Cesare Danova.....Take me out to the ball game.....

Sweeney would like to welcome you to his place. Bar room chatter goes here, but only virtual drinks.
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Cesare Danova.....Take me out to the ball game.....

Post by cowgirl » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:19 am

Not sure how many of you know that Chuck Connors took Cesare Danova to his first baseball game.

When Danova first came to America, he was quoted as saying that he wished to lose his accent so that he would be able to play the role he most wanted, that of an American cowboy. In 1958, he got his wish. He made his American television debut in a first-season episode of The Rifleman (1958) called Duel of Honor.

MGM spent thousands of dollars importing Cesare Danova from Europe and keeping him under contract for the starring role role in Ben-Hur, then gave it to Charlton Heston―so that was Danova making his U. S. debut last week in support of Chuck Connors on a filmed Rifleman segment on TV. Pasadena Independent, Pasadena, California ― November 13, 1958.

Article: Italian Actor Studies Baseball ― The Pittsburgh Press, March 4, 1963
Cesare Danova, the Italian-born actor making his third guest appearance on The Rifleman Monday March 11, 1963, considers his introduction to baseball among the most interesting experiences he's had since coming to this country.

Chuck Connors, the one time Dodger who stars on The Rifleman, took Cesare Danova to his first baseball game.

"I'm sure even fans who grew up with baseball would learn something new about the game if they were setting with Chuck in his field box at Chavez Ravine, It's truly an experience..."

Danova's friendship with Connors dates from 1958 when he made his TV debut on the ABC-TV series Duel of Honor. Cesare played an Italian nobleman touring the American West.

"I was in this country for a role in Ben -Hur, when the producers of Chuck's series offered me the part."

He also appeared with Chuck in Arrest & Trial.

Danova is one of my favorite character actors on this show. He also was good on the eyes.

Cesare Danova
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Cesare Danova.....Take me out to the ball game.....

Post by wildwest » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:38 pm

Wow Cowgirl....this is a wonderful article. Cesare was a great actor and 'good on the eyes' as you said. thank you for sharing!!

Chuck seemed to make friends easily and help to further them in their careers if he could. He seemed like such a genuinely nice person and also "good on the eyes"

:horse02:
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Return to “The North Fork Saloon”