Bob Crane's son recalls 'Hogan's Heroes' star's double life, grisly 1978 murder

Lucas McCain was a busy man-taking care of Mark, running the ranch, and serving on the town council. When Lucas did get a chance to relax, he loved to sit down with a good book, perhaps something by Edgar Allan Poe or Charles Dickens. Lucas also instilled a love of reading in his son, such as the works of Mark Twain and perhaps Robert Louis Stevenson. Read any good books lately? Stop by the North Fork Literary Society at the North Fork Book Shoppe, Percy Bullock and Cora Seaver, proprietors.
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Bob Crane's son recalls 'Hogan's Heroes' star's double life, grisly 1978 murder

Post by cowgirl » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:22 am

I'm sure most of you, if not all of you remember the death of Bob Crane (Hogan's Heroes) in 1978.

A recent paperback published by Robert (son), titled “Crane: Sex, Celebrity, and My Father’s Unsolved Murder,” attempts to shed some light on the man behind the handsome, clean-cut persona.

I can't believe this has been 40 years.

I'm sure many of you have followed this through the years. This article on Fox News is quite interesting.....

“Crane: Sex, Celebrity, and My Father’s Unsolved Murder,”

Dana is our big reader here on the ranch and I thought she and others might be interested in reading this book.

If you do read this Dana, let us know what you think. :icon_study:
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Bob Crane's son recalls 'Hogan's Heroes' star's double life, grisly 1978 murder

Post by wildwest » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:39 pm

Yes I have always been intrigued by this Hollywood story. just like the Robert Wagner-Natalie Wood story which never seems to end as it is currently under investigation again as most of the original witnesses are dying off.

Dana, if you read this please let us know. You and Percy (Hostages to Fortune...Halloween episode) are our 'literary agents'.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Bob Crane's son recalls 'Hogan's Heroes' star's double life, grisly 1978 murder

Post by Deneen » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Not too much shocks me - Not even when I was younger.

I watched "Hogan's Heroes" - liked Bob Crane. I was surprised at the way he died - but at the time I thought: "Well - that's Hollywood."

I liked Natalie Wood - but I wasn't really shocked when she died.

I was surprised at the way David Carradine died - but not shocked.

No - I'm not a heart-less person but these people did not affect my everyday life. I'm sure the fans of these people were heart broken.

I have a friend that is still not over the death of Elvis Presley. :-|

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:29 am

I will definitely read it! I received two sam peckinpah books today.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:07 am

Dana wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:29 am
I will definitely read it! I received two sam peckinpah books today.
What books are they Dana?

You must have a library of your own or are they on Kindle or whatever they are using today?

Instead of calling this The Library / The Seavers / Bullock's Literary Society of North Fork
The McCain Ranch, we should have named this room after you. :sillycowboy:

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:56 pm

Thank you for your kind words, cowgirl! I get my geek on the old-fashioned way-with a real book. The books are "if they move...kill 'em" by David weddle and "the authentic death and contentious afterlife of billy the kid and pat Garrett" by Paul seydor.

The Bob crane murder has the dubious distinction of being the phoenix area's unsolved crimes.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:13 am

"If they move...kill 'em" and have read this. You will enjoy the parts with The Rifleman in it. Knowing how much you enjoy reading, I'm sure you will enjoy the whole book.

Return to “The Seavers / Bullock's Literary Society of North Fork”