”